Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Good news about depression

Good news about depression

Old Jun 30th 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good news about depression

Originally Posted by karina
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

I need a place too off-load, sorry it has to be here.

I love my children to bits but sometimes feel they would be better off without me.

I just don't know what to do or where to go.
Offload away honey, everyone wants to help if they can. Please NEVER think your children will be better of without you. You sound a fantastic mum - your kids are your world, but remember YOU are their world too.

I wish I could give you a hug Is there anyone you know well, a good friend you can ring to speak to?

I dont know if the rest of this family read these threads (can you change the username if they do?) Remember you can pm people to be more private, we all want to help but dont want to say anything that might be read by others and make it worse for you.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 11:55 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I love my children to bits but sometimes feel they would be better off without me.

Speaking as a person whose father took his own life when I was a teenager - no they won't be better off. They would be incredibly hurt and horrified, and probably blame themselves. They would forever think "what did I do wrong, why didn't I know?" Please go to the doctor for help. Where are your parents? Can they help you?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sel;4983972]
Originally Posted by mandtooz
how many of these would have happened anyway without anti depressents???

I nearly spat my tea over my keyboard when I read that !! although I suppose it is an easy comment to make when you havnt been on the recieving end of such a tragedy. It is very easy to blame the illness.

The whole point people go on the medication in the first place is to stop this sort of thing, it is marketed as a safe, non-addictive, effective treatment. They have at last been made to put black box warnings on about giving this shit to kids doesnt that say something about what I am trying to get across ?? when not so long ago it was being marketed as safe to give to them. Hopefully it wont be long until they put black box warnings on them for adults as well and then everyone will have a FULL informed CHOICE as to wether or not they want to take the risk.
i agree. at the beginning of a depressive episode my mum started taking prozac (on my recommendation - i'd taken it myself successfully). unfortunately she had an adverse reaction and started spiralling downhill mentally in a short period of time. after a few weeks, she had a complete nervous breakdown and ended up in a mental hospital for a brief period. her doctor said that unfortunately she was one of the % for which prozac worsened her symptoms rather than assisted with them.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Karina,
Do you have friends who can take you to the hospital
and help you take care of your children as well?
Don't feel guilty for bothering your friends , you need help,
please go to the hospital and tell the doctor how you are feeling.

Your children need you, you are a good mother because you
show love, care and concern for them by writng to us.

How safe are you feeling right now?
Keep writing to us please.Hugs to you.
Yoong
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Katrina

I've just read of your situation. As everyone else has said, please go and see a doctor.
Your the world to your children, dont forget that.
That you feel so helpless is just a reflection of how low you are feeling. You arent helpless, you've posted on here to start with.
Pm people as chance to be said too
all love to you my dear, thinking of you & keep posting
xxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

I just googled "signs of depression" and there were about 12 telltail signs,I have about 6 of those symptoms Do you guys think I should consult a doctor about it?
For quite some time now I have not felt very well and am getting sick and tired of being sick and tired
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
I just googled "signs of depression" and there were about 12 telltail signs,I have about 6 of those symptoms Do you guys think I should consult a doctor about it?
For quite some time now I have not felt very well and am getting sick and tired of being sick and tired
I had more than 6 but couldn't face going to the doctor's office. I tried St John's Wort...I took the max dose in the evening and the next morning I was back to my old self. IMHO it's worth a try before trying prescription meds. Try using the search option at the top of this page...search for St John's Wort in the Moving Back to UK Forum...there's been several threads about it.

Some have mentioned that it can react with the contraceptive pill. I cannot comment on that but SJW really helped me. That was over 9 yrs ago...I still take it from time to time if I feel myself feeling low...I only need to take it for a few days before I am back to normal. Good luck.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Please try some St Johns Wort first, no one really tell's you that taking happy pill's can lead to a lot of hit & miss to find one thats right for you, I am talking about my own very bad experience.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had more than 6 but couldn't face going to the doctor's office. I tried St John's Wort...I took the max dose in the evening and the next morning I was back to my old self. IMHO it's worth a try before trying prescription meds. Try using the search option at the top of this page...search for St John's Wort in the Moving Back to UK Forum...there's been several threads about it.

Some have mentioned that it can react with the contraceptive pill. I cannot comment on that but SJW really helped me. That was over 9 yrs ago...I still take it from time to time if I feel myself feeling low...I only need to take it for a few days before I am back to normal. Good luck.
I am on other medication and want to make sure whatever I take would be ok with what I am taking now
Old Jul 1st 2007, 4:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am on other medication and want to make sure whatever I take would be ok with what I am taking now
You should tell your doctor you are considering taking SJW and ask his advice. Plse becareful he doesn't try to talk you into taking prescription meds first before you try SJW. Some doctors in some countries receive incentives to write prescriptions for certain drugs...that's why they are eager to give you a prescription.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

psb, I thought you have gone back to UK! If one of the 6 symptoms
is not a harmful thought, then it is worth trying SJW and Omega 3 fish oil.
Let your doc. know your taking SJW due to the interaction with certain AD
which may cause serotonin syndrome
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media...2000_36_e.html
Do imagery relaxation, mindfulness meditation and yoga.Exercise is also beneficial . Cognitive behavioural therapy self help exercise, at work we gave a few pages of CBT questionaires for patients to work on.
Good luck,
Yoong
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:47 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Karina - So sorry to hear about how you are feeling - but as others have said don't worry - you are not alone.

It sounds like you still have not recovered from your PND (for those of us with young children who have suffered with PND it is very common for this depression to persist on and off for years) and you need help to get through this time. Please take the first step and go and see your doctor - once you have got help with your depression you will be stronger to deal with all the other stuff going on in your life.

Whatever you think at the moment just believe life will get better and you CAN and WILL be happy again you just need some help to get you over this hump.

Take a few moments to read this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459872

Some great stories of people that have had some awful expereinces in life but it has all come good in the end and it will for you too - just be brave enough to take that first step and seek help from your doctor.

Best wishes to you and keep posting - as others have said - we're all here to 'listen', you are not alone.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yoong
psb, I thought you have gone back to UK! If one of the 6 symptoms
is not a harmful thought, then it is worth trying SJW and Omega 3 fish oil.
Let your doc. know your taking SJW due to the interaction with certain AD
which may cause serotonin syndrome
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media...2000_36_e.html
Do imagery relaxation, mindfulness meditation and yoga.Exercise is also beneficial . Cognitive behavioural therapy self help exercise, at work we gave a few pages of CBT questionaires for patients to work on.
Good luck,
Yoong
Me and the wife have been threatening to go home for about 5-6 years now,were in a difficult situation as the USA is our kids home but not ours.....I don't know how much more I can stand myself as I am sick and tired of being sick and tired
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Me and the wife have been threatening to go home for about 5-6 years now,were in a difficult situation as the USA is our kids home but not ours.....I don't know how much more I can stand myself as I am sick and tired of being sick and tired
As long as they are Kid's and I mean kid's, then there home is with you and that is where you choose to live not them.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britvic
As long as they are Kid's and I mean kid's, then there home is with you and that is where you choose to live not them.
19,18 and 13........the 13 yr old has no choice but the other 2 do and it would be so hard to be 3500 miles away from them although I left the UK and my parents when I was 23 and never reaslized what it must have been like for my parents.
We are very unhappy here but don't want the family to split up it really is eating away at us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.