Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good places to live in Europe

Good places to live in Europe

Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good places to live in Europe

I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get the sort of info I'm after on this one, but it's got to be worth a try just in case there's anyone on here that knows such things.

I'm moving back from Australia to UK, BUT there's a whole lot of things I like about Australia, it's only that it's way too far from the UK, and my family there and all the things about the UK itself I like.

If there is a place somewhere in Europe that can offer similar lifestyle to here in Adelaide, but that is obviously much closer to UK (so I could visit numerous times a year with minimal expense and difficulty) then I might seriously consider moving there instead of UK.

It would have to meet the following critieria though:
- Climate that is generally a bit warmer and dryer than UK
- I would have to be able to get a good job there, without needing to learn a new language
- There would have to be good access to the sort of facilities (shops, restaurants, things to do) that I'm used to here and in UK
- No MAJOR cultural / language issues to be overcome.

Has anyone lived in such a place, or does anyone know of such a place?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice
Default Re: Good places to live in Europe

The only place I can think of that meets all your criteria would be the Channel Islands. No language issues, generally warmer than the mainland, and the ability to work and earn. Everywhere else you will have to learn another language if you wish to be work!!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
The only place I can think of that meets all your criteria would be the Channel Islands. No language issues, generally warmer than the mainland, and the ability to work and earn.
Only problem is the housing and employment control legislation in the Channel Islands.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

Yep #JAJ, you're right, so there's a drawback wherever one moves outside of the UK.

Spain & france are fab for being close enough to the UK, cheap flights, weather on a par with Australia, no-one needs to learn the language if they are happy to live in a Brit enclave, but to even stand a chance of good paying employment and to make life easier generally, the language has to be learned!!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has a place in Cyprus, they love it, drive same side of the road, jobs are ok as you dont need to learn another language as they all speak and write english and not too far (about 4 hour ) flight. They bought a lovely place for about 75,000 euro last year. M & S etc are there....
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
I don't think I'll be lucky enough to get the sort of info I'm after on this one, but it's got to be worth a try just in case there's anyone on here that knows such things.

I'm moving back from Australia to UK, BUT there's a whole lot of things I like about Australia, it's only that it's way too far from the UK, and my family there and all the things about the UK itself I like.

If there is a place somewhere in Europe that can offer similar lifestyle to here in Adelaide, but that is obviously much closer to UK (so I could visit numerous times a year with minimal expense and difficulty) then I might seriously consider moving there instead of UK.

- I would have to be able to get a good job there, without needing to learn a new language
- There would have to be good access to the sort of facilities (shops, restaurants, things to do) that I'm used to here and in UK

How about Spain? There are some places that speak English so well, you'd think you were in England but the weather is great and the cost of living (from what I heard a while ago) is good.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
The only place I can think of that meets all your criteria would be the Channel Islands. No language issues, generally warmer than the mainland, and the ability to work and earn. Everywhere else you will have to learn another language if you wish to be work!!
You need an absolute fortune to live there though.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Emma M
How about Spain? There are some places that speak English so well, you'd think you were in England but the weather is great and the cost of living (from what I heard a while ago) is good.
The cost of living here in Spain is now pretty much comparable to the Uk although some utility bills are cheaper. However to get work, which is truly very difficult here, you do need to speak Spanish...unless of course one simply wishes to work behind the bar of an English drinking house
Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:45 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Holland - if you get a job there then, as a foreigner in a key job then you can get a discounted tax rate. Continental weather pattern. Nice place
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

petally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by backagen

Israel??? You may need a bit of Hebrew/Arabic but English is really a lingua franca there. But HUGE cultural issues although Tel Aviv is quite cosmopolitan. If you're in IT, biotech or similar fields, it's booming there.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. So far Cyprus is sounding like, perhaps, it may be a suitable place.

I will do some research on the internet and see what I can find out.

Certainly if I could be not too far from UK, but with nicer weather, nicer housing, and lower cost of living that sounds wonderful!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

You can't go wrong with Malta.

It has everything you want.

Mikey
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok. I'll look into that too. It's all sounding quite exciting!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:06 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a good place called Utopia - it would be ideal for you!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:35 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar

not sure what the work situation is like in each

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.