Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HELP Moving Money from US to UK

HELP Moving Money from US to UK

Old Mar 13th 2016, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP Moving Money from US to UK

Originally Posted by cyborg
As for what I can make in England. Use to live in the UK was a window cleaner its a hidden secret what we window cleaners make if you are fit and can handle the weather.
I'd be no good because I am hopeless climbing ladders. I would get halfway up and lose my nerve .

I also do blind cleaning pressure washing, gutter cleanings too.
Gutter cleaning is a big thing in the UK also. Another thing to consider is cleaning the moss and algae from roof tiles. There is growing demand for this. As far as I can see it is done using just a pressure washer. Be careful though - it's easier on a bungalow than a double-storey house.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, just before we left UK , our window cleaner of 20 years decided to pack it in. He could not handle the weather anymore and the days he could not work due to rain etc. He was the old fashioned bucket and ladder type and charged £15 for a 4 bed detached. He was replaced by a one man band with a van, a large tank of water, a 20 foot long pole with a squeegee on top with the water pumped to the squeegee. He charged £17 , plus £10 twice a year to clean the conservatory roof. Took him about 20/25 minutes. However, he only had 3 clients in our street as the others either did it themselves, or used one of his rivals.We lived in a town of 50,000 and there were at least 25 window cleaning firms listed!! His rivals often shoved leaflets through the door saying they would beat anyone elses price by at least £3.00.
good luck to the OP! Oh, don't try bringing all that dosh at once.Read what others have said - sensible advice.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

and NOT up tightass South.
Gosh, that really is a giant chip on your shoulder you've got about the South of England eh?! Both 'robbing' and 'tightass'.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but without an address, having no real access to a bank i will only be able to stay in a hotel until i have access to my funds cannot just take the whole amount home in cash. I need a way to set up an account with only my British passport and social number i guess.
Surely you'll be able to use your US card to withdraw money from your US account usint ATMs in the UK until you get your british bank account set up, and then you can transfer over your money? shouldn't take more than a few weeks? Or get a credit card to see you over the first couple of months then pay it all off when the money arrives?

I moved back to the UK and left a US bank account open until I'd done my final US tax return, then transferred the balance over using xe.com. Never had any problem accessing the US account from the UK - online & phone banking, depositing checks by phone app.