Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
Now, life has become settled again, and that familiar day to day routine makes staying a while longer seem tempting.
That's really interesting as I've finally got in to a familiar day to day routine with a steady job etc and that's made me think about moving back more than anything.. like " Oh this is my life for the next "X" years , get up , go to work, home , dinner, sleep then repeat - not any different to being at home except I don't get to see family and close friends".

This has been a real catalyst for me in terms of deciding that I will return home for certain when I get a bit older.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anybody else chosen to delay moving back to UK and how did that work out?

we nearly went to Calgary 2008. ( after several years in OZ, but I am from Uk ) We never made it, my partners brother disappeared at the time of the job offer, after a 10 day police and rescue search he was found dead. By the time it was over the job offer was gone.

I think now even more than then I regret we didnt make it.

However we did put in a visa application for Investor visa, the estimated time was 3+ years. Its now been just over 2 years.

Since then one teen has gone overseas, one is in grade 12 and I have the third in IB to minimise any education disruption.

The dollar is up about about 20% on '08, house prices if we sold up would be lower wiping out a lot of the increased income we have made past 2 years in OZ.

2 people who got job offers at the same time as us, one is still there, one went back to UK. The ride for the one who stayed was far from easy, pay cuts, weeks without work/pay. It wasnt a picnic no rose tints here.

I think the overwhelming thing I learnt is you cant even begin to guess how it will turn out. BUT the gut feeling I had to go at the time was right, despite the fact at times it would have been hell. But at the time we had the opportunity a major crisis hit here.

So now to the Business Visa, Waiting patiently but one day

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 13th 2011 at 3:02 am.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Don't forget to post your details in flight tracker so we can cheer you on. And good luck with the move, I bet you are so excited.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702280
I've just put my flight details into the thread Beedubya
Old Jun 13th 2011, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
That's really interesting as I've finally got in to a familiar day to day routine with a steady job etc and that's made me think about moving back more than anything.. like " Oh this is my life for the next "X" years , get up , go to work, home , dinner, sleep then repeat - not any different to being at home except I don't get to see family and close friends".

This has been a real catalyst for me in terms of deciding that I will return home for certain when I get a bit older.
I like my day to day routine because it starts up on the local hill, walking with my dog, looking out for coyotes, deer and porcupines. That's the best bit of the day! After that I'm stuck in the office until the evening walk.

Still, there are plenty of hills in Lancashire. If we're lucky, we will just be swopping the deer, coyotes and porcupines for sheep, foxes and hedgehogs.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:17 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
I've just put my flight details into the thread Beedubya

Have a great trip and just think you will soon be HOME. I'll put the kettle on for a brew LOL.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Just wondering if anybody else, that wanted to move back to the UK, chose to wait for a few years, and how that worked out?

I know there's no right answer of course. Just interested in learning from our different experiences.

Thanks

Calgary Pete ( Lancashire Pete again, some day)
I am constantly flitting to staying and moving back with not really knowing why. I do enjoy being in Canada and I also have a job and my hubby has a good job. The kids love their school and we are renovating our home. We have been here nearly 3 years but still things don`t feel right. But again, we are also afraid of making the wrong choice and move back and regret it. We are planning a trip to the UK in Sept and it will be 3 years since being back so I think that will be the telling time of where we want to permanently live.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amardan
I am constantly flitting to staying and moving back with not really knowing why. I do enjoy being in Canada and I also have a job and my hubby has a good job. The kids love their school and we are renovating our home. We have been here nearly 3 years but still things don`t feel right. But again, we are also afraid of making the wrong choice and move back and regret it. We are planning a trip to the UK in Sept and it will be 3 years since being back so I think that will be the telling time of where we want to permanently live.
I've been back to the UK on holiday a few times, to try to help me decide whether to return. But the trouble is, when you're back, you're on holiday and you're visiting lots of people, so it's not really like being back. What I should have done during my UK holiday is get up at 5:30 every morning, join the rest of the commuters, and spend the whole week stuck in an office. That would be a fairer comparison!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

RR2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

great thread.. the input has already helped me.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We decided about a year ago that we didn't want to stay in Canada, for lots of reasons (but I think there's another thread for that ). We visited and looked at New Zealand, which does seem to be an improvement, but wondered if we'd really just be exchanging for similar problems somewhere else?

We considered moving back this spring (briefly) but recognise that in a lot of ways we will be better off to stay put, get the house looking as good as we can, and then sell next spring and go back. Our 2nd child is also due in November, and it's very important to me to have continuity of care, which we wouldn't get if we move before the baby comes. As a by-product, the baby will also have dual citizenship, which might be good for it in the future.

Our actual date for flights and moving will be determined by when the house completes, hopefully in the spring
Old Jun 15th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

If money were no object I would go back asap.
Yes ditto, but I keep thinking Ill never have any more money living in Sydney! I would love to be back for next Summer! Thanks for all your thoughts I wish in some ways Id only brought a suitcase and not everything.... and ofcourse I have an Aussie cat to take back!

Good luck!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

We haven't delayed as such, but by the time we leave it will be just over a year since we made the commitment to head back. A lot of thinking time!

My daughter finishes school in November and ironically I am due a kind of a "loyalty" payment from my employer which I want to ensure is in the bank before I give notice.

Our animals have just had their rabies shots so the clock will start ticking soon once their blood is drawn, as they can be shipped six months after that.

I'm sure I can get work but not neccessarily in the UK!! This is my main concern as my wife and daughter will be based in the UK whatever happens, and I may end up working, for example, in Africa.

The location doesn't worry me in the least, but if things work out this way then handling periods of separation will be the main challenge. We will be able to visit each other (in both directions) but this will be something new.

The only thing that scares me more is the thought of rocking up in the UK without a job! It seems as I get older I worry more about financial security, rather than less, although I am better off now than at any period previously.

I am very grateful for the hand I have been dealt in life so far, but until I have a new job I will continue to feel doubtful and somewhat insecure.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Limeynic is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if anybody else, that wanted to move back to the UK, chose to wait for a few years, and how that worked out?

I know there's no right answer of course. Just interested in learning from our different experiences.

Thanks

Calgary Pete ( Lancashire Pete again, some day)
Were heading back to Lancashire on Aug 12 after living in TX for 13.5 years. Original plan was 1 yr! Things are going fairly smoothly though no credit rating meant we had to pay 6 months in advance on a house rental and buy a car cash. Good luck with your plans.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Limeynic
Were heading back to Lancashire on Aug 12 after living in TX for 13.5 years. Original plan was 1 yr! Things are going fairly smoothly though no credit rating meant we had to pay 6 months in advance on a house rental and buy a car cash. Good luck with your plans.
If you don't mind me asking, how did you find a house rental before you arrived?
Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Limeynic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
If you don't mind me asking, how did you find a house rental before you arrived?
We used Rightmove.co.Uk & google earth & we paid a deposit $ signed an indemnity that we would rent without viewing. Then we wired the money for the whole 6 months the week my husband was leaving & as soon as he got if the plane he went to the estate agent to sign lease & pick up keys. It took some wrangling with estate agent for them to agree to it and us being willing to lease based of photos however we were somewhat familiar with the area and google earth was a great help to check out the whole neighborhood.

It was important to us in such a large move that our 4 US born children had a home as soon as we landed and although we have some family there no one had space for 6!

It was a risk but it has all worked out well so far.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh interesting - thanks. I've seen some houses that I'd be willing to do that for too, but my husband is less comfortable with the idea. It's interesting to know that there are agents willing to do it. Like you, we have to have a home when we land as we have 3 pets and I can't impose that on family. Of course they also make renting harder but that's life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.