Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going to UK to visit fiance - any potential problems being let in?

Going to UK to visit fiance - any potential problems being let in?

Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Brichheve is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Going to UK to visit fiance - any potential problems being let in?

Okay, Friday I'm flying from Kansas out to the UK to see my fiance. He will eventually move to the States, but we're still waiting on the process a bit (which I know everyone here is WELL familiar with). Our I-129F has been approved, so he can't come out here until he gets the visa. From all I've read, I can still go see him, though.

BUT, I've heard horror stories about people being turned away at UK customs because of immigration fears. Main story I heard was of a jobless, single woman with a one-way ticket who was coming from Canada to see her UK boyfriend, and intended to go back within a couple of weeks, but just didn't know exactly when. Customs wouldn't let her in, and she was sent home to Canada because they feared she'd marry to stay.

SO, to hedge my bets, I'm bringing my carry-on luggage:

* a copy of my divorce decree and parenting agreement showing that I am the residential parent for my 5-year-old, so I will need to be back in the states for her when her holiday visitation with her father is over;

* my itinerary showing my return ticket;

* my mortgage statement showing I have financial obligations in the states;

* my most recent pay stub from my work, showing I have a steady job to go back to; and

* a copy of the letter from my work (which I'm giving to John as part of my I-134 affidavit of support) stating I've worked at the same place for 8 1/2 years.

I'm satisfied that this will be sufficient to get me into the UK, and reassure the UK I will indeed be leaving again because I've got a lovely daughter, a steady job, and an icky mortgage to go back to.

Any potential problems for me getting through customs? Or am I just overthinking this way too much? I will readily admit, I tend to overthink things.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Going to UK to visit fiance - any potential problems being let in?

Originally Posted by Brichheve
Okay, Friday I'm flying from Kansas out to the UK to see my fiance. He will eventually move to the States, but we're still waiting on the process a bit (which I know everyone here is WELL familiar with). Our I-129F has been approved, so he can't come out here until he gets the visa. From all I've read, I can still go see him, though.

BUT, I've heard horror stories about people being turned away at UK customs because of immigration fears. Main story I heard was of a jobless, single woman with a one-way ticket who was coming from Canada to see her UK boyfriend, and intended to go back within a couple of weeks, but just didn't know exactly when. Customs wouldn't let her in, and she was sent home to Canada because they feared she'd marry to stay.

* a copy of my divorce decree and parenting agreement showing that I am the residential parent for my 5-year-old, so I will need to be back in the states for her when her holiday visitation with her father is over;

* my most recent pay stub from my work, showing I have a steady job to go back to; and

* a copy of the letter from my work (which I'm giving to John as part of my I-134 affidavit of support) stating I've worked at the same place for 8 1/2 years.

I'm satisfied that this will be sufficient to get me into the UK, and reassure the UK I will indeed be leaving again because I've got a lovely daughter, a steady job, and an icky mortgage to go back to.

Any potential problems for me getting through customs? Or am I just overthinking this way too much? I will readily admit, I tend to overthink things.
I think you've planned it quite well and should have sufficient evidence of ties to your home country - better to be safe. I'd stop worrying now though, have a great time in the UK.

Ellie
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

cew602 is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited my fiance in the UK in September and did not have any problems with going through UK customs. I just said I was visiting friends but did bring a copy of my approved notice for the I-129F just in case.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:13 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Somebody with a one-way ticket would certailny be turned away by immigration, the same as someone arriving in USA with a one-way ticket would
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

During the 4 times I flew into London since I've been married (3 = Heathrow; 1 = Gatwick) I've only been really questioned once. It was the 2nd time I went.. even then they let me through after about 5 minutes. The 1st & 3rd time I was let in after about 30 secs.. the 4th time after about 1 minute.. extra question just about me having been there already 3 times.

The only things I've even had to show was my return email tix and last time they did want my hotel reservations.. but that was cuz i was touring Europe for a month.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:47 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

BUT, I've heard horror stories about people being turned away at UK customs because of immigration fears. Main story I heard was of a jobless, single woman with a one-way ticket who was coming from Canada to see her UK ? I will readily admit, I tend to overthink things.

Oh dear... You will be ok!!
HAVE A NICE TRIP!

Ps: I agree with Mike;Somebody with a one-way ticket would certailny be turned away by immigration in Spain also!
Old Nov 16th 2004, 11:45 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I think a case of overthink, after all you have an approved 129F, that is for him to move to the US NOT for you to move to the UK, . Relax and have a great time.

Someone who went back and forth to the UK for 4 years-once within 2 weeks!!!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Hee hee! Thanks, all! Relaxing is not my strong suit, but overplanning is!

I'll work harder on chilling mode now....
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:53 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hee hee! Thanks, all! Relaxing is not my strong suit, but overplanning is!

I'll work harder on chilling mode now....
Let us know how your POE experience went!
Old Nov 26th 2004, 5:36 am
Maryanne Kehoe

Default Re: Going to UK to visit fiance - any potential problems being let

I flew several times into Manchester to see my then fiance. The first
time I was held for 30 minutes while they checked my passport. They were
concerned I was going to stay over there.

I was let in, they said the next time to bring proof of US residency,
employment, bank statements, etc on the next visit (to show I have
"reason to go back."

I did that on the second visit-just got asked a few questions by the
woman. On the third visit about 6 months later, I am in her line again
and the 1st thing she said to me was something like "you were in my line
just recently!"

We ended up having a pleasant 15 minute conversation since it wasn't
busy---she remembered my tale of woe at the long waits for the K-3 and
asked if "anything is better this time."

Old Nov 28th 2004, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Going to UK to visit fiance - any potential problems being let

Well, the trip in and out went well! On the way in, the guy asked me questions about John, why I was there, and I basically said, "Because my fiance can't come see me in the states until he actually has his visa because our I-129F has been approved, and we're not about to do anything to mess the process up!" Also told him I have residential custody of my daughter so there was no way I could stay. He thanked me for being honest about the process, and let me through quite easily. Went well!

Also, Packet 3 came the day before I got there, so I got to go over the forms with John, and the police certificate came the day after I left, so things are moving right along! I took my part of the forms with me when I went out, so he's all set!

For the record (and I'll add this to my signature later):

July 19, mailed I-129F application
July 21, Nebraska USCIA received it
July 26, got the NOA1
October 19, got the NOA2
November 19, John got Packet 3
November 24, mailed Part I of the Packet 3 forms
November 27, John got his police certificate
November 27, mailed off the "I have all of the info" forms.