going back to uk

Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

rtan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default going back to uk

Hi there
I am British born in 1969 but lived in Canada all my life. I currently have a British passport from Ottawa's High Commission. I would like to settle in the UK next year on a long term basis (i.e. at least a year or two). My dad says, I may need a British visa for this. Is this true? Also, if I decide to move to another EU country with a British passport, am I able to settle on a long term basis in countries like France, Spain or Germany? I also have a BCom from Ryerson in Toronto. Lastly, how long would it take for me to qualify for NHS coverage as well? Is a year correct?
Thanks for the help
P.S. I looked everywhere for info but there was nothing conclusive for these questions.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:46 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going back to uk

If you are a British citizen you don't need a visa to live in the UK.
I'm not sure on how long you have to be in UK to qualify for NHS, some say day one, but others have been told a few months with proof that you are a permanent resident. So opinions seem to vary.
You can move to other EU countries with your UK citizenship. Asking some UK Ex pats who live in those countries will give you a better idea of how it's done.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 7:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rtan
Hi there
I am British born in 1969 but lived in Canada all my life. I currently have a British passport from Ottawa's High Commission. I would like to settle in the UK next year on a long term basis (i.e. at least a year or two). My dad says, I may need a British visa for this. Is this true?
No.

But if you're not a Canadian citizen, you will not be allowed to return to Canada after a few years.

Also, if I decide to move to another EU country with a British passport, am I able to settle on a long term basis in countries like France, Spain or Germany?
Yes.

Lastly, how long would it take for me to qualify for NHS coverage as well? Is a year correct?
No. As soon as you establish residence in the United Kingdom, you are eligible for the NHS.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rtan
Hi there
I am British born in 1969 but lived in Canada all my life. I currently have a British passport from Ottawa's High Commission. I would like to settle in the UK next year on a long term basis (i.e. at least a year or two). My dad says, I may need a British visa for this. Is this true? Also, if I decide to move to another EU country with a British passport, am I able to settle on a long term basis in countries like France, Spain or Germany? I also have a BCom from Ryerson in Toronto. Lastly, how long would it take for me to qualify for NHS coverage as well? Is a year correct?
Thanks for the help
P.S. I looked everywhere for info but there was nothing conclusive for these questions.
rtan

We return to the UK from Canada and my wife registered us within a month at the local doctors surgery. I know also my two sons were having dental treatment on the NHS within a year of returning the UK.

hudd