Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Had a phone call from my Mum....

Had a phone call from my Mum....

Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:04 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Had a phone call from my Mum....

Update; I've agreed to go an a rekkie to QLD as OH really wants me to see it as I might really like it and want to live there. So, off I'm trotting, in July with my mate for a week. No problem.

I've been feeling not quite so sick to the stomach homesick for the last few weeks, you know, chance of a new adventure, new start away from Perth looming on the horizon etc, then......Mum called last night, well, you could've blown me down with a feather when she said "Sweetheart, Bob (her chap) and I are going to do a rekkie in Devon. We're thinking of moving there." This has thrown me completely back into turmoil as Devon is where we would be moving to if we were to go back to the UK. Mum currently lives in Herefordshire. So, if she does move there, that means all of the family would be there, OH's and mine.

Now, I don't want to go to QLD, not even for a rekkie, just in case I do like it, I just want to go back as quickly as possible and have all of the family close to us. How fab!

OH will sh*t a brick when he wakes up and I break the news. He will know that my heart will not be into going to QLD. He knows I won't give it a fair rekkie. I can't really cancel as I will be letting my mate down who really does want to go and live there. Bugger. Money wasting exercise coming up!

Just wanted to vent. So excited at the thought of being back in the UK with ALL of the family close to us. God, I love 'em!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:47 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Had a phone call from my Mum....

Hi Tracey, i also made the move from one state to another Melbourne to here Perth, i thought that if i moved away from Melbourne to somewhere new my homesickness would disappear but it hasn't it's still here. I dont regret trying somewhere else but my feelings have never changed i still long for home think would no matter what state i lived in i miss my family so much they were my support network and i know in my heart that i will only ever be 100% happy back with them.

This is not meant to put you off trying a new place before home just letting you know how it was for me, i know im in perth for a while yet so i just getting on with it hopefully i will be home one day.

good luck

kezx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:49 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no!!! God Tracey what are you gonna do!!
Everyday seems to be such a struggle, then you feel your getting somewhere, then you take a step back again....how on earth do you cope dear!!
You know what i would do...go on the reccie, come back and just be honest. A week in Brissy is not going to tell you what it's like to live there.
And to be honest living in Devon will be fantastic, it's so beautiful there, plus your family will be with you, what more could be better.
I envy you really, you are having the chance to go to Brissy anyway, or on the other hand you know that better things await you.
It's just doing it, but once you have done it i don't think there will be any regrets. The pressure is actually doing the move again, but once that is out of the way you can only look forward to what you have wanted deep down.
I really hope things go well on your hol to Brissy as you never know, but i think it won't solve the pain.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

I agee with Rach, too be honest Tracey you will feel no different in Bris and as I said to you before they really are anti poms there, my mates comes upon it every day and her hubbie said he works with some right a....holes!!!

You obviously dont want this rekkie thing, to me its sounds like you want to go back and to be honest all that money etc going there and then after 6 months hating it, it will upset you and the kids and OH..

Really its a beautiful place but its EXACTLY the same as Perth, same house prices now, same bills etc etc and still expensive to go on holiday and your further away from UK 21 hours flight!!!.....

I was exactly the same as you, but do you know I feel happier now than I have for a very long time and yes UK is shit but Im soo happy to be going home, I feel a skip in my walk and me and OH are getting on really brilliantly, as we really were at the end of our relationship.....

Kath xxxxx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Update; I've agreed to go an a rekkie to QLD as OH really wants me to see it as I might really like it and want to live there. So, off I'm trotting, in July with my mate for a week. No problem.

I've been feeling not quite so sick to the stomach homesick for the last few weeks, you know, chance of a new adventure, new start away from Perth looming on the horizon etc, then......Mum called last night, well, you could've blown me down with a feather when she said "Sweetheart, Bob (her chap) and I are going to do a rekkie in Devon. We're thinking of moving there." This has thrown me completely back into turmoil as Devon is where we would be moving to if we were to go back to the UK. Mum currently lives in Herefordshire. So, if she does move there, that means all of the family would be there, OH's and mine.

Now, I don't want to go to QLD, not even for a rekkie, just in case I do like it, I just want to go back as quickly as possible and have all of the family close to us. How fab!

OH will sh*t a brick when he wakes up and I break the news. He will know that my heart will not be into going to QLD. He knows I won't give it a fair rekkie. I can't really cancel as I will be letting my mate down who really does want to go and live there. Bugger. Money wasting exercise coming up!

