Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good news for old UK drivers

Good news for old UK drivers

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 5:53 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good news for old UK drivers

I got an email from DVLC Swansea in response to my query

All our driving licences expire at age 70

They confirm that IF we go back to the UK after that age, it wont be a problem - and they will renew the expired licence without a new test

just the eyesight/health confirmation

phew

Thats good news
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Another Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really nice
Default Re: Good news for old UK drivers

I never got a new style driving licence, I've still got the old pink bit of paper, issued in 1985. Is it still ok to drive with this if I go back to Blighty for whatever reason.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:26 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Another Andy
I never got a new style driving licence, I've still got the old pink bit of paper, issued in 1985. Is it still ok to drive with this if I go back to Blighty for whatever reason.
I reckon so - they only MAKE you get the new licence if you lose the old one or apply for a new one for change of address or a licence without endorsements or a new licence like age 70 or any reason that needs a new licence

Apparently we are ok not notifying change of address while living abroad but giving a relatives address in the UK is a big no no and its says so - I was going to do it but there are dire warnings

But I need not have feared as its ok not to notify for non residents

My only concern was a letter to my old address as I approached 70 - but i will write to them and advise them I am non resident and I will renew/update when i take up residence again

Thats all quite legal

phew
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Another Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really niceAnother Andy is just really nice

Thanks for the reply, I've still got the address of my parents in Hertfordshire who I lived with briefly before coming to the US.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

It's good news for the old drivers - it's terrible news for everyone else. Everyone over 70 should be made to take the test every 2 years regardless. Old drivers who can't see what they are doing and drive everywhere at 15mph are a menace.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
It's good news for the old drivers - it's terrible news for everyone else. Everyone over 70 should be made to take the test every 2 years regardless. Old drivers who can't see what they are doing and drive everywhere at 15mph are a menace.
You wont say that when you are 70

I think everyone with gelled up hair should have their licence withdrawn as they cant see in their inside mirror

I do the opposite to 15mph - I have a brand new Suzuki 1250 Bandit - water cooled, fuel injected, motorbike and get my knee down at 90mph in scotland on wet roads. Been doing it since 1964 and getting better every year. Only road hazard is kids with those cars with big bore exhausts and lowered suspension and 7 teenies in the back throwing mcdonalds boxes out of the windows. Washington State have 4 planes and trying to catch folk - but the gimmers use back roads with tree and cliff cover - sneaky eh.

Luckily the police spend a lot of time fishing young drivers out of the ditch after they run off the road while trying to pick their zits in the mirror and text at the same time

I know old buggers who can whup whipper snappers at anything, including multiple land surfing, and they don't have half a pound of cocaine stuffed up their noses either

hah !

Last edited by exvj; Jan 26th 2009 at 2:48 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Whatever it is your saying I disagree with but as I cannot read your comments restricts me in what I want to say. (70+)
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Happy in NC is an unknown quantity at this point

My British drivers licence expires when I hit 65 in two years. I don't want to lose it so how can I renew from over here?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Happy in NC
My British drivers licence expires when I hit 65 in two years. I don't want to lose it so how can I renew from over here?
That is what the the thread is about...

It expires at 70 not 65

and the thread says that the DVLC has confirmed you wont have to take a retest when you return to reside in the UK after the age of 70 (when your licence expires) - you simply renew

If you want to drive in the Uk after age 70, and your UK licence has expired, and you still live in the US, then you have to use a US licence

Where did you get 65 from ?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happy in NC
You cannot renew it while you do not live in the UK, because you can only associate your UK license with a UK street address. You could provide a relative's address but the feeling on the board is that this is obtaining a license by giving false information, and hence illegal.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exvj
That is what the the thread is about...

It expires at 70 not 65

and the thread says that the DVLC has confirmed you wont have to take a retest when you return to reside in the UK after the age of 70 (when your licence expires) - you simply renew

If you want to drive in the Uk after age 70, and your UK licence has expired, and you still live in the US, then you have to use a US licence

Where did you get 65 from ?
The new photo licenses have to be renewed every 10 years...the old pink paper ones only had to be renewed when you reached 70.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The new photo licenses have to be renewed every 10 years...the old pink paper ones only had to be renewed when you reached 70.
Mein Gott you are right - just taken a butchers at mine -- 2015 it expires

So anyway I just keep it and renew it if I go back to live in the UK

and I will use my US license for renting cars in the UK

Thats good as I can get caught for over the limit (not same as drunk driving) and produce my US license which they can't ban

That should get yer blood boiling !

Actually there was a woman whos guts were like a whiskey still - and she was over the limit 24 hrs a day without a drink of alcohol - she just needed some ginger biscuits and she went over the limit

I prefer the traditional method - Timmy Taylor's championship ales