Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going back silly questions

Going back silly questions

Old May 28th 2006, 7:01 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going back silly questions

I know we often have questions regarding different systems, etc., in the UK compared to wherever we are returning from (e.g., pension regulations, electrical, etc.). But here are a couple of silly ones (feel free to add your own silly questions):

Are hosepipe fittings the same in the UK as the States? I need to know if there's any point in shipping back my garden hoses and hosepipe fittings (watering extensions, etc.).

Also, can you get Swiffers and Swiffer Wet Jets in the UK? If not, there's no point shipping mine back with me.

Also, does anyone know if shippers are fussy about you shipping "chemicals"? I have all kinds of stuff that will probably cost me a hundred quid or two to replace such as my bicycle lube (I stocked up on it last fall), degreaser, gardening chemicals, and all kinds of other stuff. None of it is corrosive or explosive. I was thinking of putting each container in plastic bags, and then into a Rubbermaid type container.

p.s. Are phone fittings the same too? I am thinking of taking my Lingo/VOIP modem over (see US Forum thread), and wondered if landline phone specs (frequencies, cord fittings, whatever) are the same over there or if I'd need to take a US phone...?

Last edited by dunroving; May 28th 2006 at 7:06 am.
Old May 28th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back silly questions

Originally Posted by dunroving
I know we often have questions regarding different systems, etc., in the UK compared to wherever we are returning from (e.g., pension regulations, electrical, etc.). But here are a couple of silly ones (feel free to add your own silly questions):

Are hosepipe fittings the same in the UK as the States? I need to know if there's any point in shipping back my garden hoses and hosepipe fittings (watering extensions, etc.).

Also, can you get Swiffers and Swiffer Wet Jets in the UK? If not, there's no point shipping mine back with me.

Also, does anyone know if shippers are fussy about you shipping "chemicals"? I have all kinds of stuff that will probably cost me a hundred quid or two to replace such as my bicycle lube (I stocked up on it last fall), degreaser, gardening chemicals, and all kinds of other stuff. None of it is corrosive or explosive. I was thinking of putting each container in plastic bags, and then into a Rubbermaid type container.

p.s. Are phone fittings the same too? I am thinking of taking my Lingo/VOIP modem over (see US Forum thread), and wondered if landline phone specs (frequencies, cord fittings, whatever) are the same over there or if I'd need to take a US phone...?
I don't know about the hose pipe fittings (but would guess no).

I haven't seen a Swiffer or a the Swiffer Wet Jets and have been looking for them. I brought my Swiffer and they do sell similar cloths, but they aren't as good. I keep hoping the real thing will magically appear on the Tesco shelves any day.

All the chemicals I left in the States rather than try and figure out what I could and couldn't bring in.

I don't think the phone stuff is the same.
Old May 28th 2006, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

We bought our hose pipes with us and they fit ok.

Phones plug in thingys (a womens technical description!) are different, at least it is from Aus to UK.
Old May 28th 2006, 5:59 pm
stevetheradio

stevetheradio is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out www.mcga.gov.uk website..look under the subheading 'Safety'..theres a bit on the 'transportation of dangerous goods by sea'..it may help you to sort out what you can ship back - the problem with shipping anything on the prohibited list is that your shipping insurance will be wholly invalidated if you pack chemicals you shouldnt! If you have no luck there then any freight forwarders office will help you out.
Old May 28th 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PLANTS
We bought our hose pipes with us and they fit ok.
Dunroving's coming from the US to the UK. The US is not on the metric system. I'm pretty sure those hoses aren't going to fit.
Old May 28th 2006, 10:10 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

We were told by our shippers that we couldn't take any cleaning materials that were toxic or hazardous, such as bleach and stuff so I don't think you'll be able to bring back any "chemicals". Do check with your shippers though cos they know exactly what you can and can't take.

Good luck.
Old May 29th 2006, 7:41 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don't think the hose pipes will work, only because we once bought a sprinkler thingy in Costco UK (years ago when they first opened in the UK) and it didn't fit as it was a US fitting.

Our UK phone/modem jack plugs don't fit here (yes the packers packed literally everything, even the stuff that was going to the charity shop and tip )
Old May 29th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

We brought our hosepipe from UK to US and it fit fine onto other fittings and taps, so the extra ones we brought whilst here we're taking back to the UK.