Just wanted to vent. So excited at the thought of being back in the UK with ALL of the family close to us. God, I love 'em!
Another spanner in the works to test you, like you havent had enough.

We toyed with moving to another state as we have family in SA, but decided that if we dont stay here we will go back home, our reasons are family, friends & familiarity we cant have any of those if we move to SA apart from one branch of the family tree & really we want the whole tree not just a small part of it, of course our decision doesnt make the SA branch move home, but it takes us to where we want to be & where we feel we should be for a while anyway.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:27 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
I agee with Rach, too be honest Tracey you will feel no different in Bris and as I said to you before they really are anti poms there, my mates comes upon it every day
Your mates must be VERY unfortunate we have been in Brissie 6 months, brother and sister-in-law have been here nearly 5 years and friends have been here 17 years and none of us have experienced the 'anti pom' culture.
The people we have met either through work or socially have been very helpful and supportive in anything we do.

Loz x
Old Apr 20th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

You sound very happy at the thought of returning to Devon anyway Tracey so you've got to do whats best for you.

Hopefully your partner will understand. Keep us updated.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like fate to me. Somebody is trying to tell you something!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Treat this reckie as a holiday and enjoy yourself.

Go back to the UK and enjoy your family....you seem to light up when you type about them....you would never get that in Brisbane or anywhere else except home where you belong....with your family in good old Blighty

You deserve to be happy.

LibbyX
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulrachel
And to be honest living in Devon will be fantastic, it's so beautiful there, plus your family will be with you, what more could be better.
The pressure is actually doing the move again, but once that is out of the way you can only look forward to what you have wanted deep down.
I really hope things go well on your hol to Brissy as you never know, but i think it won't solve the pain.
Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
I agee with Rach, too be honest Tracey you will feel no different in Bris and as I said to you before they really are anti poms there, my mates comes upon it every day and her hubbie said he works with some right a....holes!!!

I was exactly the same as you, but do you know I feel happier now than I have for a very long time and yes UK is shit but Im soo happy to be going home, I feel a skip in my walk and me and OH are getting on really brilliantly, as we really were at the end of our relationship.....

Kath xxxxx
I reckon you're both right. Going to Brissy will just amuse me for a while, but I don't think it will make me happy long-term. I suppose I just want to keep OH happy and going to Brissy will do that.

So glad Kath that you and G are on the right track hopefully me and OH will get there one day.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fishfinger
It sounds like fate to me. Somebody is trying to tell you something!

Yeah, I reckon you're right. I'm a firm believer in fate....everything happens for a reason.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Treat this reckie as a holiday and enjoy yourself.

LibbyX
I will go and I will have a good time but I just see it as a bit of a waste of money now. I was going for a purpose, now I'm not. I'd rather save the money and use it for going home if I'm honest.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:11 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I will go and I will have a good time but I just see it as a bit of a waste of money now. I was going for a purpose, now I'm not. I'd rather save the money and use it for going home if I'm honest.
Try and see it as a damn good break and more importantly, your number one bargaining tool for your OH.

You are making the effort to try another state, you will have done what he has asked of you and he can expect no more.

If you go and show him you have at least put your all into the exercise, but you are still not happy, then you have more than met him halfway and it will be his turn to give.

Dont show him your excitement of your family and Devon, do what us girls do best and keep it stored in your own 'memory handbag' if you like.

Keep your plans on that purely within because its true what you say, if you bubble over with enthusiasm, he will know you are not giving the new state 100%.

Bide your time, be patient and after your rekkie, come back with if necessary, faked enthusiam.

Give it a few weeks and then have a rational talk with him about how important it is to go back.

Armed with facts, figures and a back up plan, you will come across as someone who has not only tried to like Australia - really tried, but someone who has done their best to fit in with their partner.

Then all being well, you will be able to make your plans to go back HOME.

Dont see it as a money wasting exercise, see it purely as an investment with the end result in you finally being settled in the place you want to be.

Sneaky? perhaps but sometimes, a girls got to do what a girls got to do.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Apr 20th 2007 at 8:14 am.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:30 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey - when I read your posts although I don't know you I can kind of picture your face, it's all flat and glum when talking about a move to Brissy and then you move onto talking about going to Devon and suddenly your eyes sparkle and you look alive again!! Enough said - you know what's right!!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

I am also a firm believer in fate and it sounds to me that fate is giving you a guiding hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.