Good things about the UK

Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:37 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice
Default Good things about the UK

I live in Dubai at the moment, and especially with the nature of the Middle East board, which is lots of people moving over, or looking to move over, all I here are negative things about the UK and how Dubai is the greatest place on earth.

So I though maybe this would be the place to come for people to make me feel good about moving home by reminding me of all the good things about the UK!

So far I've got:
- Able to buy alcohol easily
- No shortage of decent pubs
- Driving is fairly sane
- People are actually pretty polite (believe it or not)
- People will be able to understand me
- The green green grass and the lovely fresh air
- Twiglets

Hmm, I think I need some more..... please help me out!!!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good things about the UK

Originally Posted by kristy
I live in Dubai at the moment, and especially with the nature of the Middle East board, which is lots of people moving over, or looking to move over, all I here are negative things about the UK and how Dubai is the greatest place on earth.

So I though maybe this would be the place to come for people to make me feel good about moving home by reminding me of all the good things about the UK!

So far I've got:
- Driving is fairly sane
- Twiglets

Going for a walk along the river with my honey in Windsor. Listening to the birds and enjoying the view, whilst the kids play about kicking the Autum leaves around and getting some fresh air fun.... Priceless!

Family Sunday Roast dinner.... (before or after you go for a pint at the pub)
Old Nov 16th 2004, 10:47 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Going for a walk along the river with my honey in Windsor. Listening to the birds and enjoying the view, whilst the kids play about kicking the Autum leaves around and getting some fresh air fun.... Priceless!

Family Sunday Roast dinner.... (before or after you go for a pint at the pub)
Ooh yes, my dad cooks a good roast dinner!

Ok, this is good, I'm feeling a little cheered already!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kristy

So far I've got:
- Driving is fairly sane
- Twiglets

The Lake District, The Peak District, The Yorkshire Dales, The mountainous bits of Wales, The Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, Seven Sisters Country Park, The White Cliffs of Dover, The Highlands, Windy country lanes, Most of the coastline, Torquay, Run-down seaside towns, Scarborough, English Breakfasts, Cricket, The lovely temperate climate, The "it's crap but it's home" attitude, People putting shorts on in spring when it gets into double-figures, Radio 5 Live and the sports reports, The music scene, Stephen Fry, Eccentric people everywhere, and last, but by no means least - Friends and Family.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:32 pm
jpr
Just Joined

jpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
This posting is from the Yanks in UK forum (of which I hope to be one soon!)
A similar ? to yours there were 100's of replies all POSITIVE
Karen
.................................................. ...............................

English TV.
Little old men in tweed coats riding their bikes along the street.
Narrow boats on the canal.
London.
Lush cosmetics shop.
Watching little kids in cute English school uniforms file along the sidewalk to school.
The cathedrals.
The museums.
Market Day.
The slower pace of life.
Being so unique in my neighborhood.
Proper english breakfasts.
Political flexibility.
The Guardian!!!
Being surrounded by gorgeous, varied accents.
Sunday roasts.
Pubs.
Strong, local beers.
Women in hats at weddings.
Non old-lady Bingo.
The countryside.
Sunsets over the Fens.
Little pheasants running all around the fields.
Ancient houses all over the place.
Preserved historical buildings.
Pub quizzes.
Christmas carol services in a church older than my country.
Gargoyles.
Flowers blooming in winter.
Charity shops.
English Maternity care.
Documentaries galor on TV.
BBC Radio 4.
Good public transportation.
Closeness to Europe.
The cool antique shops.
Having a different perspective on US goings-on.
Greener greens than I've ever seen before.
Green in the winter, too.
Ghost walks & stories in local pubs, houses, etc.
The friendly relationship between mainstream medicine and non-traditional medicine.
The dressier type of clothing available.

There's millions more, but that's just off the top of my head...
Old Nov 16th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Good workplace conditions - usually sick pay, maternity pay, decent holiday allowances, and short working week (well 35-37 hrs is fabulous compared to Australia!)

Easy accessibility to countryside or metropolis, wherever you are

Greenery, lush countryside, rolling hills

Easy and quick access to Europe (and to a certain extent, N America) - great selection of holiday destinations, weekend trips, etc; European 'culture' (change of scenery!!) on your doorstep

Christmastime in Winter - frosty mornings, dark evenings, twinkling lights

Sainsbury's spiced fruit muffins
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:18 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about the driving, in the south east it's terrible these days!!

