Hello, just wondering about some information - US/UK Couple

Hello, just wondering about some information - US/UK Couple

Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:00 am
Just Joined

anastasia17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello, just wondering about some information - US/UK Couple

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I thought your son was not born yet.
You can't file an application for a passport until he is.

The first step (you can do before he is born) is to write to the UK embassy in Washington DC to ask for a paper copy of the application form. Hint, get two copies in case you mess one up. Explain, briefly, the circumstances in your letter. Be brief, no-one will read a long tome.

So ask for two copies of Form C2 and related notes
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa
Regional Passport Processing Centre, Washington DC
British Embassy
19 Observatory Circle N.W.
Washington DC 20008

If this is all too slow the alternative is to get him a US passport, (because it is a bit faster) and have him enter the UK as a six month visitor. Then, after arrival, and within six months, apply for that UK passport in England. The problem is that he would have to travel with either you or your husband (with a notaized letter of consent from the other) or with both. Or, possibly, not sure, with the grandmother with letters from both. And that is not likely to be convenient. "Unaccompanied minor" airline travel is not possible for babies.
Thank you so much! And no, Figured I would wait until he was born haha. Just trying to get things planned out so as to save time later on.

Another thing, will me going on WIC, and or Medicaid affect us getting the spouse visa? Will they see that as us not being able to sustain ourselves?

2. If I go on WIC and Medicaid just for the pregnancy, will it affect my husband being able to get a visa should plan A (me getting a UK spouse visa) fall through?

Have only a few weeks left until hes due, so we want to make sure we can secure plan A, AND plan B, and if not, on to plan C

Thank you so much guys!
Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anastasia17
... Another thing, will me going on WIC, and or Medicaid affect us getting the spouse visa? Will they see that as us not being able to sustain ourselves?
2. If I go on WIC and Medicaid just for the pregnancy, will it affect my husband being able to get a visa should plan A (me getting a UK spouse visa) fall through?
I don't know how the Brits will react to WIC etc. but I suspect it will not be a problem because (1) it is foreign (not UK) stuff so they don't want to get involved and (2) Husband is exempt from financial requirements anyway.

However it certainly won't hurt to say you plan to take up employment just as soon as you are allowed to. UK expectation of the length of postpartum maternity leave are a lot longer than US expectations, in general. So expect sympathy as a new mum, and enjoy it while it lasts, it's a wonderful time in your life. You will find that, in general the UK is less wealthy but more compassionate as a nation (even with the unspeakable politicians).

They may not ask for hospital records (but I would get a copy just in case). Apparently this is all about the passport people believing that you gave birth to this child rather than adopted him, so a fresh (not issued years after the birth) birth certificate may be all they ask for. An adopted child would not qualify for UK citizenship, or at least not in the same way.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 4:22 am
Just Joined

I don't know how the Brits will react to WIC etc. but I suspect it will not be a problem because (1) it is foreign (not UK) stuff so they don't want to get involved and (2) Husband is exempt from financial requirements anyway.

However it certainly won't hurt to say you plan to take up employment just as soon as you are allowed to. UK expectation of the length of postpartum maternity leave are a lot longer than US expectations, in general. So expect sympathy as a new mum, and enjoy it while it lasts, it's a wonderful time in your life. You will find that, in general the UK is less wealthy but more compassionate as a nation (even with the unspeakable politicians).

They may not ask for hospital records (but I would get a copy just in case). Apparently this is all about the passport people believing that you gave birth to this child rather than adopted him, so a fresh (not issued years after the birth) birth certificate may be all they ask for. An adopted child would not qualify for UK citizenship, or at least not in the same way.
So just as long as I show them I don't intend on taking advantage, or abusing Medicaid or WIC, and only using it while I really need it, it shouldn't effect the spouse application right?

We didn't think it would, but it's simple stuff like this that could most likely get us later on in the future.

We're really looking at it right now, because with the future hospital bills that we've seen, they're outrageous!

On the secondary hand, saying my spouse application doesn't go through and we have to revert to plan B, CR-1 visa for him, would me being on either of those, WIC/Medicaid, will it effect a CR-1 application for him? We've stayed off of it as long as we can because we weren't completely sure, and we've paid dearly for it ever since.

And another question on my mind, how long does it generally take for a UK spouse visa to go through?

*Keeping in mind we send all the right applications and evidence of our son's birth records, our marriage records, proof of meeting, etc etc*
Old Sep 20th 2012, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about CR-1.

Please research spouse visa on
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk

My reading of it is that a decision could come very quickly once you have the paperwork together. The biggest obstacle seems to be that you should apply no earlier than three months before hoped-for travel date. Please don't rely on my reading, read it for yourself. As I say, the Brits won't care about WIC or Medicaid if you are exempt from financial requirements on grounds of husband's disability.

Child passport, allow six weeks.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...ultTableAnchor
gives April 2012 USA processing times, median (50% of applications) is between 15 and 40 days. 99% decided within 60 days, assuming you get your paperwork right, so read the instructions carefully.

The conservative thing to do then would be to apply for child passport and spouse visa at the same time in one mailing (with a cover letter making it clear there are two separate application packages in the envelope) as soon as discharged from hospital and can get conforming photos of baby.

A reason for doing both together is the likelihood of getting some unofficial expedited processing for humanitarian reasons with husband being disabled.

Last edited by holly_1948; Sep 20th 2012 at 7:28 am.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

... Child passport, allow six weeks.
Reportedly, three to four weeks is typical. Six weeks is a good figure to put in your plans and dovetails nicely with spouse visa processing times.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Hello, just wondering about some information - US/UK Couple

Reportedly, three to four weeks is typical. Six weeks is a good figure to put in your plans and dovetails nicely with spouse visa processing times.
okay, after I put everything together, had my son on the 19th of october. my husband gave me his paperwork for his DLA, and ESA, and DLA is only 98 altogether with high carer's. But with his ESA, he's making 300 pounds every 2 weeks, and so thats nearly 400 pounds every two weeks.

Question is, are they solely relying on the DLA amount? Even though he has ESA? He only gets about 50 pounds in deductions and thats it, everything else is his, so do you guys think UKBA will deny us because his DLA isn't 111.75 pounds every week or w.e that was?

Just wondering, and hope to find out some more info for the spouse visa!