Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going to Ireland through Heathrow on two separate tickets

Going to Ireland through Heathrow on two separate tickets

Old Sep 22nd 2016, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Jayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going to Ireland through Heathrow on two separate tickets

Some months back I bought tickets separately to save about $600. One is from the USA to LHR on BA and the other is from LHR to Cork on Aer Lingus. There is only 2hr15 minutes from UK arrival to departure to Cork.

Now with only a week before my flight I am reading if I had bought it all on the same ticket (and paid the extra $600) if the incoming flight to Heathrow is late, the airline would just put me on the next plane. However, as I booked separately and could possibly miss the flight, this will be all my fault and I'll have to purchase an extra ticket.

Also, I assume I can still go through the connecting flights area versus going all the way through UK passport control and customs and then going back in to check in again. I will not have checked luggage.

I am sort of regretting being a cheapskate right now.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Ireland through Heathrow on two separate tickets

If your first flight is delayed then,unless your second flight is with the SAME airline, the first airline has no obligation to get you onto your second flight. If you miss the second flight, you will have to purchase another ticket.

Since there is no customs to go through when flying from London to Cork, you will need to go through UK (Heathrow) immigration and customs on arriving from the US I would have thought.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 7:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You may also have to check in again at Heathrow -as the flights are separate they may not be able to issue the Aer Lingus boarding pass in in the US.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Jayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond reputeJayney2 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently I can print the Aer Lingus boarding pass 30 hours ahead so will be able to do so in the US. I think this may be achievable but thanks so much for your replies.

I have done this on different routes before but the layover between planes did not involve border control and the airport was not Heathrow, which is rather busy and messy. I only have to get from terminal 3 to terminal 2 which isn't far though. I will be entering the UK on a British passport but even those lines are getting long these days.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jayney2
Some months back I bought tickets separately to save about $600. One is from the USA to LHR on BA and the other is from LHR to Cork on Aer Lingus. There is only 2hr15 minutes from UK arrival to departure to Cork.

Now with only a week before my flight I am reading if I had bought it all on the same ticket (and paid the extra $600) if the incoming flight to Heathrow is late, the airline would just put me on the next plane. However, as I booked separately and could possibly miss the flight, this will be all my fault and I'll have to purchase an extra ticket.

Also, I assume I can still go through the connecting flights area versus going all the way through UK passport control and customs and then going back in to check in again. I will not have checked luggage.

I am sort of regretting being a cheapskate right now.
It will be tight, if even possible. We had a similar connection with a 3 hour window and we made the flight with 10 minutes to spare.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently I can print the Aer Lingus boarding pass 30 hours ahead so will be able to do so in the US. I think this may be achievable but thanks so much for your replies.

I have done this on different routes before but the layover between planes did not involve border control and the airport was not Heathrow, which is rather busy and messy. I only have to get from terminal 3 to terminal 2 which isn't far though. I will be entering the UK on a British passport but even those lines are getting long these days.
3 to 2 is a pretty short walk, probably 5-10 minutes) and has good signs,if tats any help. What time to you arrive that will affect the length of the queues!?
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana

3 to 2 is a pretty short walk, probably 5-10 minutes) and has good signs,if tats any help. What time to you arrive that will affect the length of the queues!?
11:35am
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived 6:00 a.m. with a 9:00 a.m. connection so long queues.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

i usually arrive in Term 3 at aroudn 5am,fairly quiet. This year I took a different flight in, came in at midday, slowest I've ever been. Be ready to run through the tunnel to T2
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Crap. I think I'm just going to book a later flight to Cork.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Crap. I think I'm just going to book a later flight to Cork.
Mmmmm it might work, but to be honest in your shoes I'd be worried. Too many variables - including the fact that at that time of day there's a chance of a delayed landing afterholding. Tricky one.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

I've just booked a later flight for 6:15pm. To the tune of $400. However the original ticket was only $150. So I'm still up $50.

Tell you what though, I'm still going to attempt to get on the earlier flight. Hell, I'll come back here when I'm done and let you all know how it turns out.

I have been checking at Heathrow.com and they say that if you made your own connection plans you do have to get all the way out and then check back in and shouldn't use the connection tunnel/bus. I checked other sites who were also warning me this could possibly be done but it would be risky.

Seriously, I don't know what I was thinking when I booked it. Other than it pissed me off that BA wanted $600 extra.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:39 pm
Home and Happy

I've just booked a later flight for 6:15pm. To the tune of $400. However the original ticket was only $150. So I'm still up $50.

Tell you what though, I'm still going to attempt to get on the earlier flight. Hell, I'll come back here when I'm done and let you all know how it turns out.

I have been checking at Heathrow.com and they say that if you made your own connection plans you do have to get all the way out and then check back in and shouldn't use the connection tunnel/bus. I checked other sites who were also warning me this could possibly be done but it would be risky.

Seriously, I don't know what I was thinking when I booked it. Other than it pissed me off that BA wanted $600 extra.
for you, though its a bugger about the money. Its easy enough once you are landside, its just the possibility of a delayed landing, plus the immigrtion queue......
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

I remember the days of flashing a UK passport without it even being open and immigration would wave us on through. Not these days.

Anyway, I feel I have some peace of mind now. I would have wound myself up no end about it. The extra $400 is probably worth it to me now. And still less than I may end up paying if I missed the flight, going by some missed flight stories.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Update;

Managed to get through immigration and customs relatively quickly. Went from terminal three to terminal 2 and re check my bag, go back through security in the 2hr 15minute window between flights.

If the US flight had been late, I'd have been messed up. So yes, I bought another ticket without any need. I will not get myself into such a pickle again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.