Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Help re return temporarily to UK - moved toMBTTUK

Help re return temporarily to UK - moved toMBTTUK

Old Oct 30th 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all
Default Help re return temporarily to UK - moved toMBTTUK

Hi, looking for information re pensions.
Have lived in NZ for 45 years and currently have national superannuation.
I am presently in London as my son is seriously ill and may have ongoing neurological damage.
I have no idea how long I will be here.
My husband cannot fly for another 4 weeks - broken leg - we are trying to short let our house to subsidise accommodation here.
We had trip over earlier this year so that eats into our days allowed out of NZ before affecting pension.
My question is if I am here long term what are my options re pension in UK - what my husband found online says we could get about $8 a week!
Will try to get info here but the hold times on phone lines is not helpful as I am at the hospital a lot.
Any help from anyone with experience of this would be very helpful.
Hoping I won't actually need this advice and he makes progress.
Thank you
Old Oct 30th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help re return temporarily to UK

I have no advice I'm afraid ref pensions, but just wanted to say how sorry I am for your situation. I can't imagine the stress you must be under. The time difference complicates matters I'm sure. As I always like to get things in writing, I would probably be more inclined to work by email (New Zealand government website maybe a good place to start) as at least you don't have to suffer the "your call is important to us" rubbish; many hospitals have Internet cafes. Logistically, your husband may be better off handling this side of things whilst you are with your son.

I admire you as I have to admit in your situation, this would be the last thing I would be thinking about, although obviously it is important.

Be kind to yourself and take one day at a time. Wishing you all the very best.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 10:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help re return temporarily to UK

Hi Dorrick.

Sorry to read of your situation. I do hope your son starts to make headway for a good recovery.

Easy access to ongoing funds is all important isn't it for something like this. Been there with that although not pension when I had to return to the UK for an indefinite period for family reasons. Doesn't matter what horrible probs there are , one cannot survive on air.

I am going to move this thread into the Moving Back to the UK forum. Those in there are better placed to advise what may or may not be possible for you.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 10:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help re return temporarily to UK - moved toMBTTUK

I assume that you and your husband are both British citizens. Is that correct? If so, you have a right to reside in the UK.

The UK state pension depends on your National Insurance contributions, and the starting age varies according to your gender and when you were born. So, the first question is whether either of you have ever paid any National Insurance?

It is also possible to continue paying National Insurance contributions from abroad, but it doesn't sound like you've done that.

In the short term, you'll be dependent on your own resources, but in the longer term you may be entitled to some means-tested benefits, of which pension credit is probably the most important. It is going to depend on how much income you get from New Zealand.

If you are settling here to look after your son, there are a number of organisations that might help with practical advice and support. Start with Age UK. Their website is very informative.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As said, the amount of State pension you are eligible for in the UK is dependent on how much you have paid into National Insurance Contributions.

You have lived in NZ for 45 years, so unless you have paid into NIC that amount of $8 a week may be correct.

Your eligibility for benefits will have to be assessed - and if you are non resident (ie domiciled in NZ) these could be very limited.

If you find yourself remaining in the UK for any length of time you should contact the NZ superannuation people to see if you can receive your pension in the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 10:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dorrick
Hi, looking for information re pensions.
Have lived in NZ for 45 years and currently have national superannuation.
I am presently in London as my son is seriously ill and may have ongoing neurological damage.
I have no idea how long I will be here.
My husband cannot fly for another 4 weeks - broken leg - we are trying to short let our house to subsidise accommodation here.
We had trip over earlier this year so that eats into our days allowed out of NZ before affecting pension.
My question is if I am here long term what are my options re pension in UK - what my husband found online says we could get about $8 a week!
Will try to get info here but the hold times on phone lines is not helpful as I am at the hospital a lot.
Any help from anyone with experience of this would be very helpful.
Hoping I won't actually need this advice and he makes progress.
Thank you
So sorry to hear about your troubles Dorrick, my goodness you and your family have had a run of bad luck

New Zealand has a Social Security Agreement with the UK. Although I don't know heaps about it, I do know that there's some provisions for people who are temporarily in the UK to be allowed to count that time as being ordinarily resident in New Zealand (in other words, although you're in the UK, the time you're there will be counted as though you're still in NZ. This may mean that you can continue receiving your National Super.

As I say, I don't know heaps about it - here's a couple of links that give you the basics
http://www.workandincome.govt.nz/ind...-pensions.html
New Zealand Superannuation - Work and Income

I know how all consuming spending a lot of time at a son/daughter's hospital bed can be. Do you have family/friends in NZ who could follow up with the NZ Dept Work and Income for you? Unless it's your husband who contacts them, and you've expressly given him permission to talk about your payment, then they won't be able to get information specific to your pension, but they could at least find out if it's worth you following up.

I sincerely wish your boy (and your husband!) a speedy and full recovery.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 1:08 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You can use your NZ superannuation to qualify for UK state pension payments. You should contact the International Pensions people up in Newcastle.

Pension Service contact details
The Pension Service
The International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
United Kingdom
+44 191 218 7777
+44 191 218 7021
[email protected]
www.thepensionservice.gov.uk
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 7:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You can use your NZ superannuation to qualify for UK state pension payments. You should contact the International Pensions people up in Newcastle.

Pension Service contact details
The Pension Service
The International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
United Kingdom
+44 191 218 7777
+44 191 218 7021
[email protected]
www.thepensionservice.gov.uk

What good advice you give, Nun.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Thank you all for your help. I contacted the International Pensions and they are sending me the forms as NZ reciprocal scheme covers this. Will hold off for few weeks to see how things develop. We can manage short term but if we are here for long term need finances sorted.
My son is making good progress but still has long way to go.
Staying with daughter in her flat share at moment but trying to get short term rent for flat for when my husband arrives. Haven't rented for 40 years so all new. Agent informs me we will have to pay 6 months in advance as "income" not adequate! This is despite the fact that we are renting out our house in Auckland and have money in the bank, has to be UK income. In case anyone else needs this info - to rent a 1 bedroom flat near St George's hospital - rent £1100- 1200 pcm you need to prove "income" of £36000 per annum. Don't know how people survive in London.
Thanks again everyone