Good to be back

Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold
Default Good to be back

Hi

Just a quick update of 7 weeks back in England, after living in Perth for a year.

I'm not going to say I'm lovin' it, because I truly began to despise those three words while I was away, and anyway the feeling's much better than that! and I'm not into Americanisms anyway!

It's been extremely easy to slip back into my old life (yes, I know it was only a year), but that's what I like about it, it's easy here - for me, anyway. No more waking up in the morning with that twisted gut feeling of "shall we stay, or shall we go". I didn't dislike Perth, it just wasn't for us for many many reasons. It was like one very long holiday, and like every holiday, you take fond memories home with you. It was a fabulous experience, and one which I haven't regretted. We took that time to have some great adventures and look back at what we could have done differently with our lives rather than jumping on that plane. But, like I said I don't regret jumping on that plane - we did it for a reason.

We came back to our old house and old cars, which is great. Hubby is working away which is the only downside, but we're not adverse to moving at some point (anyone know much about Northampton?), as long as it's in the UK.

I spent the first couple of weeks driving through all the country back lanes around where I live, and it was truly wonderful. I loved the coast in Perth but I'm a definite country girl! I've enrolled both my boys in a village school on the edge of the Peak National Park which is a 20 min drive, but worth it for the view. My 8 year old is still settling in at school and trying to get used to the playground obsession of football - which he hates. At the moment he much prefers his Perth school, but it's still early days.

The friends and family thing is uber important to me. To have my mum not far away is priceless. Before we left for Perth I told her that we would come home twice a year and she could come over for holidays etc., but in reality I knew it would never work out that way. My stepdad became immobile so mum is a full time carer, so hols to Perth would have been out of the question. The plane journey is so long with two young children, then having to cope with jet lag either end, and the long tearful goodbyes to contend with wasn't an attractive thought. It would have been too much agony all round.

We're best off back home.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice
Default Re: Good to be back

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Hi

Just a quick update of 7 weeks back in England, after living in Perth for a year.

I'm not going to say I'm lovin' it, because I truly began to despise those three words while I was away, and anyway the feeling's much better than that! and I'm not into Americanisms anyway!

It's been extremely easy to slip back into my old life (yes, I know it was only a year), but that's what I like about it, it's easy here - for me, anyway. No more waking up in the morning with that twisted gut feeling of "shall we stay, or shall we go". I didn't dislike Perth, it just wasn't for us for many many reasons. It was like one very long holiday, and like every holiday, you take fond memories home with you. It was a fabulous experience, and one which I haven't regretted. We took that time to have some great adventures and look back at what we could have done differently with our lives rather than jumping on that plane. But, like I said I don't regret jumping on that plane - we did it for a reason.

We came back to our old house and old cars, which is great. Hubby is working away which is the only downside, but we're not adverse to moving at some point (anyone know much about Northampton?), as long as it's in the UK.

I spent the first couple of weeks driving through all the country back lanes around where I live, and it was truly wonderful. I loved the coast in Perth but I'm a definite country girl! I've enrolled both my boys in a village school on the edge of the Peak National Park which is a 20 min drive, but worth it for the view. My 8 year old is still settling in at school and trying to get used to the playground obsession of football - which he hates. At the moment he much prefers his Perth school, but it's still early days.

The friends and family thing is uber important to me. To have my mum not far away is priceless. Before we left for Perth I told her that we would come home twice a year and she could come over for holidays etc., but in reality I knew it would never work out that way. My stepdad became immobile so mum is a full time carer, so hols to Perth would have been out of the question. The plane journey is so long with two young children, then having to cope with jet lag either end, and the long tearful goodbyes to contend with wasn't an attractive thought. It would have been too much agony all round.

I lived in Northampton for 25 years before moving to the States 4 years ago. Glad to hear things are going well for you back in the UK .....now counting down to when we move back next year.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Heljinder!Sounds like you are settling in very well.Peace of mind is very comforting is'nt it?Anyway best of luck and have a great "new"life!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

It is good to be back isn't it

All the best to you and your family.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the update Heljinder, it's always good to hear from returnees whether it's good or bad. I'm glad things are slotting into place for you and that you can look back on your time in Perth with some fond memories.

I remember from your previous posts that you were not totally struck on the schools here in Perth, did you have any trouble getting places for your boys back home?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Good Luck with your new life in the UK. Sounds like you have made the right decision to move back and glad to hear you have no regrets about Perth.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like things are going pretty well. I'm sure your son will make friends and settle soon enough.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone for your replies and good wishes! Just like to add a tinsy wincy bit to my post, as I can't hold it in....

I feel so bloody alive here it's unbelievable! What is it about Perth that makes some people feel dead inside? 'fraid I was one of them. I felt sluggish and drained all the time - it was bizarre. It's all very pretty and we had some great times, but OMG I felt like injecting some life into the place! People here are so vibrant, alive and have got something to say. The media is top as far as I'm concerned. Radio 4, 5Live, BBC World Service are unmatched. The newspapers - depending which one's you read - are quality. Perth gave me a great holiday, but nowt else!

