Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Having both a UK and US driving license

Having both a UK and US driving license

Old Sep 5th 2023, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Slalomdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having both a UK and US driving license

Later this month, I am heading back to the Uk to fly my wife and dogs over before I move back permanently in Jan. My mum offered to put me on her car insurance to let me drive it for the week. She called her insurance company today and they asked if I had a full Uk license which I do, it was issued in 1986. She then went on to tell my mum that it is illegal to have both a UK and US license and they would not put me on the policy for this fact. Any one heard of such an issue? I cannot find anything on UK GOV website .
Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2023, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having both a UK and US driving license

When you moved to the USA, you had two possibilities depending which state you moved to.
1. You could exchange your drivers license for a US license for that state.
2. You would need to sit a US drivers test to get a license.
You should have given up your UK license.
In that case, when you return to the UK you simply apply for the re-issue of your UK license.
You will need your US license when you return to the US.
Perhaps you could just rent a car for the week on your UK license and apply for a replacement UK license in January.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Slalomdude is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean rent a car on my US license? That is an option, albeit way more expensive than being added to her policy.
When I moved to the US, I simply applied and took a test for the license there. I guess it never occurred to me to give up my Uk license. I figured you could just have both like I have two passports.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 11:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

To hold a valid UK DL you must be a UK resident and have a UK address. Yes you may hang onto your UK DL, perhaps using a relative or friend’s address, and use it to rent or use a car in the UK. Problem is if you are involved in any type of accident. The insurance company will search for any excuse not to pay up. That excuse would be that you are driving on an invalid UK DL and you are also breaking the law.
Old Sep 6th 2023, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
To hold a valid UK DL you must be a UK resident and have a UK address. Yes you may hang onto your UK DL, perhaps using a relative or friend’s address, and use it to rent or use a car in the UK. Problem is if you are involved in any type of accident. The insurance company will search for any excuse not to pay up. That excuse would be that you are driving on an invalid UK DL and you are also breaking the law.
This is exactly the problem. I held onto my UK Licence for 29 years while living in the USA but it wasn't valid until I had returned and had the address updated to the place we were renting as our home.

In 2010 my wife's father was seriously ill, and subsequently died, and we came back for a 10 week stay. He put me on his insurance so I could drive his car and we used my US licence, no problem. It was similar this past year when our daughter moved back from the USA and did not have a UK licence at all so I added her to my car insurance so she could get about in our second car. (We had bought a new car and she was buying our existing car rather than have us trade it in or sell it). Again, no problem in adding her with her US licence (California, but I don't think it mattered).
Old Sep 27th 2023, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

OldEastEnder is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick tangent to this discussion.

My wife (a US citizen) lived with me in the UK from 2002-2005 and passed her UK driving test. She also has her US licence. We are moving back to the UK next year and I was wondering if her UK licence will still be valid or will she have to take her UK driving test again? Or can she exchange her US licence for a UK one?
Old Sep 27th 2023, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

There will be an expiration date on the UK licence. Even if it is beyond the expiration date I would first try and renew it. If she only admits to having a US then a new UK test is guaranteed but renewing an expired UK licence won’t necessarily require a repeat test.

https://news.jardinemotors.co.uk/how...ce-has-expired

If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence. This is especially the case if your licence has expired due to age (driving licences need to be renewed when you reach seventy years of age) or for medical reasons. For these, you may also have to pass a medical. In other cases, you can simply apply for a new licence without problem, although the DVLA will often want to know why your licence has been expired for so long.

Last edited by durham_lad; Sep 27th 2023 at 5:39 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2023, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

OldEastEnder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
There will be an expiration date on the UK licence. Even if it is beyond the expiration date I would first try and renew it. If she only admits to having a US then a new UK test is guaranteed but renewing an expired UK licence won’t necessarily require a repeat test.

https://news.jardinemotors.co.uk/how...ce-has-expired
Thanks for that, lad. Yes, her licence has expired. So has mine (in 2014). Does that mean I could have to take my test again? I'm a UK citizen and passed my test in the UK in 1984.
Old Sep 27th 2023, 6:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldEastEnder
Thanks for that, lad. Yes, her licence has expired. So has mine (in 2014). Does that mean I could have to take my test again? I'm a UK citizen and passed my test in the UK in 1984.
You only need to take a UK driving test once. If your license has expired while you were resident outside the UK, you just need to apply for a new licence to be issued to you.
Old Sep 27th 2023, 6:29 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot believe this question continues
You can not have a valid UK Drivers License if you do not have a valid UK address
Old Sep 27th 2023, 7:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I cannot believe this question continues
You can not have a valid UK Drivers License if you do not have a valid UK address
I don't think anyone said otherwise, did they? And you didn't quote anyone saying otherwise.

The OP is moving back to the UK next January, so will be resident in the UK and eligible for a UK licence at that time, consistent with your observation.
Old Sep 27th 2023, 10:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You only need to take a UK driving test once. If your license has expired while you were resident outside the UK, you just need to apply for a new licence to be issued to you.
You will be expected to surrender your US license when exchanging.
Old Sep 27th 2023, 10:57 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone said otherwise, did they? And you didn't quote anyone saying otherwise.

The OP is moving back to the UK next January, so will be resident in the UK and eligible for a UK licence at that time, consistent with your observation.
It is in the Thread Title.
Old Sep 28th 2023, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by RICH
It is in the Thread Title.
You are right.
Old Sep 28th 2023, 1:09 am
BE Irregular

You are right.
As usual

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.