Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken their pets on the QM2

Has anyone taken their pets on the QM2

Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:15 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone taken their pets on the QM2

Originally Posted by TruBrit
we are booked next yr on the QM2 with our two cats. check out http://www.cruisecritic.com/ and read about petowners who have taken the transatlantic crossing with their pets. i used to work for BA and have seen the horror on the animals faces when they arrive at their destination ..those that survive that is
We used Pets on the Move and I've documented our cat and dog's journey before so I won't write it all again.
Our pets were fine and bouncing around immediately.
However, when I think about it now I think we were very lucky. Our cat was 12 and our dog had an undiagnosed heart condition.
I wouldn't put them through it again if we went back to the UK.

I would use the QE2. I'd send OH and the kids on the plane and the animals and I would sail
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4N6 XPT
I came across this with Continental Airlines. They seem to allow you to take your cats on board with you if they're small enough.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...s/default.aspx
yes on domestic but not international flights.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We used Pets on the Move and I've documented our cat and dog's journey before so I won't write it all again.
Our pets were fine and bouncing around immediately.
However, when I think about it now I think we were very lucky. Our cat was 12 and our dog had an undiagnosed heart condition.
I wouldn't put them through it again if we went back to the UK.

I would use the QE2. I'd send OH and the kids on the plane and the animals and I would sail
btw it's the QM2 now that does the transatlantic voyages. our two cats are 12 yrs young and there's no way i'd have them put in the hold of an aircraft again, certainly not at their advancing yrs

the fares on the QM2 fluctuates depending on the cabin/deck etc. it's considerably more than flying however the fares for the pets are much cheaper so in a way it almost balances itself out depending on how many passengers etc. but for us there wasn't much in it.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

btw it's the QM2 now that does the transatlantic voyages. our two cats are 12 yrs young and there's no way i'd have them put in the hold of an aircraft again, certainly not at their advancing yrs

the fares on the QM2 fluctuates depending on the cabin/deck etc. it's considerably more than flying however the fares for the pets are much cheaper so in a way it almost balances itself out depending on how many passengers etc. but for us there wasn't much in it.
Plus there is no luggage restriction on the QM2.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking at the QM2 for my trip back home. Traveling alone is expensive even on the cheapest fare/deck. So, I'm wondering how much each of my cats would cost - how much cheaper is it than their fare on a plane ride back home?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Marmalade
I've been looking at the QM2 for my trip back home. Traveling alone is expensive even on the cheapest fare/deck. So, I'm wondering how much each of my cats would cost - how much cheaper is it than their fare on a plane ride back home?
$300 each cat and didn't get a quote from the airlines for flying cats back to the uk as that was irrelevant in our case. however from various threads on here i've read it's considerably more to send them with an airline. it was pretty pricey 6yrs ago when we brought them out with continental.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

$300 each cat and didn't get a quote from the airlines for flying cats back to the uk as that was irrelevant in our case. however from various threads on here i've read it's considerably more to send them with an airline. it was pretty pricey 6yrs ago when we brought them out with continental.
Wow, that does sound cheap. Is the $300 all inclusive, meaning their bed and board plus food etc?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Wow, that does sound cheap. Is the $300 all inclusive, meaning their bed and board plus food etc?
yes afaik to this point. $500 for dogs. cunard will get in any special food for them also. call cunard and check. jessica is in charge of the pets and will return your call. only a limited amount of kennels, 12 i think so one has to book early as QM2 only sails April>Oct/Nov.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes afaik to this point. $500 for dogs. cunard will get in any special food for them also. call cunard and check. jessica is in charge of the pets and will return your call. only a limited amount of kennels, 12 i think so one has to book early as QM2 only sails April>Oct/Nov.
Thanks, I'll look into it
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a great thread- am replying to it to bring it back to the forefront!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
This is a great thread- am replying to it to bring it back to the forefront!!
OK tomorrow I'll put a link to this thread in the Wiki.