Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Heading Back in One Month!!

Heading Back in One Month!!

Old Nov 6th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Heading Back in One Month!!

So after originally intending to move my flight and go back in February when my work permit runs out, I am heading back in December 2nd afterall! I must say I'm pretty excited and it's even better that I'll be back on time to enjoy the run up to Christmas!

I am of course nervous as I will be leaving my other half behind as he has another year on his work permit! Gonna miss him but I'm sure I'll cope, I managed being away from all those friends and family for a good while! Also I have never travelled on my own before and I'm absolutely dreading going back to Heathrow airport! lol

One question I have that's been bothering me;

What do I do with my work permit? I know I have to hand it over before leaving Canada but to who or where do I give it?

My time in Canada although short has been full of ups and downs, like everyone's I'm sure and I'm looking forward to getting back to Northern Ireland and I now feel I have a different perspective on everything. Can't say I'll never go back to Canada as I do like the place in general, just don't love the area I'm located!

Good luck to everyone else who is also making the move!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Heading Back in One Month!!

Congratulations on the move back. Does your hubby have to remain behind for work then?

If you're flying back with BA then they use the new terminal 5 that's a breeze compared with the others.

I wasn't aware you had to hand your work permit back on leaving Canada. When we ping-ponged back to the UK for six months at the end of 2004 I just chucked mine in the bin....
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

Thanks!

Yeah, he wants to see it through, problem was when we came here because we're not married I couldn't go on his work permit so I had to get my own so his was for 2 years and mine 1 year, so we always kinda expected that I would probably have to go home before him! lol I will see him in July though as he's coming over for a visit!

I'm flying back with Air Canada from Edmonton, so it will be terminal 3 in Heathrow I get into then I gotta get to terminal 1 to catch a flight with Aer Lingus to Belfast! By that point I'll have had no sleep for a day so I'm sure I'll be a right pleasant one! lol

I dunno about the work permit, I always though I'd have to hand it over to show I had left when I said I would, maybe I'm wrong though!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirstine

I'm flying back with Air Canada from Edmonton, so it will be terminal 3 in Heathrow I get into then I gotta get to terminal 1 to catch a flight with Aer Lingus to Belfast! By that point I'll have had no sleep for a day so I'm sure I'll be a right pleasant one! lol

Don't worry about going through Heathrow you'll be fine from what I remember there is a shuttle bus from T3 to T1. Usually your bags are checked all the way through so that saves a bit of hassle. Have a safe trip and try and enjoy your last few weeks in Canada
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! Flights are booked separately so unfortunately will have to pick up my bags! I think we walked between Terminal 1 and 3 last time so it should be ok it's just the thought of doing it all on my own! lol
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I never handed my work permit back in after BUNAC, it just expires on the date shown. I enclosed a copy with my PR application and in fact I still have it now!

All the best with the move back,

A
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

Good luck with your move back

Heathrow is easy to navigate (compared to Sydney in my experience) and you may find that travelling solo gives you an increased sense of independence and confidence with future adventures
Old Nov 7th 2009, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes for your return Kirstine
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Rosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond reputeRosylady has a reputation beyond repute

All good wishes for your move back home Kirstine. I'm soooo jealous. It won't be long before OH will be with you again. You must be getting so excited. Do you think you will ever come back ? I hope you will keep in touch once you get settled again. Thanks for the P.M re- signs.
All the best and good Luck xx
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:17 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew into Heathrow 3 weeks ago on my own, its was really easy, they even told us which belt our luggage would come on to.

You will be fine. - Good luck
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

A week and a half until I head home now! Scared is an understatement as to how I feel...I feel exactly the same as I did when I was leaving the UK to come here! Although I'm excited but it just seems to have all crept up on me and I'm a bit teary about it all.

I kinda realised too that I do like Canada but I'm just not done with Northern Ireland if that makes sense, so you never know I might be back in Canada in the future.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Are you flying on the 2nd? We'll wave at your Edmonton flight from our Calgary flight

(We're just holidaying, but I can understand your excitement/fear!)
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
Are you flying on the 2nd? We'll wave at your Edmonton flight from our Calgary flight

(We're just holidaying, but I can understand your excitement/fear!)
Yup flying out on that evening, landing in Heathrow 9:30 that next morning, won't get home to Belfast until 4:30! I'm gonna be terribly grumpy when I eventually get home! lol
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In which case, our plane will be chasing yours all the way.

Safe travels
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just bringing this to the top again to wish you well on your return tomorrow Kirstine. I hope the packing and farewells have not been too tortuous and best wishes to sunny N Ireland on your arrival !

Report back when you get a mo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.