Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

A guide on returning back to the UK.

A guide on returning back to the UK.

Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default A guide on returning back to the UK.

Hi all did a thread ages ago that I wanted to go home, as we were going through a bit of a rough patch. Things picked up for us a lot since then. Husband found a job that he loves, and good money. We are not struggling now. We moved again to a bigger house with a pool………………………

BUT the last few weeks I feel really home sick, not sure why. Might be all the rain Daughter came home upset from school yesterday, because a boy was picking on her. Calling her names “whinging Pom was one of them” how original Which has got me all upset, I feel like we will never fit in.(especially with my brummie accent) and I need that sense of belonging somewhere again.

I used BE loads to get us here it was my guide, now I need it to guide us back. We have about $70,000 in the bank. We are a family of 5. Where do I start? How much will it cost? Has anyone else gone back home penniless? I need a guide to follow, like when to cancel what or whom to inform were leaving. Who the used for what. Where did they stay. Things I need to do when I get back to the UK.

As you can see i have so many questions going around my head. I would like to read about other BE members experiences of the process of going home, like you do on the update forum. Of the last few weeks in Australia, and what happened when they got the back to the UK.

Would anybody be kind enough to share there experiences with me.

Stacey x

Last edited by stacey and jordan; Sep 7th 2007 at 4:23 am. Reason: wording
Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of
Default Re: A guide on returning back to the UK.

Hi Stacey

I can't offer you any advice unfortunately as I'm in the same boat, but I'm in South Africa and have been here since 1982. This website is a great tool to get information and there are so many people who are willing to share their information with you. Don't you think with so many people coming and going around the work that they should all club together and write a book on how and what to do for returning expats to the UK? I did manage to buy a book called "Working and Living in the UK" but even though it gives you some really good information it's more for someone who's planning on immigrating there.

Good luck with your plans and I hope you get all the answers you need.

Donna
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:42 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
Hi all did a thread ages ago that I wanted to go home, as we were going through a bit of a rough patch. Things picked up for us a lot since then. Husband found a job that he loves, and good money. We are not struggling now. We moved again to a bigger house with a pool………………………

BUT the last few weeks I feel really home sick, not sure why. Might be all the rain Daughter came home upset from school yesterday, because a boy was picking on her. Calling her names “whinging Pom was one of them” how original Which has got me all upset, I feel like we will never fit in.(especially with my brummie accent) and I need that sense of belonging somewhere again.

Stacey x

Are you sure you want to go back this time? Could it be just another rough patch? I think it's par for the course that every once in a while we'll get homesick and pine to leave. But for me, at least, the feelings usually subside after a while and I go back to enjoying it again. Sometimes it's hard to get through the bad times, and I have to remind myself that it's to be expected once in a while and to just ride it out. Maybe you should give yourself a little while longer and see if feelings change for you.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I used BE loads to get us here it was my guide, now I need it to guide us back. We have about $70,000 in the bank. We are a family of 5. Where do I start? How much will it cost? Has anyone else gone back home penniless? I need a guide to follow, like when to cancel what or whom to inform were leaving. Who the used for what. Where did they stay. Things I need to do when I get back to the UK.

As you can see i have so many questions going around my head. I would like to read about other BE members experiences of the process of going home, like you do on the update forum. Of the last few weeks in Australia, and what happened when they got the back to the UK.

Stacey x
yes, i know of two peeps that have but you have to really want it to make it happen and that speaks for anything in life really. good luck
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:13 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stacey

So sorry that you are feeling homesick. As lady of the lake said though are you absolutely certain that it isn't a bout of missing home. Do you really and truly want to leave Australia? I only ask because it is a huge upheaval.

We returned to the UK after 12 months in Australia but knew that we couldn't live there forever. Our circumstances meant that we would be much happier in the UK and we are so glad that we made the decision to come home. But many people return only to find that they wished they had stayed. If you are truly unhappy there and feel that you really want to come home then it can be done. Just plan ahead - contact schools/employers/rentals in the UK and get as much information as you possibly can.

We gave notice on our rental in Oz and moved out the day we left - the removals had been in the day before so we just used a $5 kettle and plastic cups and slept on the floor. We telephoned all the utilites well in advance to inform them of the date of leaving and everything went perfectly.

We came back virtually penniless - we sold our cars to pay for the air fares/shipping/dogs fares and are now trying to start again over here. We found somewhere to rent just a few weeks after returning, hubby started work immediately (planned from Oz), me a few months later and we are now saving again for a deposit for our own place.

Good luck with whatever you decide and if you need any advice at all just pm me
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:23 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey x
Stacey ...i read your update back February and you were loving it then and felt you really settled in...it gave people like me the inspiration we need. Now i read about you wanting to return and it just makes me sad that after all the struggling people do to get over to Ausrtalia and it's not for them and they return quite quickly.

Please don't be too hasty with your decision to come back, are you sure it's not just a little bad patch.

Whatever you decide i wish you luck on your return back to blighty
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

moonlightlady will become famous soon enoughmoonlightlady will become famous soon enough

Anyone out there with advise on how a British born person who was married to a U.S. seviceman ( retired now ) & divorce pending can relocate back to Britian....absent for a lot of years due to husbands career in Military, what would I be entitled to if anything?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moonlightlady
Anyone out there with advise on how a British born person who was married to a U.S. seviceman ( retired now ) & divorce pending can relocate back to Britian....absent for a lot of years due to husbands career in Military, what would I be entitled to if anything?
have you continued paying into anything in the UK....eg. NI contributions?

check out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

moonlightlady will become famous soon enoughmoonlightlady will become famous soon enough

The answer is no,just wondering how much trouble ( is any ) I would have returning to England after such a long absence. I am retired,would have income but wondering about British tax laws concerning U.S Social security & of course I would be in need of health coverage- would I be entitled?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

The answer is no,just wondering how much trouble ( is any ) I would have returning to England after such a long absence. I am retired,would have income but wondering about British tax laws concerning U.S Social security & of course I would be in need of health coverage- would I be entitled?
there is a page on the website i gave you relating to peeps returning to the uk. why not start your own thread on here and more peeps will notice it and offer advice. good luck
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TruBrit
there is a page on the website i gave you relating to peeps returning to the uk. why not start your own thread on here and more peeps will notice it and offer advice. good luck
Many thanks for the advice,I shall check out the site!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Are you sure you want to go back this time? Could it be just another rough patch? I think it's par for the course that every once in a while we'll get homesick and pine to leave. But for me, at least, the feelings usually subside after a while and I go back to enjoying it again. Sometimes it's hard to get through the bad times, and I have to remind myself that it's to be expected once in a while and to just ride it out. Maybe you should give yourself a little while longer and see if feelings change for you.
I know you are right, but i hate feeling like this. I've had a tough few weeks, my sister is unwell and it's my nephews first birthday. I just keep wishing i was there to be with them. I think I'm just feeling sorry for myself. Well I'm off out with the kids, the sun is out. I always feel better when the sun is out.

Stacey xx
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the advice,I shall check out the site!
Wondering if Britian taxes U.S.security- ? Can't find anything on that!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Would spousal support payments from a spouse in another country be taxed?
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

Wondering if Britian taxes U.S.security- ? Can't find anything on that!
hi again and welcome to BE btw

it would be best to start your own thread in this Moving Back To The UK forum and then your questions will not get lost in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.