Wikiposts

Help required

Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Fedupofuk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help required

Hi gang

New to this forum lark, but require some help.

Me and my wife are wanting to emmigrate to the US, however I have got the first idea of how to go about it and not sure whether we would qualify.

I 28, am struggling to get work in the UK of the radio nature, I am GCSE educated while my wife who is 29, is the brains and has a degree.

Firstly what are the pros and cons of living in the US. ie taxes, salaries,

Compared to living in the uk (at the moment it can't be that bad!)

As my log in name suggests, I am fed of working hard, and having nothing to show for it when my payslip arrives through my door.

Also I am fed us our weather over here ( OK we've had a few good days this summer, but only a few).

Please help if you can. Not looking for an immediate get out of the UK, but definately in the next 5 years (time to plan my escape from this cell.)
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help required

First thing first what State are you interested in living in ...

Secondly go to http://www.visaamerica.com/mainpage.html

go thru the chart see what type of visa you could enter the US under..
Old Aug 21st 2003, 10:53 am
Just Joined

hi ray

Interested in Florida.

The climate there suits me. Thanks for the web link.
Old Aug 21st 2003, 3:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fedupofuk2
hi ray

Interested in Florida.

The climate there suits me. Thanks for the web link.
Now how did I know that....(LOL)
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:03 am
Just Joined

I know, but I don't mind another state.

Its just that I like florida, been out their a couple of times.

This year for a change I'm holidaying in Los Angeles and San Francisco. 3 weeks and can't wait.

So Ray, what's you story? How did you do it?
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:29 am
Ray

I know, but I don't mind another state.
Its just that I like florida, been out their a couple of times.
This year for a change I'm holidaying in Los Angeles and San Francisco. 3 weeks and can't wait.
So Ray, what's you story? How did you do it?
Sounds like a good trip to me! I have not visited that side since 1980...Got to be totally changed by now. Me!! I came on vacation for 3 months, bought a car, went to get car Insurance and my Insurance agent had Red hair... I got the full coverage with bonus.. been married a few years now...
Red headed women have always been my thing...
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:38 am
Just Joined

You are not missing much over here.

Alot of stealth taxes around.

just got my payslip today inland revenue has taken £300 off my wages for tax. So for working a couple of days overtime totalling 33 hours and for training a new colleague, I've basically come out with an extra £100 that usual.

That sucks!

Sounds like you got a few extras with your wife. ha ha

Good going fella.

So what part of the UK did you originate from?
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 12:46 am
Ray

You are not missing much over here.
Alot of stealth taxes around.
just got my payslip today inland revenue has taken £300 off my wages for tax. So for working a couple of days overtime totalling 33 hours and for training a new colleague, I've basically come out with an extra £100 that usual.
That sucks!
Sounds like you got a few extras with your wife. ha ha
Good going fella.
So what part of the UK did you originate from?
We have a few stealth taxes here too...and medical bill that give you a stroke...been around a fair bit..but basically a South London Boy..
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

don't you mean sarrrff landan mate
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 7:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... Please help if you can. Not looking for an immediate get out of the UK, but definately in the next 5 years (time to plan my escape from this cell.)
There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult, but if you really want to it is possible.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 23rd 2003 at 7:53 am.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks pulaski.

Well I am I radio presenter, professional job, hopefully qualify as skilled.

My wife has a degree, which she could use for teaching.

Plus the company we work for has been bought out by an american company and they offer a graduate degree programme (so she's in).

Any Thoughts
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:17 am
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I'm in Long Eaton, not far from you.

Well I am I radio presenter, professional job, hopefully qualify as skilled.
No comment

My wife has a degree, which she could use for teaching.
Has she taken any teaching courses? America is all about education these days (at least, that's my experience)
Plus the company we work for has been bought out by an american company and they offer a graduate degree programme (so she's in).
Colour me cynical but do you have that in writing? Is it common for them to transfer staff to the USA?
Any Thoughts
I think you may be in for the long haul here unless you are exceptionally lucky. And if you're get to SF on your holiday say Hi to the Coit Tower from me please. My wife is in SF while I wait out the spousal visa process here in England.

Also I am fed us our weather over here ( OK we've had a few good days this summer, but only a few).
You're kidding, right?

Cheers - Tim
Old Aug 24th 2003, 9:31 am
Ray

Well!!! if your really Dave lee Travis ..you know me !!!!
Old Aug 24th 2003, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Well I am I radio presenter, professional job, hopefully qualify as skilled. ....
Thats debatable , ..... but they're not necessarily in short supply in the US!

Under your circumstances I'd pursue the internal transfer option, if it's at all possible.
Old Aug 26th 2003, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Hi guys

responding to Tbiller - yes we do have that in writing, and it is common for them to do so.

And I will say hello to Coit Tower for you when I'm in San Fran.

Also wish good luck with your spousal visa.

To pulaski.

A friend of mine is in the states at the moment working at a radio station, so it is possible somehow. Just waiting an email response to find out how he did it.

And to Ray

No I'm not DLT, but I do know him and he is a good chap.

Right Chaps - Off to plan my escape. Any more advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.