Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back silly questions

Going back silly questions

Old May 30th 2006, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back silly questions

Originally Posted by dunroving
I know we often have questions regarding different systems, etc., in the UK compared to wherever we are returning from (e.g., pension regulations, electrical, etc.). But here are a couple of silly ones (feel free to add your own silly questions):

Are hosepipe fittings the same in the UK as the States? I need to know if there's any point in shipping back my garden hoses and hosepipe fittings (watering extensions, etc.).

Also, can you get Swiffers and Swiffer Wet Jets in the UK? If not, there's no point shipping mine back with me.

Also, does anyone know if shippers are fussy about you shipping "chemicals"? I have all kinds of stuff that will probably cost me a hundred quid or two to replace such as my bicycle lube (I stocked up on it last fall), degreaser, gardening chemicals, and all kinds of other stuff. None of it is corrosive or explosive. I was thinking of putting each container in plastic bags, and then into a Rubbermaid type container.

p.s. Are phone fittings the same too? I am thinking of taking my Lingo/VOIP modem over (see US Forum thread), and wondered if landline phone specs (frequencies, cord fittings, whatever) are the same over there or if I'd need to take a US phone...?
My suggestion would be to hold a garage sale or donate items like hosepipes, etc. that you won't be shipping to the UK.

Shippers won't accept household chemicals (e.g. bleach, ammonia, etc.) in the shipment. It's too much of a hazzard. Your shipper should be able to provide a list of prohibited chemicals.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Slightly different but related question:

An English acqiantance recently said (after she heard I was going home), "Ooh, you'll have to start buying those things you can't get in the UK!" I can't for the life of me think of many things that fall into that category ... except I did buy a Litespeed bicycle as I know they are a lot more expensive over there (and after 10 years of riding a 25 year old bike, I felt like I'd earned it). I might get a new LL Bean Gore-Tex jacket for my soon-to-be cold, wet days of hiking as my other one is a bit tired.

A friend at home has asked me to take home a REI tent for him, and when he was here last he took home a box of the zip-up Ziploc bags (for camping; apparently he said he hadn't seen them in the UK).

Anything else spring to mind? Not as if I'm looking for excuses to spend money, you understand.
Buttered Microwave Popcorn and decent pancake syrup..... And Ibruprophen that comes 150 to the bottle. That's what I want.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Scout
Buttered Microwave Popcorn and decent pancake syrup..... And Ibruprophen that comes 150 to the bottle. That's what I want.

Horror.....no buttered microwave popcorn....I get through a whole bag of Redenbachers in a hour (no sharing). What flavours are there in the UK ? I've been throughly converted on the microwave popcorn sice being here, I'll definately miss that.
Old May 30th 2006, 8:53 pm

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Oh yes..before we came to the UK I did ask one of my us friends to buy me lots zip-up Ziploc bags from the PX...I love them.... wonder why they dont sell some thing like that over here...
The Costco in Edinburgh sell them!
Old May 30th 2006, 9:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezebel
Horror.....no buttered microwave popcorn....I get through a whole bag of Redenbachers in a hour (no sharing). What flavours are there in the UK ? I've been throughly converted on the microwave popcorn sice being here, I'll definately miss that.
you don't want to know how bad those microwave popcorns are for you then
Old May 31st 2006, 1:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jezebel
An hour? It took you that long? Ten minutes, more like! And the dog only helps me out a little bit!
Old May 31st 2006, 1:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
My suggestion would be to hold a garage sale or donate items like hosepipes, etc. that you won't be shipping to the UK.

Shippers won't accept household chemicals (e.g. bleach, ammonia, etc.) in the shipment. It's too much of a hazzard. Your shipper should be able to provide a list of prohibited chemicals.
I'll be doing a lot of donating. The woman who bought my house will be getting a stack of free stuff (she is starting from scratch in my house). Also, my grad students will get my office fridge, fan, fan heater, resume printer paper (wrong size for UK), etc.
Old May 31st 2006, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KRoss
The Costco in Edinburgh sell them!
Yeah right..just drop in next time I'm in that area....I only live a short drive away, right next to London
Old May 31st 2006, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
apparently, all weather and cold weather camping gear is better in the UK than over here and cheaper...unless your going for the light summer stuff...

you might want to pick up some puter gear, blue booth toys and thumb drives are a lot cheaper here than the UK, same with DSLR cameras', spools of DVD+R's are a lot cheaper here too in the 100+ packs....water cooling systems for your puter, lots cheaper here than the UK, but then you have to worry about imperial hoses and screws if things ever go wrong,but always makes ebay money.

If your into candles or want to give them out to folks as gifts, there a lot cheaper here, especially the soy bean ones and those nice smellies...oh yeah, smellies in general, I know you can't get Cerruti- Image for women in the US, but all the same, a lot of the smellies are a fair bit cheaper over here.

If your into MTD'ing, especially XC or DH, shocks are a lot cheaper here, especially the really nice long travel front forks, and disc brakes, could always flog some to mates back home
Computer water cooling systems Bob......whenever I spill a cold drink over mine it won't work again.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Computer water cooling systems Bob......whenever I spill a cold drink over mine it won't work again.
hehe...aye, well water cooling is all sealed up units...and the real joy is when they spring a leak