Phone extension fitting we have for our laptop, from UK, fits US wall jacks, so I assume an US one going to UK will fit into the wall socket but as far as adapting to UK phone system I have no idea !

Chemicals.......we brought our car cleaning stuff over (t-cut) no problems but you will be advised by your shipping company to avoid any chemicals that on spillage may cause corrosion or other damaging effects, I reckon all your stuff will be okay apart from gardening products (remember UK brought in certain laws about pesticides etc a few years ago).

My sister-in-law in the UK has a swiffer wet jet, as far as the quality of the clothes compared to the US....dunno....stock up before you get packed away !

Hope that helps !
Old May 29th 2006, 9:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Errr...the hose, probably won't fit...but if it's close you can always use that plumbing tape to seal the spigot thingy...

The phones, well you got your answer there... and the chemicals, I wouldn't bother with it myself, but no harm in asking the moval people to see what they say......
Old May 29th 2006, 11:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I moved from Canada back to UK. Hosepipe didn't fit so ended up binning it. They sell swiffers and the swiffer wetjet is made by Flash. Bring the mop and pads but leave the plug in sprays behind you will be able to buy them in England.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly different but related question:

An English acqiantance recently said (after she heard I was going home), "Ooh, you'll have to start buying those things you can't get in the UK!" I can't for the life of me think of many things that fall into that category ... except I did buy a Litespeed bicycle as I know they are a lot more expensive over there (and after 10 years of riding a 25 year old bike, I felt like I'd earned it). I might get a new LL Bean Gore-Tex jacket for my soon-to-be cold, wet days of hiking as my other one is a bit tired.

A friend at home has asked me to take home a REI tent for him, and when he was here last he took home a box of the zip-up Ziploc bags (for camping; apparently he said he hadn't seen them in the UK).

Anything else spring to mind? Not as if I'm looking for excuses to spend money, you understand.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

An English acqiantance recently said (after she heard I was going home), "Ooh, you'll have to start buying those things you can't get in the UK!" I can't for the life of me think of many things that fall into that category ... except I did buy a Litespeed bicycle as I know they are a lot more expensive over there (and after 10 years of riding a 25 year old bike, I felt like I'd earned it). I might get a new LL Bean Gore-Tex jacket for my soon-to-be cold, wet days of hiking as my other one is a bit tired.

A friend at home has asked me to take home a REI tent for him, and when he was here last he took home a box of the zip-up Ziploc bags (for camping; apparently he said he hadn't seen them in the UK).

Anything else spring to mind? Not as if I'm looking for excuses to spend money, you understand.
Oh yes..before we came to the UK I did ask one of my us friends to buy me lots zip-up Ziploc bags from the PX...I love them.... wonder why they dont sell some thing like that over here...
Old May 30th 2006, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

Denim....branded items still really expensive in UK......that's if you're a ''denim'' kinda guy dunroving ?!

Sports clothing. I'm picking up loads of handy kitchen gadgets from Target/Walmart, maybe they have them back home now but I reckon they'll be more than $1.99 !!!

Altoids, never heard of them before coming here but apparently they're British, can you buy them in the UK ?

Oh have you got one of those cute water dispensers for your doggie ? Walmart about $9, we've had loads of request from family in the UK to bring some back for them.
Old May 30th 2006, 2:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

apparently, all weather and cold weather camping gear is better in the UK than over here and cheaper...unless your going for the light summer stuff...

you might want to pick up some puter gear, blue booth toys and thumb drives are a lot cheaper here than the UK, same with DSLR cameras', spools of DVD+R's are a lot cheaper here too in the 100+ packs....water cooling systems for your puter, lots cheaper here than the UK, but then you have to worry about imperial hoses and screws if things ever go wrong,but always makes ebay money.

If your into candles or want to give them out to folks as gifts, there a lot cheaper here, especially the soy bean ones and those nice smellies...oh yeah, smellies in general, I know you can't get Cerruti- Image for women in the US, but all the same, a lot of the smellies are a fair bit cheaper over here.

If your into MTD'ing, especially XC or DH, shocks are a lot cheaper here, especially the really nice long travel front forks, and disc brakes, could always flog some to mates back home
Old May 30th 2006, 2:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by jezebel

Altoids, never heard of them before coming here but apparently they're British, can you buy them in the UK ?
aye, there British, you can get them in Tesco's...well I've seen them in the one in Oxford and Egham...didn't have all the flavours you get here though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.