Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anyone Got a uk mortgage lately

Has anyone Got a uk mortgage lately

Old Jan 21st 2011, 8:44 am
Just Joined

SmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really nice
Default Has anyone Got a uk mortgage lately

I want to move home, a lot, we have our house here and would sell. We should do pretty well and have a hefty deposit, 65%. But I have read about how the Banks (boo, hisss) just aren't lending.
Has anyone returned and successfully got a mortgage lately, if so how long after getting home and were they in full employment or self employed.
I have tried to contact expatriate-mortgages.co.uk, but they haven't replied to my mail and when I just tried to phone them no one picked up. Are they bust because they cant get anyone a mortgage?

I need to fully convince my wife and this would help.

Apologies if this is thread already, I did a search
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:12 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone Got a uk mortgage lately

i moved back in nov 09 , right in the middle of the global melt down . My suggestion is definetly brokers and dont bother going direct to banks especilally the HSBC .
i was getting YES to a mortgage without a job with a hefty deposit ,so i cant see it being any different for you . I do have the number of a very good broker here on the south coast , i will PM you with it and it maybe good just to talk to him and just be honest , he will work with you .
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:55 am
Just Joined

SmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really niceSmallGoodWolf is just really nice

Hi King Kong,
That sounds great, I would reallly like to talk to your broker.
It seems that the PM system is not active until I do 3 posts, this is my second.
Could you email me it please at [edit] contact details are in forum profile... email or PM[/edit] , that would be great, thanks.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 21st 2011 at 5:57 pm. Reason: email addy removed by mod
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SmallGoodWolf
Hi King Kong,
That sounds great, I would reallly like to talk to your broker.
It seems that the PM system is not active until I do 3 posts, this is my second.
Could you email me it please at [email protected] , that would be great, thanks.
You might want to delete your email address - not a good idea to post on a public forum (sweeper software will pick it up and you could end up with all sorts of problems, like your email address being used to send spam).

Just post a "dummy" third post (respond to my post to say "I've deleted my email address") and you will be able to send PMs.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Ah yes, that was thoughtless of me, your completely correct. Thanks for cleaning up my posts.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

I want to move home, a lot, we have our house here and would sell. We should do pretty well and have a hefty deposit, 65%. But I have read about how the Banks (boo, hisss) just aren't lending.
Has anyone returned and successfully got a mortgage lately, if so how long after getting home and were they in full employment or self employed.
I have tried to contact expatriate-mortgages.co.uk, but they haven't replied to my mail and when I just tried to phone them no one picked up. Are they bust because they cant get anyone a mortgage?

We got a mortgage in September having come back in July. I had just started working and was still in my probationary period, but they took my work record in oz into account and - because we had a big deposit - we were prioritised. We used a broker near my work. Part of a big chain called Alexander Hall who are connected to Foxtons. The estate agent who sold us the house also had an in-house broker who was keen for our business and we used this to get a 50% reduction in Alexander Halls fees. The gave some good advice - such as not stumping up more than 40% deposit (apparently the deals don't get any better after that). In the end we got a 2.99% 2-year fix with Santander which wasn't bad.

Last edited by mbike; Jan 22nd 2011 at 7:38 pm. Reason: forgot to mention bank
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived back into Uk in December and I will start work on 1st February.

Based upon a 50% deposit, we already have Agreement in Principle from HSBC, tracker at 1.79 above base, no fees, no early redemption charges.

Basically, the day I start work, they would be able to process the mortgage application (although for us it will not happen as we still haven't found the right house to buy)

Just as a note, I do not bank with HSBC, never have, so I can only suggest that the deals are out there if you have a substantial deposit. Life might be tougher if you only have a small deposit.

Peter
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:15 am
Just Joined

This is all good news to me. I was getting a bit worried as I had more of a doom and gloom outlook from a mortgage broker I contacted, saying it would take at least three and more like six months. I think the thing they are really looking at is full time employment.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:18 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

This is all good news to me. I was getting a bit worried as I had more of a doom and gloom outlook from a mortgage broker I contacted, saying it would take at least three and more like six months. I think the thing they are really looking at is full time employment.
the impression im getting is if you got a fairly large deposit there really isnt an issue , its the young ones with no deposit who are finding it really tough .
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Laura_Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Like me! Aah well, they'll be something for me I hope.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

High we moved back last year and we were offered a Mortgate by Halifax while in Aus and one by the HSBC once we were in the U.K.....the bigger the deposit the happier the banks are but HSBC do offer 10% mortgages with two options...one a fixed rate for two years about 5.2% at the moment might of just gone up and a tracker Mortgage which is about 4.8% but shop around as what right for some might not be right for others......good luck...
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

rozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud ofrozellem has much to be proud of

What would the SMALLEST DEPOSIT be that you could get away with these days? We selling our 2 bed flat in London soon, and the buyer would prob be a first time buyer. Just wondering how they manage these days and how many of them get approved. The experts always said its the first timers who drive the market, is that still the case? We in Sydney since 08, so a bit out of loop.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Hello SGW, Why a bank? Try Nationwide Building Soc, Britannia, Halifax, Abbey, South Staffordshire, and see how they respond - just a thought--. dontheturner