Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back without a home/family base

Going back without a home/family base

Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:07 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going back without a home/family base

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's gone back without either returning to where they lived before, and/or to where they have close family.

We'll be in that situation, and I'm starting to try to imagine what it'll be like. I think the problem is that when we've been back for holidays it's been traveling around to visit friends, which is fun, but not real life. We want to give everyday life in England a chance.

It's strange, really, because our everyday life here is pretty quiet, and most of it (home-based work, internet connections, reading, gardening, going for walks and such) can happen there just as easily as here. But we won't have friends around, and I think I still feel we should be dashing around back home as if we were tourists.

Anyone else feel like that? As I said above, anyone moved into a new area where they don't know anyone? How's it gone?

Bev
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:11 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Going back without a home/family base

I havent done it yet but have thought the same as when we go home dont know when yet. we have a bit of land we could build on beside my DH parents house but it will be an hour away from were we both grew up and my family and friends Im used to having my parents and sisters right beside me we are a very close family so was wondering if i was down in Carlow with inlaws whom I love so no problems there how would I settle would I feel funny there.

I guess people will be closer and friends and family can visit at weekends not like here and Ill be around fimilar things and I hope this doesnt sound mad but like minded people IYKWIM

Are you planning on going home
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:20 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Planning on next spring. Oh to be in England now that April's there, and all that.

Bev
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:28 am

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bevm
Planning on next spring. Oh to be in England now that April's there, and all that.

Bev
excellent something to look forward to
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's gone back without either returning to where they lived before, and/or to where they have close family.

We'll be in that situation, and I'm starting to try to imagine what it'll be like. I think the problem is that when we've been back for holidays it's been traveling around to visit friends, which is fun, but not real life. We want to give everyday life in England a chance.

It's strange, really, because our everyday life here is pretty quiet, and most of it (home-based work, internet connections, reading, gardening, going for walks and such) can happen there just as easily as here. But we won't have friends around, and I think I still feel we should be dashing around back home as if we were tourists.

Anyone else feel like that? As I said above, anyone moved into a new area where they don't know anyone? How's it gone?

Bev
Well, I am facing that and a really lonely xmas and ny.
I leave first week of October and my wife and son will follow about 6 months later.

Not looking forward to the loneliness, but I will stay busy and not think about it every minute of the day.

No family worth mentioning, seen them 3 times in 40 years.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:46 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by whereamifrom
Well, I am facing that and a really lonely xmas and ny.
I leave first week of October and my wife and son will follow about 6 months later.

Not looking forward to the loneliness, but I will stay busy and not think about it every minute of the day.

No family worth mentioning, seen them 3 times in 40 years.
Where are you moving back to?

Bev
Old Sep 16th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Where are you moving back to?

Bev
Job is in London, unfortunately. SW18. So I will get a room nearby.

I am already planning on landing at Heathrow, going into the local council office, and ask for a reference to go to the Salvation Army room for a month until I get my first paycheck.

I thought I could get there with 1000 in my pocket, now it is going to be 300.

But I am looking forward to going back home.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by whereamifrom
Job is in London, unfortunately. SW18. So I will get a room nearby.

I am already planning on landing at Heathrow, going into the local council office, and ask for a reference to go to the Salvation Army room for a month until I get my first paycheck.

I thought I could get there with 1000 in my pocket, now it is going to be 300.

But I am looking forward to going back home.
fair play to you it will be hard but worth it in the end

sending you some karma it all works out for you
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:18 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yes, we are moving back to somewhere new in the Uk.
We are moving to York as we've been there both socially and for business and we just love it. Family will be a 2 hour train ride away.

I'm originally from Glasgow but have lived away from there since 1997. I always wanted to live somewhere quaint and Glasgow never quite fit the bill.
So - it's York for us. I know what it's like, so no real surprises hopefully, and I'm looking forwards to a new start there, but with the added bonus of familiarities all around and friends and family nearby.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:28 pm
Just hanging around

Yes, it is going to be lovely to travel a shortish distance to visit friends, and for them to be able to visit us. None of them have ever come to visit us here, though they've talked about it. Too busy taking holidays on the continent. That'll be what we'll be doing soon.

Our friends and relatives think it's such a huge thing to visit Canada, but I'm always bumping into tourists here. A group from Bury last week, one from Winchester yesterday. They all thought England just fine, though the Bury contingent said the weather had been rough.

Bev