Anyway....

stm1971 - getting the boys into a school out of catchment was easy, especially for my eldest. I had to appeal to get my four year old in though, but he was accepted straight away. It's a rural village school in a very affluent area so unless you're a village kid or are prepared to make the car journey everyday the numbers stay quite low. He had a much better day today, and has made friends with non-footballing boys. His school in Perth did very well by him in the end, so I've no real complaints there.

Patzy - I'll pick your brains about Northampton if we think we might move. Hope your return back home goes well.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you just love that "I'm Home!!!" feeling?

Hope all works out as great for you as it has for us.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:03 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Glad things are working out for you.

We lived in Milton Keynes before moving out here, knew lots of people who lived either in MK and commuted to Northampton or Visa Versa it takes around 30 minutes to commute.

Just thought I would mention it, as we loved MK, its a great city loads to do, easy to get around and countryside easily accessible. Schools are in the main good, and lots of them are relatively new.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Hi Tracyw,

I was only just thinking about you the other day, so pleased that you are still happy being back home How are you coping with the traffic and parking ?

We got back from our holidays 6 weeks ago,stayed in a place called Ilfracombe had agreat time, even though it did rain most of the week we where there. We left Ilfracome and then headed back into London, took us 4 hours on the motorway,no traffic problems.it was great.mind you I did not drive my OH had to as I was a little nervous,must be my age

All the best to you and yours I.G.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Northamptonshire for 5 years and loved it we lived in a village called Kislingbury just North of Sixfields the cinema, bowling restaurants and supermarkets were only 2 miles away in 6 fields, OH commuted to Milton Keynes 20-25 mins down the A5 I covered the whole home counties as well as commuting to London all do able! MK is very transient but it does depend what you want.
When we moved to Bicester OH still commuted to Northampton which is another thought as is Corby, Wellingborough etc
good luck
can wait until we return 17 weeks 5 days and counting
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Thanks. Yep, it's great!

To not hear shop assistants/cashiers etc., saying "Hi, how ya going" and "enjoy the rest of your day" is fantastic! As if they gave a rats arse how I was anyway!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
Glad things are working out for you.

We lived in Milton Keynes before moving out here, knew lots of people who lived either in MK and commuted to Northampton or Visa Versa it takes around 30 minutes to commute.

Just thought I would mention it, as we loved MK, its a great city loads to do, easy to get around and countryside easily accessible. Schools are in the main good, and lots of them are relatively new.
Originally Posted by janeyk
We lived in Northamptonshire for 5 years and loved it we lived in a village called Kislingbury just North of Sixfields the cinema, bowling restaurants and supermarkets were only 2 miles away in 6 fields, OH commuted to Milton Keynes 20-25 mins down the A5 I covered the whole home counties as well as commuting to London all do able! MK is very transient but it does depend what you want.
When we moved to Bicester OH still commuted to Northampton which is another thought as is Corby, Wellingborough etc
good luck
can wait until we return 17 weeks 5 days and counting
Thanks both of you for the info. My hubby says from what he's already seen, that it's a lovely part of the country. Seems like there are lots of nice villages etc., and the schools look come out really well in national stats. I think I'll go down for a weekend and have a look around. Only stumbling block is moving my boys again, doesn't bare thinking about after just settling eldest in at his new school.

Hope your move back goes well janeyk.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hi Tracyw,

I was only just thinking about you the other day, so pleased that you are still happy being back home How are you coping with the traffic and parking ?

We got back from our holidays 6 weeks ago,stayed in a place called Ilfracombe had agreat time, even though it did rain most of the week we where there. We left Ilfracome and then headed back into London, took us 4 hours on the motorway,no traffic problems.it was great.mind you I did not drive my OH had to as I was a little nervous,must be my age

All the best to you and yours I.G.
Hi there, yup, still loving being home, how about you? The Grockles didn't bother us at all, yes their potty driving around tiny lanes sent us a bit insane, but on the whole there was no extra pressure on the roads at all.
We felt really sorry for the poor sods heading home, towing caravans after a washout of a summer. Ah well, sympathy over with, we can have our beaches back now for rock pooling

Thanks. Yep, it's great!

To not hear shop assistants/cashiers etc., saying "Hi, how ya going" and "enjoy the rest of your day" is fantastic! As if they gave a rats arse how I was anyway!
I know, it's great isn't it. It used to drive me insane over there. I always wanted to say something to the "How ya gawin?" questions like "Well actually it's crap because I'm stuck in this oversized boring sandpit!" just to see their reactions!!! Just love the fact they either just grunt at me here, smile a bit and maybe, if I'm really really lucky they'll totally ignore me altogether!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.