Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Having a change of heart about wedding location.

Having a change of heart about wedding location.

Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:39 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having a change of heart about wedding location.

Hello everyone
As most of you probably know I'm a UKC and Jeff, my fiance is a USC. We met in 2002 when I was teaching in the USA, fell in love, Jeff proposed in October 2003 and in Dec. 2003 we sent off the I-129F and have got to the NOA2 stage so we are well on our way.
The thing is, because its been quite a whirlwind of events (propposals, visas, new jobs, moving house etc) and we've concentrated mainly on just getting the visa so we can get married so we can be together a.s.a.p. However, when we received our NOA2 the other day, it really hit me, that flutter of nerves and panic as it dawned on me that I'm really getting married! Suddenly, besides realising I really need to get my ass in the gym, I realised I hadn't really thought about the reality of having an actual wedding before. I had just went along with everything and didn't really stop to think about what I actually want to happen at my wedding.
Deep down I know I want to have it in England. I have 20 family members I would like to invite and around 10 friends, whereas Jeff has about 8 people he wants to invite, so it does make more sense in that way. I just kinda realised that I'm going to be leaving all my family to go to America anyway and I want to get married with as many of my family and friends around me as possible. I told Jeff how I felt and he was very understanding about it and wants to make me happy and agrees that we'd have just as great a wedding in England. However, because we are now half way into K1 proceedings, we don't want to stop and start some different visa, we were thinking that practically and for legal reasons, we could get married in the states first in a civil ceremony and then come back to England and have the church gig and the party that we want. I was just wondering if any of you guys know of any stumbling blocks that we may occur if we do decide to carry out our new plans?
Thanks guys, hope I've made sense but I've just got off the phone to Jeff and its 2am here and I'm knackered!

Sarah
Old Jan 18th 2004, 1:44 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a change of heart about wedding location.

Hi Sarah,
It depends on how long you're willing to go between the civil ceremony in the states and that church wedding, etc. on England. The K1 is giving you permission to enter the US for marriage to a US citizen and assumes you will remain. After your legal marriage in the US, you can not leave the country without AP or Advance Parole. If you do that, your AOS application is considered abandoned and you are subject to a re-entry ban. AP is not a guaranteed thing, either.

Someone else will know more about the other options that may be available to you, but if you want to go back right away for the "wedding" in England, I don't think that's going to happen. Hope someone else has another idea for you.

~SG
Old Jan 18th 2004, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by SecretGarden
Hi Sarah,
It depends on how long you're willing to go between the civil ceremony in the states and that church wedding, etc. on England. The K1 is giving you permission to enter the US for marriage to a US citizen and assumes you will remain. After your legal marriage in the US, you can not leave the country without AP or Advance Parole. If you do that, your AOS application is considered abandoned and you are subject to a re-entry ban. AP is not a guaranteed thing, either.

Someone else will know more about the other options that may be available to you, but if you want to go back right away for the "wedding" in England, I don't think that's going to happen. Hope someone else has another idea for you.

~SG
How quickly the AP can be issued depends on the district office the OP will go through. Bequibar came through on her K-1 in mid-October and went back on AP to get her little K-2 in December. That's a breakneck schedule considering that she had to fit getting married in there, but some district offices make it possible.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 9:37 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel Sarah. My parents would have been able to come but my mother needs quite a big operation soon which means that a) she won't be able to travel and b) she'll be going into hospital around the time I'm moving which makes me feel awful and c) they're moving back to the UK.

I think you need to keep it as simple as possible given all the "stuff" you have to do.

Here's what we're doing. Steve has taken over all the planning for the US wedding as I think my head's going to explode! As soon as I can I'll apply for AP so I can travel to see my parents. I'm lucky in that Boston takes walk in APs.

Once I'm settled in and have got into my US routine then we'll be going for a UK/Ireland blessing. That will be our "proper" celebration. We're keeping the US one lighthearted and fun with just our friends there and the family thing later.
Old Jan 18th 2004, 11:38 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what we're doing. Steve has taken over all the planning for the US wedding as I think my head's going to explode! As soon as I can I'll apply for AP so I can travel to see my parents. I'm lucky in that Boston takes walk in APs.

Once I'm settled in and have got into my US routine then we'll be going for a UK/Ireland blessing. That will be our "proper" celebration. We're keeping the US one lighthearted and fun with just our friends there and the family thing later. [/QUOTE]

Hiya,
Heres what we're thinking of doing; Jeff and I have got jobs lined up for June July & August back at the place where we first met so we were thinking of doing the civil ceremony in May when I go over and then getting on with working for the whole summer. Then sometime in early September coming back to England to have the other wedding/blessing and celebration. Also because we want to go on honeymoon from there as I've got a very rich and very kind uncle who has a villa near Barcelona who said we could go and honeymoon there. What do you think of that plan, does that sound more do-able? Jeff and I will be in Penn state, I don't know if we'd be able to go to Philly and get an AP thingy or whatever. Surely they must have something in place for couples who want to go abroad for honeymoon or what if there was a family emergency? They can't simply say 'sorry if you go on honeymoon or to see your family you can't come back in.' Or can they? It wouldn't suprise me!

Sarah (tearing hair out, banging head against keyboard)
Old Jan 18th 2004, 12:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SarahUK

Once I'm settled in and have got into my US routine then we'll be going for a UK/Ireland blessing. That will be our "proper" celebration. We're keeping the US one lighthearted and fun with just our friends there and the family thing later.
Hiya,
Heres what we're thinking of doing; Jeff and I have got jobs lined up for June July & August back at the place where we first met so we were thinking of doing the civil ceremony in May when I go over and then getting on with working for the whole summer. Then sometime in early September coming back to England to have the other wedding/blessing and celebration. Also because we want to go on honeymoon from there as I've got a very rich and very kind uncle who has a villa near Barcelona who said we could go and honeymoon there. What do you think of that plan, does that sound more do-able? Jeff and I will be in Penn state, I don't know if we'd be able to go to Philly and get an AP thingy or whatever. Surely they must have something in place for couples who want to go abroad for honeymoon or what if there was a family emergency? They can't simply say 'sorry if you go on honeymoon or to see your family you can't come back in.' Or can they? It wouldn't suprise me!

Sarah (tearing hair out, banging head against keyboard) [/QUOTE]

Sarah,
That sounds like a plan-all you have to do is find out how Philly does APs. Post a thread asking that maybe? Or check out in archives?
Old Jan 18th 2004, 2:15 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan Sarah and a good one at that. This is a link that Rete provided to AOS experiences. I've pulled up the Philly page for you.

http://www.kamya.com/aos/pennsylvania.html#philly

and this is the USCIS link to your field office which gives the opening hours and walk in policy.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...ia/aboutus.htm
Old Jan 18th 2004, 3:38 pm
Senior Moment

Originally posted by sibsie
Sounds like a plan Sarah and a good one at that. This is a link that Rete provided to AOS experiences. I've pulled up the Philly page for you.

http://www.kamya.com/aos/pennsylvania.html#philly

and this is the USCIS link to your field office which gives the opening hours and walk in policy.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffic...ia/aboutus.htm

Sibs,
You're a legend! Thank you honey!

Sarah x
Old Jan 18th 2004, 3:43 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by SarahUK
Sibs,
You're a legend! Thank you honey!

Sarah x
I'm only a legend in my own lunchtime.