Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

having a "are we doing the right thing day"

having a "are we doing the right thing day"

Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default having a "are we doing the right thing day"

after almost 6 years in Spain we finally decided 2 weeks ago to move back to the UK - thats me, hubby and our 12 year old son

have spent the last 2 weeks being excited and finding out about schools, removals and all the other stuff involved but today for some reason Im worrying

We have chosen to return rather than being forced and the main reason is a health issue with me and wanting to be near my friends/family

Having a choice has made the decision VERY difficult but I know I will be a lot happier back there

Friends of our say we are mad for "wanting" to go back but Im sure we will appreciate the things we have missed for the last 6 years

have you all gone through this stage, Im hoping it wont last for long !
Old Aug 31st 2008, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: having a "are we doing the right thing day"

Wether you are moving from or to your native country, it is a huge step and is bound to cause you to question the decision, it is a part of the process. Just because you are returning whence you came, there are still unkowns. Friends who think you are 'mad' are not you & do not have your unique experiences or set of circumstances, so try to follow your heart & not have doubt cast by others.
Very best of luck
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:44 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:35 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I had afew wobbly moments But very pleased we saw it through, life for us would of been so much harder if we had tried to hang-on-in their
And yes we do see the Uk through very different eyes Totally agree with the above comment on following your heart
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

UK friends and family nearly always think one is mad to move back. It is the typical ignorant grass is greener thing. All they think of is sunshine and that your life is one big holiday... everyone gets this. Ignore it. I have just moved back from the CDS and am v. happy for it.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm feeling exactly the same right now as you'll see from my other thread "Why am I so indecisive".

I find myself changing my mind 10+ times a day now, going from feeling certain one minute that going home is what I want, to feeling certain the next minute that I'm better off staying here.

I hate being so indecisive but I just don't know how to cure it!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen

Normally I am not an indecisive person but on this subject I'm exactly the same way - 10+ times a day. It does your head in!
Do you think that the decision to return being so much harder than the decision to leave the UK in the first place is a clear cut sign?!
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:55 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Normally I am not an indecisive person but on this subject I'm exactly the same way - 10+ times a day. It does your head in!
Do you think that the decision to return being so much harder than the decision to leave the UK in the first place is a clear cut sign?!
Definitely not..............Nobody wants to make a mistake, and as lots feel they have already made one by leaving the UK ( HOME) in the first place. Its only natural to be worried your going to make another
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
Definitely not..............Nobody wants to make a mistake, and as lots feel they have already made one by leaving the UK ( HOME) in the first place. Its only natural to be worried your going to make another
I totally agree.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy with the decision and really looking forward to going back, I just get upset thinking of my son and him leaving his friends behind, kids he has grown up with for the last 6 years

I know we are doing the right thing and hope to be making the move very soon
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Your son will make new friends, don't worry!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

I worry about that too as my son is 11 years , we only have him so he has no other family here and as they are all so far away has not spent a great deal of time with them only on trips back to the Uk. He has really good friends here and will miss them but he is so excited about the thought of living in England and cried his eyes out for two hours when we cancelled our flights two weeks ago which amazed me. We are now taking more time and will be going back before he starts 2nd term of high school in January. When we first cancelled I felt relieved and we really had a day or two when we thought we wont go will stay here its the easier option but only a few days later the same feellings came back that we do want to do this and its a good time for us as my OH not working as well.

So for us its all systems go again and I am sure we will have many wobbly moments. I find when you get all the comments from friends here and family there about you being crazy its good to be able to come on here and know that you are not mad and other people are going through exactly the same thing
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:02 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to bet that everyone who has moved anywhere has had many "are we doing the right thing days".

Moving within a short distance is stressful enough. But moving thousands of miles is terrifying.

I remember when we were in the process of moving back to the UK, we had about a million conversations with each other - all exactly the same content really but in the end you have to just follow your heart. In my opinion, the very fact that you are discussing moving back home means that it isn't right where you are.

We dithered and dawdled for months before we finally booked the flights home but have never once regretted coming home.

Good luck to all of you returnees - be brave and follow your heart.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:19 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by backagen
I'm feeling exactly the same right now as you'll see from my other thread "Why am I so indecisive".

I find myself changing my mind 10+ times a day now, going from feeling certain one minute that going home is what I want, to feeling certain the next minute that I'm better off staying here.

Here's how......

You are what you think you are.

If you believe that you are indecisive...you will be. If you believe that you are a decisive person....you will be.

Train your subconscious mind to accept that you are a decisive person - and you will be. Affirm to yourself everyday something like "I am a strong decisive person, I always make the right decisions" - then you will be, you will be happy with your decision!!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.