Have you...

Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice
Default Have you...

moved or planning to move to a different area of the UK when you return?

We are looking at doing this and wanted to hear other peoples thoughts, experiences etc.

We are thinking it is time to move on and find a new place in the UK from the one we left
Old Aug 21st 2012, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all
Default Re: Have you...

Originally Posted by NZ4Now

We are looking at doing this and wanted to hear other peoples thoughts, experiences etc.

We are thinking it is time to move on and find a new place in the UK from the one we left
This is something that we will do if (when!) we return. We are currently in Welly and were originally in the south-east (Essex). Having talked about it in detail we would be returning mostly to be near family so don't want to move too far but also somewhere that the work is available for my husband.

Looking at house prices we think Norwich is an option but I still want to research the surrounding areas. We don't want to return to a town or new estate so are looking at the villages within commuter distance to Norwich for jobs.

We still have our house on Essex so need to reach a definite decision in a few months so we know whether to start looking for a new job and know how long to continue renting out our house. Pretty much 99% sure that we're returning though... Doesn't take away that feeling of dread at the fear of the unknown.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:05 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in Oz for nearly 5 years now and am hoping to return to the UK next year. I was going to return earlier but my horrible boss has left so I'm staying a wee bit longer as I can save a bit more money. I don't want to return to where I came from in Sussex and my flat there is currently on the market. I do want to be close to my family, that is the main reason I am going home, but I'd like to move up North, Cheshire way or even Yorkshire maybe? I love it up there, friendly people, amazing countryside and also cheaper housing generally - depends where you look though! It would only be a couple of hours drive down South which I think nothing of now after working in the Outback and driving 7 hours to go to the movies, eat pizza and enjoy a bit of civilisation lol! If I did decide to stay on the South Coast I would move somewhere like Portsmouth, always really liked it there and so much to do, great nightlife, shops, university etc. For me, personally, moving back to my old home would be like going full circle and ending up right where I started so I think a fresh start would be good. Good luck with whatever you decide

Last edited by MissBetty; Aug 21st 2012 at 3:30 am.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:25 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live in North Staffordshire, on the edge of the Peak District. Whether or not to move back there, from Canada, when we go back to the UK in a couple of years time is a question we've been asking ourselves for years now. We seem to have finally decided to go to the West Country instead. It is a difficult decision.

On the one hand, we were very happy there and only moved away reluctantly because of my husband's work. We still have friends there who keep in touch. On the other hand, we don't have any deep roots in the area. We'd only moved there from London in 1996.

I have a strong gut feeling that it is a mistake to go back, because it won't be the same, and is bound to be a disappointment in some ways. We will be retired when we go back, and it will be interesting to have a new area to explore.

But, at the end of the day, house prices and availability are key factors. Looking on Rightmove there are more houses in the West Country that would suit us, and we are seeing very little that is suitable in the area we used to live.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

Editha, would you mind specifying what the West Country is?
I'm always trying to pay attention to where people say they want to live and figure out why and whatnot.
For us it's a matter of being almost completely ignorant of all places in England and really wanting to learn all we can and make as informed of a decision as possible.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:20 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

If we go back it will be to a different area. The one we left is very expensive and has little sense of community because it has just turned into a huddle of commuter towns. Also, it was very far from both families so we will move to be closer to them if/when we return.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
I'm always trying to pay attention to where people say they want to live and figure out why and whatnot.
For us it's a matter of being almost completely ignorant of all places in England and really wanting to learn all we can and make as informed of a decision as possible.
Hi Beccarose

The West Country is a generic term for the south west of England, usually comprising the counties of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. It's mainly low rolling hills getting more rugged the further west you go. Lots of market towns, and mainly conservative/liberal in politics.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we have been in NZ 5.5 years and came from the Midlands.
We decided to go somewhere completly different just by watching a couple of property programmes.
We researched North Yorkshire and thought it looked ideal.
We have rented a house we saw on rightmove. The OH is now there and has said it is amazing.