BUT some positives for you:

Cold Christmas
Bonfire night
Being no more than a few hours from the beach or countryside at any one time
UK tv, especially the comedy
Getting swept up in English pride whenever England play football
Roast dinners
Proper fish and chips
Cars driven on the correct side of the road

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 4:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Supermarkets!

I always go to Tesco's and Morrison's on my visits home, not just to stock up on teabags and curry mixes, but to remind myself how great UK supermarkets are compared to the "foodstores" in the US.

All the foodstores here (Kroger, Lowe's, Harris Teeter, Food Lion) are just plain boring - and the produce goes rotten if you don't eat it within a couple of days.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:03 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Supermarkets!

I always go to Tesco's and Morrison's on my visits home, not just to stock up on teabags and curry mixes, but to remind myself how great UK supermarkets are compared to the "foodstores" in the US.

All the foodstores here (Kroger, Lowe's, Harris Teeter, Food Lion) are just plain boring - and the produce goes rotten if you don't eat it within a couple of days.
Have to agree! Markets are soo boring here! In the UK I used to go to the supermarket and get inspired, here I have to look in a recipe book before I go.

Oh Jamie Oliver, can't you do something?
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Have to agree! Markets are soo boring here! In the UK I used to go to the supermarket and get inspired, here I have to look in a recipe book before I go.

Oh Jamie Oliver, can't you do something?
Nope, there is no start to his talents
Old Nov 16th 2004, 6:08 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

There are a lot of good things about the UK!

My list:

-Friendly people
-Sense of humour
-Newspapers
-Education system
-Ethnic diversity

-Becs
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:19 am
Troublemaker

Cheers guys, this is definitely helping (although still not about leaving boyfriend behind in Dubai - *sob*).
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

1) people having the same sense of humour as you
2) the music scene
3) good night life - pubs, clubs, theatre's etc.
4) cheap flights to Europe
5) beautiful countryside - if it's raining put on a coat with a hood and explore it anyway.
6) lots of paid holiday
7) good choice in supermarkets
8) family, friends and sense of belonging
9) history - castles, cathedrals, stonehenge etc.
10) relatively high wages.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:50 pm
Brit Vic

Brit Vic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jugsy
1) people having the same sense of humour as you
2) the music scene
3) good night life - pubs, clubs, theatre's etc.
4) cheap flights to Europe
5) beautiful countryside - if it's raining put on a coat with a hood and explore it anyway.
6) lots of paid holiday
7) good choice in supermarkets
8) family, friends and sense of belonging
9) history - castles, cathedrals, stonehenge etc.
10) relatively high wages.
Youv said it, and I bloody miss it.!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:08 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Originally Posted by jpr
English TV.
Little old men in tweed coats riding their bikes along the street.
Narrow boats on the canal.
London.
Lush cosmetics shop.
Watching little kids in cute English school uniforms file along the sidewalk to school.
The cathedrals.
The museums.
Market Day.
The slower pace of life.
Being so unique in my neighborhood.
Proper english breakfasts.
Political flexibility.
The Guardian!!!
Being surrounded by gorgeous, varied accents.
Sunday roasts.
Pubs.
Strong, local beers.
Women in hats at weddings.
Non old-lady Bingo.
The countryside.
Sunsets over the Fens.
Little pheasants running all around the fields.
Ancient houses all over the place.
Preserved historical buildings.
Pub quizzes.
Christmas carol services in a church older than my country.
Gargoyles.
Flowers blooming in winter.
Charity shops.
English Maternity care.
Documentaries galor on TV.
BBC Radio 4.
Good public transportation.
Closeness to Europe.
The cool antique shops.
Having a different perspective on US goings-on.
Greener greens than I've ever seen before.
Green in the winter, too.
Ghost walks & stories in local pubs, houses, etc.
The friendly relationship between mainstream medicine and non-traditional medicine.
The dressier type of clothing available.

There's millions more, but that's just off the top of my head...
Hi, right I am not trying to wind you all up but I find some of these simular sentiments on the Qz section but in reverse. Is this not just part of home sickness or romanticizing of an ideal Uk? I mean how offen in your daily lives back home would you go see stonehenge, country house, and antique shops?

As for public transport, driving, better fashion and the like I guess it depends where you are in the world to how it comparies to the UK.

Right I am off before you'll start sharpening your knives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.