Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

HELP Moving Money from US to UK

HELP Moving Money from US to UK

Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP Moving Money from US to UK

Originally Posted by cyborg
The IOM wants either a job generating 50k a year or more or a regular deposit with at least 25k investment I need quicker access to my money once I sat down. My plan is to rent a place if possible from here in the US or after I get back, rent a hotel for a month, rent a house close to the business paying 6 months up front in light of having been gone 15 years and no rental history and bobs your uncle.

I think i might just do the cash route you only have to show its not stolen and with a bank note confirming it came from my business account here in the US I should be fine.

I do not trust banks when dealing with this kind of stuff between countries and any hold they put on my money. When I get the green light, have business sold and money just intend to leave the US. Have a hospital bill for 36k they can stick up their ass.

England here I come 6 more months.
If you are totally legit you have NOTHING to worry about. It is only the paranoid and the nitwits who trying to do "odd" things with their money who get caught out. .... For starters if you march into a bank in the UK having not lived in the UK for 15 years and dump $100k on the counter, their is a fairly high chance that the bank will file a confidential report with law enforcement detailing what they know about you and your money. The same applies if you have already vonverted it into pounds sterling, ..... and dribbling it in over seversl weeks or months is likely even worse.

In short, you can do it the easy way, or you can make things difficult for yourself, and in doing so you are massively more likely to have manufactured the problems you may experience.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

cyborg is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not honestly think with proof of withdrawn and a bank note stating the money is from the US along with proof green card having lived here for ages and a divorce they are going to think I just robbed a bank and if so, will deal with it. No desire to have my money tied up into savings when I will need it to buy a business once home.

I will figure this crap out before I leave I'm sure but they sure in hell don't make it easy to return home.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I do not honestly think with proof of withdrawn and a bank note stating the money is from the US along with proof green card having lived here for ages and a divorce they are going to think I just robbed a bank and if so, will deal with it. No desire to have my money tied up into savings when I will need it to buy a business once home.

I will figure this crap out before I leave I'm sure but they sure in hell don't make it easy to return home.
I have tried to help you deal with what you are trying to do, and I hope you can take the time to go back and read this thread again, perhaps more than once or twice, and see the good advice contained in this thread.

However at at the moment you appear to be one of those people who come here ostensibly asking for advice, but turn out to be really looking for confirmation and support for what you have decided to do. ..... You are embarking on a plan that has multiple risks and potential pitfalls that will be entirely of your own making. If that is what you want to do, then go for it.

I am happy to provide more help and guidance, but I can't in good conscience support your plans.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Well in my mind and also what I need to do with the money from day 1 having no job or means of income I will look at different courses of action but intend buying a business and having the cash upfront will secure a good deal.

Right now looking at any benefits, housing, etc that might be useful before the big move but still have a lot to settle here first anyway. This is a great site and I appreciate your helpful advise.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Try HSBC. they appear to have a branch in missouri. They can and do open local accounts for people relocating to another country before they move. ít is worthwhile as you do your proof of address in US/ ID etc. instead of having to wait to get address in UK to open an account. I would agree with Pulaski. On no account take the money in cash, they have sniffer dogs trained to sniff out cash, and there will be no end of trouble and questions, plus you may lose it
International Banking: Opening an Account | HSBC
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

First contact also assist with uk bank accounts for new arrivals-

Open UK Bank Account | 1st Contact Kickstart | How to open a UK Bank Account
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well in my mind and also what I need to do with the money from day 1 having no job or means of income I will look at different courses of action but intend buying a business and having the cash upfront will secure a good deal.

Right now looking at any benefits, housing, etc that might be useful before the big move but still have a lot to settle here first anyway. This is a great site and I appreciate your helpful advise.
You are of course joking?

$90,000 may seem like a lot of money to you, I don't know, but it isn't enough to buy a business.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You are of course joking?

$90,000 may seem like a lot of money to you, I don't know, but it isn't enough to buy a business.
The OP said in post #13 he is planning to buy a window cleaning business. Presumably the assets employed in such a business are relatively limited and therefore, inexpensive.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys yeah I will try those links very helpful.