Carole
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

We currently live in Malta and came from Aberdeen in Scotland. We are going back to the UK in December and we have no desire to return to Aberdeen, as someone said it would feel like going full circle, and we don't want that. Instead we are moving to Hampshire area, probably around Chandlers Ford/Romsey area. Nice area and an easy commute to Southampton for more jobs. The area is much cheaper than Aberdeen too, Aberdeen is too expensive, only affordable if you work in the oil industry. I am really excited about going to a different area, it is still close enough toi family in Aberdeen and it still feels like going home but also somewhere different ifykwim.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

We were planning to but our older Son was accepted by a Uni in the North West (both our boys still live with us) so we headed back there but to a different area which helps, we still want to live somewhere completely different but as my Dh says we will have our time when the boys move out, in the meantime we are exploring other parts of the UK and in a way its been good to do that.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 3:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
I think of the West Country as Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, and Dorset, including the city of Bristol. That is the traditional definition. However the official South-West region does include Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and the Isles of Scilly.

You will also see the term "Wessex" used for the West Country. That refers to both the ancient Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Wessex, which was centred in the South-West, and to the novelist Thomas Hardy's Wessex -- he set all of his novels in the West Country and called it Wessex.

Last edited by Editha; Aug 21st 2012 at 3:49 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

It's weird. We had to come back to my old home town due to financial and doggie issues(!!) Also my family home does need some work and then we have to decide whether we sell or rent it out.

I was dreading coming back because it did feel like we were going full circle however I knew it would only be a stop gap until we moved up to London. I will say though, now that I'm back here it's actually quite comforting.

Moving back after 15 years means there's quite a culture shock. It does feel easier being back in a town I know so well. The local surgery centre still know me, the local Barclays branch know my family and I still had an account there. I know where to buy groceries, where to get my phone unlocked (!) where to buy the best iced buns (!!) - so much more manageable than having to deal with new geography.

Hopefully we'll be up in London in a month or so but I'll feel more "at home" in the UK by then!

Make sense?!?!?!?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 6:35 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

I guess I am... well maybe not such a different area, I was born in Romford, and am going to New Cross for school. After that, I'd really like to live in Essex, I like the looks of it and it's just sort of got in my head that I'd like to live there. Fingers crossed! But I'd really like to see more of England in general, there's bound to be a place that just calls to me more than anywhere else at the right time (Essex!) so I'm looking forward to that.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:04 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
It's weird. We had to come back to my old home town due to financial and doggie issues(!!) Also my family home does need some work and then we have to decide whether we sell or rent it out.

I was dreading coming back because it did feel like we were going full circle however I knew it would only be a stop gap until we moved up to London. I will say though, now that I'm back here it's actually quite comforting.

Moving back after 15 years means there's quite a culture shock. It does feel easier being back in a town I know so well. The local surgery centre still know me, the local Barclays branch know my family and I still had an account there. I know where to buy groceries, where to get my phone unlocked (!) where to buy the best iced buns (!!) - so much more manageable than having to deal with new geography.

Hopefully we'll be up in London in a month or so but I'll feel more "at home" in the UK by then!

Make sense?!?!?!?
Totally makes sense, it must be lovely to have that sense of familiarity after so long away

The town where I used to live has become quite a run down depressing place over the last few years. I bought in one of the nicer parts of town so hopefully my property will sell soon but I feel no strong urge to go back there. On the other hand I'll be living with my parents for the first 6 months and they live in a little country village, all 'ye olde' pubs, stone churches, cream teas, village fetes and little old ladies walking their dogs lol! Funny that the place I turned my nose up at when I was 16 (when I knew everything of course!) and left without a backwards glance, is the place I'm actually looking forward to living for a while

I've no idea where I'll end up even though I have a rough idea of places I like, I'll see how it goes! Since moving to Oz by myself, surviving 5 years of ups and downs all by my lonesome, been through good times and some very bad times, seen the best and worst of people I feel a much stronger person now. I wouldn't be fazed by moving to a new place in the UK where I knew no one whereas I may well have hesitated before. As I mentioned in my previous post 3 hours drive to see the family is 'just down the road' to me now lol!

Last edited by MissBetty; Aug 21st 2012 at 11:09 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong the town I was born in and now moved back to has become a complete shit hole. But I'm trying to remain positive (and I hide in my house eating cake.....which helps!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.