Greater Manchester~ Question

Wikiposts

Greater Manchester~ Question

Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:23 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Greater Manchester~ Question

Originally Posted by Brigette
A few questions for you.. is it easy to drive for food/household supplies since it is not easily attainable in that area? I have been looking on rightmove at places to live and was pleasantly surprised at what I saw in Manchester city center.

I'm not scared of the suburbs but I love the urban life as well. I guess I like both Saw a lot of great suburban houses for my sister so hopefully that will work out for her
All UK supermarkets will deliver for a small fee/free and you can order everything online.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Yes there are including a couple in the City Centre and the surrounding areas actually. You would be fine.
Fantastic! So good to know.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
All UK supermarkets will deliver for a small fee/free and you can order everything online.
Really? Gets even better Thanks for explaining the rivalry thing. For a moment I felt quite daft as I didn't quite understand it
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:35 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Really? Gets even better Thanks for explaining the rivalry thing. For a moment I felt quite daft as I didn't quite understand it
They do but there is a small fee for the decent delivery time slots and they have this strange habit of substituting things which you ordered but they didn't have for other, often inferior, products.

You also have to order over a certain amount to qualify (usually around £30 minimum I think) and some of them get pissy about bringing the delivery up to your floor in the building.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

They do but there is a small fee for the decent delivery time slots and they have this strange habit of substituting things which you ordered but they didn't have for other, often inferior, products.

You also have to order over a certain amount to qualify (usually around £30 minimum I think) and some of them get pissy about bringing the delivery up to your floor in the building.
As a vegan the substitute thing would be a big no no... so I think I'll stick to going to the stores, Whole Foods etc.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:52 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

As a vegan the substitute thing would be a big no no... so I think I'll stick to going to the stores, Whole Foods etc.
You can refuse the substitution, they highlight them with you when they delivery the food and you're welcome to accept to decline as you want to. It can just sometimes be a problem though dependant upon how much of your order they actually substitute.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:17 am
Account Closed

For tone of your posts on here I think you should have a look on Google Maps at Northenden and Withington. Parts can be a bit rough and ready and studenty, but my guess is it would suit you.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:30 am
Sidecar Falcon

For tone of your posts on here I think you should have a look on Google Maps at Northenden and Withington. Parts can be a bit rough and ready and studenty, but my guess is it would suit you.
Withington, Didsbury and Chorlton possibly but I wouldn't personally consider Northenden to be studenty, more dodgy, dangerous, and industrial to be honest.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Withington, Didsbury and Chorlton possibly but I wouldn't personally consider Northenden to be studenty, more dodgy, dangerous, and industrial to be honest.
I guess that depends on your tolerance of 'dodgy'. I wouldn't class the area around Palatine Road as dodgy. Some might.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:43 am
Sidecar Falcon

I guess that depends on your tolerance of 'dodgy'. I wouldn't class the area around Palatine Road as dodgy. Some might.
It's a long road, possibly one of the longest in Manchester, and it does get a bit more bohemian as you travel futher down it, but the actual area between Didsbury and Sharston which many consider to be Northenden is quite industrial and can be a little scary in parts.

Didsbury on the other hand, and in particular the west side of it, would fit this OP perfectly though in my opinion. Quite wealthy, young and fashionable and quaint but not too quiet.

This discussion is making me even more homesick than I am normally by the way.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 4th 2012 at 9:46 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:51 am
Account Closed

It's a long road, possibly one of the longest in Manchester, and it does get a bit more bohemian as you travel futher down it, but the actual area between Didsbury and Sharston which many consider to be Northenden is quite industrial and can be a little scary in parts.

Didsbury on the other hand, and in particular the west side of it, would fit this OP perfectly though in my opinion. Quite wealthy, young and fashionable and quaint but not too quiet.

It's all the 'posh side of town' for me mate. I'm originally from Beswick/Newton Heath so my level of tolerance to 'dodgy areas' is pretty high.

Didsbury would be great but I'm guessing possibly out of the price range?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:57 am
Sidecar Falcon

It's all the 'posh side of town' for me mate. I'm originally from Beswick/Newton Heath so my level of tolerance to 'dodgy areas' is pretty high.

Didsbury would be great but I'm guessing possibly out of the price range?
You can get a reasonably modern flat in Didsbury for around the same price, if not sometimes a little less, than one in the city centre and there's also the option of house shares around there as well and the council tax is pretty much the same.

The one thing to know about Manchester though is that the public transport is beyond crap. It is privatised and handled by several different companies and although cheap if you decide on the likes of Chorlton, Withington or Didsbury because of student routes, commuting to and from anywhere else can be expensive sometimes and car usership is a lot less common in the metropolitan areas of Britain than it is in most of the United States to the level that it is normal for someone in their 20's-30's to not even to know how to drive.

I'm from the Stockport side of Cheshire and probably wouldn't move back to that area long term if you paid me.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Awww sorry you feel homesick... didn't mean to do that

I did a search for places in Didsbury (for me it would be renting) and I did a wide spectrum of prices as low as 600 to as high as 1,500 and all that came up was this
http://tiny.cc/31umo

not too impressive of a selection. Seems as if its only residential homes

However when I do a search on Manchester City Center...this is what comes up: http://tiny.cc/8kyks and this http://tiny.cc/3434t
Pages and pages of flats. Of course I have no clue where these areas are

Last edited by Brigette; Jan 4th 2012 at 10:05 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Dingle76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try searching Chorlton too, as I said you can get houseshares there and single flats (probably more houseshares to be fair though).

Also when you search in Manchester try searching:-
Manchester Victoria
Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Oxford Road Station

These are all city centre but a bit more specific than just searching "Manchester City Centre" - because you will be picking up all the properties on the outskirts too by saying "city centre" and some of the outskirts are not very salubrious.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dingle76
Try searching Chorlton too, as I said you can get houseshares there and single flats (probably more houseshares to be fair though).

Also when you search in Manchester try searching:-
Manchester Victoria
Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Oxford Road Station

These are all city centre but a bit more specific than just searching "Manchester City Centre" - because you will be picking up all the properties on the outskirts too by saying "city centre" and some of the outskirts are not very salubrious.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.