I am looking at buying another window cleaning business like i have here but where we Brits have it done more regular 4k to 6k income a month should be enough for me to live comfortable - not looking at living in the robbing South of England. York, Chester, Manchester and failing finding the right window cleaning business would consider a kiosk so have enough to buy one of those types of businesses to create a decent living standard. 6k a month be living like a King in Manchester LOL
Old Mar 10th 2016, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

You can also open an account with HSBC. Sounds like everyone else is giving you good advice. I wouldn't dare being it over in cash. I'm sure it doesn't take long to transfer over once you open an account in uk once you're there. Maybe bring over a couple of thousand in cash and you will have enough to tide you over till the transfer is through
Old Mar 12th 2016, 7:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking at buying another window cleaning business like i have here but where we Brits have it done more regular 4k to 6k income a month should be enough for me to live comfortable - not looking at living in the robbing South of England. York, Chester, Manchester and failing finding the right window cleaning business would consider a kiosk so have enough to buy one of those types of businesses to create a decent living standard. 6k a month be living like a King in Manchester LOL
Are you sure about that income though? Seems awfully high to me for a window cleaner. Remember that UK window cleaners charge an awful lot less than those in North America.

Mine charges me £20, for 26 windows and 2 large (10') French doors - 13 of those windows are large sash windows as well with the little panes so take extra time. Takes him just over an hour usually.

So going on that, say £20 an hour and assuming he works 8 hours a day but knocking off one hour for driving between jobs, that's an equivalent of £36,400 a year (less if he takes holiday). That's a monthly income after tax of around £2300, nowhere near £6000. Plus he'll have to take off all his expenditure i.e. petrol, insurances, gear.

And I'm in the commuter belt of London, the 'robbing' part of England, so perhaps you might get less in the areas you're looking at.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you sure about that income though? Seems awfully high to me for a window cleaner.
I think the OP has made a mistake with those income estimates. If his top-end estimate (£72,000 per annum) is correct, perhaps we should all become window cleaners .

...after tax ...
If the rumours are true, window cleaners in the UK are very modest about their income when filling-in the self-assessment tax return .
Old Mar 12th 2016, 11:00 am

Are you sure about that income though? Seems awfully high to me for a window cleaner. Remember that UK window cleaners charge an awful lot less than those in North America.

Mine charges me £20, for 26 windows and 2 large (10') French doors - 13 of those windows are large sash windows as well with the little panes so take extra time. Takes him just over an hour usually.

So going on that, say £20 an hour and assuming he works 8 hours a day but knocking off one hour for driving between jobs, that's an equivalent of £36,400 a year (less if he takes holiday). That's a monthly income after tax of around £2300, nowhere near £6000. Plus he'll have to take off all his expenditure i.e. petrol, insurances, gear.

And I'm in the commuter belt of London, the 'robbing' part of England, so perhaps you might get less in the areas you're looking at.
I suspect that you are getting a volume discount and that a cleaner can charge say £5 for far fewer windows, such as the front and back of a terraced house, or £10 for an suburban semi, AND in an urban/ suburban area go up and down a street with negligible time per house. He may also factor in having a assistant that he pays close to minimum wage, so he can leverage that extra labour.

Four houses per hour at £10, seven hours per day, five days per week, 48 weeks per year comes to £67,000 gross revenue.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 12th 2016 at 11:20 am.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 11:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
If the rumours are true, window cleaners in the UK are very modest about their income when filling-in the self-assessment tax return .
Oh, I'm sure. Still not £6k a month though! I'd be very wary of anybody selling a window cleaning business claiming those figures personally, just don't see how it's possible unless they have multiple employees and commercial contracts (which would presumably mean the business would cost far more in the first place).
Old Mar 13th 2016, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Don't sweat it guys unless you decide becoming a window cleaner is the life for you. Window cleaning has near to no overheads I make $90k now in the US working part time between mid March and Mid Dec usually about 4 hours a day with my minimum $125 and earn a minimum of $90 an hour. Mind you, I also do blind cleaning pressure washing, gutter cleanings too. In fact, have a huge job which is about almost 2 weeks paint on approximately 90 blinds on a new commercial site, I am charging $90 per blind to clean them so far, just started the job have done 15 blinds in a day.

As for what I can make in England. Use to live in the UK was a window cleaner its a hidden secret what we window cleaners make if you are fit and can handle the weather.

I just miss England and ready to start over again, even for a few years, maybe sell it later and buy a kiosk as I get older but generally 4k to 6k a month is possible as a solo window cleaner offering other services too and NOT up tightass South.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.