Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved back to the UK for reasons other than family?

Has anyone moved back to the UK for reasons other than family?

Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has anyone moved back to the UK for reasons other than family?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, my return was the result of temporary insanity.
Love it! lol
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone moved back to the UK for reasons other than family?

I found this site as I was asking the same question... I am 32 years old and moved to sunny Florida when i was just 12 years old, however I have always missed the UK and never quiet felt at home anyplace i have lived in the U.S. I find myself at British pubs and the relationships I have I prefer with British men. I miss the sense of humor , having things to reminisce about. Over the pat five year excluding 2009 I have been back every christmas and when I am there I never want to leave. I am from Birmingham. I had a good job and nice things here in Florida once but due to a break up and the economic crisis, I have lost everything once again and must start over and i am thinking going back to the UK to do it. My sister moved back last year and the only ones left are me and my mother. We are visiting in August for 2 weeks. I am so excited we are gathering as much info as we can and should we feel its the right thing we will come come home , get our dogs prepared and sell everything and save to head home... Another great thing as many have mentioned is that it is so easy to go to other parts of Europe and work and play. i find Americans "live to work" and us Brits "work to live" we may not have everything but at the end of the day we are all honest and all have pint and recognize we are in it together. My only issue is I have now obtained U.S citizen ship so i dont know the best way of doing this... It may sound crazy to give up living 20 minutes from Fort Lauderdale beach, but i am in a deep depression and just dont feel at home anywhere anymore... i am so excited for my trip , so many friends and family I can't wait. i don't know what I would do for work in the Uk that is a little dauting as i am a Property Manager for apartment homes here in the U.S .... But i think i have had everything stripped away for a reason for a chance to start again and 70% of me feels home is the U.K......
Any thoughts?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:21 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has anyone moved back to the UK for reasons other than family?

Originally Posted by alexleeson
Just wondering if anyone has moved back to the UK for reasons that have nothing to do with missing family?

I have no family left in the UK (parents passed away) and only a handful of friends, but still I am contemplating returning at some point. Part of the reason is education for the kids, part of the reason is proximty to Europe and ability to travel.

I just wanted to know if there are other people out there whose motivating factor to go back to the UK was not family?

Thanks
We're moving back next month. When we were deciding whether to go we took out friends and family (not that we don't get on with them but we are fairly independent of our families, we would build up a network of friends wherever we ended up) and looked at education, opportunites, healthcare, and mainly our finances. We should be able to pay off our mortgage fairly soon over there and then should be pretty sorted for paying for kids universities etc, retirement etc. Over in Oz we wouldn't be able to do that.

For us the bonus is that the kids will see their grandparents more often for a few hours at a time rather than having them all staying with us for months on end!!!