Wikiposts

Help required

Old Aug 26th 2003, 8:05 am
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Fedupofuk2
Hi guys

responding to Tbiller - yes we do have that in writing, and it is common for them to do so.

And I will say hello to Coit Tower for you when I'm in San Fran.

Also wish good luck with your spousal visa.

To pulaski.

A friend of mine is in the states at the moment working at a radio station, so it is possible somehow. Just waiting an email response to find out how he did it.

And to Ray

No I'm not DLT, but I do know him and he is a good chap.

Right Chaps - Off to plan my escape. Any more advice
What station do you work for? (I'm in Long Eaton so I'll listen!)

Cheers - Tim
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Fedupofuk2 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Tbiller

Currently not on air at the mo.

But used to work for 106 Century FM, BBC Radio Nottingham, Mansfield 103.2, and also a station in outside Birmingham.

Cheers

leighton
Old Aug 26th 2003, 6:22 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Tbiller

Currently not on air at the mo.

But used to work for 106 Century FM, BBC Radio Nottingham, Mansfield 103.2, and also a station in outside Birmingham.

Cheers

leighton
Ah right. I've been known to listen to Graham Mack (sp?) in the mornings.....less stressful than those two on TrentFM

Good luck - Tim
Old Aug 27th 2003, 7:08 am
Just Joined

I know what u mean!

I am so looking forward to getting out to the states in two weeks on monday. God I miss, low cost of just about everything out there.
Old Aug 30th 2003, 4:20 am
Just Joined

So lets just say I have got myself the visa.

What hidden problems will I come across?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 11:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

So lets just say I have got myself the visa.

What hidden problems will I come across?
Thats a never ending question.... in relation to what ???
Old Aug 30th 2003, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

in relation to cost of living - you know electric, water?

Driving - we have car tax in the UK, what's the equilevant?
Old Aug 30th 2003, 2:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

in relation to cost of living - you know electric, water?

Driving - we have car tax in the UK, what's the equilevant?
For Florida.. Road fund license = tag fee about $48, petrol today about $1.63 gal..remembering that a US gallon is 20% less than a UK gallon.. Sales tax (VAT) varies from county to County slightly but 6%-7% in most

When buying a car..remember whatever the price is advertised at bears no relation to the actual cost...get a magnifying glass out and read the very tiny print at the bottom of the ad.. No advertising standards here...

Our Electric bill in the Summer is about $200 a month and the water about $100 a month but of course than can very by size of house, number of occupants, etc...cable is about $95 a month but that includes Road Runner cable internet...

House Insurance about $800..Car Insurance can vary considerably...without a Florida Licence about $1000 for 6 months.. Sure somebody will add a few things I have forgotten..
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

OK

taken into account driving and such like.

What hidden pitfalls can i face when buying a house.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 12:37 am
Ray

OK taken into account driving and such like.
I have posted this before...but would seem to address your question.
Here is my experience from a few years ago in Florida, Things may be slightly different in different areas but the basics are here. Realtor earn good commission’s here, so don’t be afraid to make them work , they will drive you around to show you property.
THIS IS FOR CASH BUYERS.
First thing you have to do on arrival is open a bank account, sounds easy but can take a bit of time, of course. You need an address over here to do that to make it a bit more complicated, but not insurmountable.
Some bank may accept a UK address. Deposit about $5000 cash (more or less)
Then find a house..Just like that, should be able to do that in a week or two.
Get yourself a buyer’s agent, not wise to use the Sellers agent. They don’t cost you a penny, they get there money from the sellers agent.
Then you make an offer via a contract (subject to inspection etc) lay down some earnest money say $2-$5K
Seller counter offers, this can go back and forward a bit..
Agree a price (subject to Home Inspection)
you arrange for a house inspection and a termite inspection (bit like an English survey) say $250) you pay this...get report from inspection check it carefully, request anything that need doing is done before closing (completion) or adjust price to cover anything.
Once this is all agreed contract is set up with the amendments you all sign ..Too late to back out now..You can get somebody out to do a property survey, which really just marks out the property boundaries and has nothing to do with the house itself, very few people bother with this on modern properties, usually done with older properties where over the years the actual boundary has become obscured.
During final contract signing you agree a closing date (pay time and move in) Once date is known you contact the utility companies, electric, water, telephone, cable, garbage collection, for new customers, most will require a deposit held for 2 years or so usually $100-$200 each. Definitely for the electric and water, maybe not for the cable and phone..
You arrange transfer of funds from your UK bank during all this, so you are ready to Close
Usually the day before the closing the property should be empty and you do a "walk thru" to ensure any item that should be there are there and its so called 'broom clean'
At the closing meeting usually at the title office you will pay the balance of the sum owed on the property In addition the buyer will have to pay recording (filing) fees for the deed but these will not normally exceed about $25-$50 each and any pro-rated property tax, home owners assoc. dues etc. which have already been paid by the seller, but for which you will gain the benefit..
There is also a state tax plus title insurance fee, which I think is paid by the seller $1000 each. Do check on that.
One all the paperwork is done you are given the keys etc..It’s yours..
Last thing . Go and get property insurance, At this time a lot of Insurance companies are pulling out of Florida (they claim too risky) but the State has an Insurance of last resort (Citizens insurance) Flood insurance is never included, So if you are thinking about buying near water check out Insurance very carefully.. Now you own a house in Florida ..You find you have many more friends that want to come and visit you.

If you are offered the purchase of existing furniture in the property, this can be a very good deal, do not have it added to the purchase price, Pay the seller separately.

Instead of a title office you can use an attorney but not needed if cash buyer and no mortgage to dick around with, and of course they are expensive...

In theory it could all be done in a week depending mostly on the sellers speed.. I think a month or more is more realistic.. That's where your buyer’s agent will come into play. They will be happy to conduct the closing for you without the need for you to come back. Although I think that's the best part of getting a new house...the fun of moving in and getting it all together..
I may have forgotten something but the main parts are there..

WHAT IS TITLE INSURANCE The purpose of title insurance is to secure your legal claim to the property and protect you against title "defects"—legal rights to a property claimed by somebody else. Unfortunately, hidden defects can surface even after you've gone through closing and a myriad of situations can stand between you and a marketable title with title insurance, the title insurer not only pays the costs if you're ever forced to defend your ownership in court, but covers any financial loss if the title defects can't be settled

Buying with a MORTGAGE is a lot more complicated and have not covered that at all.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:03 am
Ray

OK
taken into account driving and such like.
This guy may have useful info for you...he is a Florida Realtor based in the UK.. he has just started a board at:

http://ub8.homepagetools.com/FloridaGB/
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

cheers ray
Old Oct 11th 2003, 7:12 am
Just Joined

hi guys , just back from my latest holiday in the states.

West coast this time.

More determined to find a way out there. Already approach radio companies that sponsor employees. Just need to get the money together and oh yeah get the visas.