Greetings from Canada

Old Mar 19th 2018, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Valley1girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greetings from Canada

Hello there, I'm British born and thus have citizenship, but have lived in Canada most of my life. In considering returning to UK, I'm wondering how to go about moving back. What documents do I need to work, anything I need to live in UK, etc?? I'm a school teacher, so would be happy to connect with any other teachers. Any comments about moving to UK from Canada -- experiences you want to share? Was it a difficult move, easy? Change in culture? /Sally
Old Mar 19th 2018, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from Canada

If you have citizenship, then all you need is your British Passport to demonstrate a right to work. When you arrive you may already have an NI number allocated to you. If not you'll want to get that set up right away to avoid emergency tax.

I'm in the final stages of my move, my flat is practically empty (all that's left is my bed and my flatmates furniture) and my bags are packed. Starting work the first week of April, couldn't be more excited. The hardest part I found was finding a place to live while still in Canada, you'd want to have someone who is in the UK that can view properties on your behalf and then you can send your holding deposit when you finally find something.

Good luck !
Old Mar 19th 2018, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread from our Welcome Inn, to our Moving Back to the UK forum, as you have specific questions about the UK and moving there.

As you're a UK citizen you don't need anything to work etc in the UK.

You'll find quite a few threads from others that have moved back from Canada, which may be useful reading, and I'm sure others will be along to share their experiences.

Best of luck with it.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Valley1girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the quick replies! I'll look forward to hearing from others and to exploring the possibility more.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 12:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Legally you only need a valid British passport to move back. You'll also need a National Insurance Number (NINO) to order to work. You may already have one.

Practically you'll also need somewhere to live and employment. Do you have relatives who could stay with? If you trained as a teacher in Canada you can obtain qualified teacher status (QTS) which will allow you to work as a teacher in the UK.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Qualified Outside Scotland | General Teaching Council for Scotland

For Scotland you need to register with GTC(Scotland)