Going back to Canada

Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to Canada

Originally Posted by Bevm
Fortunately, or maybe not, we've never been keen on exploring wild places, especially mountainous ones. We do like beaches, preferably without many people around, and they are more common in Canada. Mostly on the coasts, of course, but one does come across lakes with small beaches and hardly anyone around.

Don't you find the wilder places in Canada pretty deserted -- apart from the mosquitos and black fly? I suppose not in the major parks close to cities.
Unfortunately, the wilderness places are so heavily forested that it is so difficult to walk, as there are no obvious thoroughfares. I used to live in NW Ontario and the closest I got to being able to walk in the open for a decent distance was during the winter when the lakes froze over, thereby opening up walking routes. It was also more bearable as no bugs were trying to eat me alive!!

Beaches here are really only accessible to those who live near a coastline, as the vast majority of accessible lakefront is privately owned (in Ontario, not sure about any other provinces) and therefore off-limits to the general public. Lakefront beaches don't hold the same appeal to this girl who was born and raised by the sea!
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

With somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 miles of coastline, Britain probably has more beach per square mile of territory than any other country! It's all different, too, so there's something for everybody. A couple of weeks ago I spent some time on the beach and sand dunes at Horsey in Norfolk, where the largest grey seal colony in East Anglia hang out. Some of the adults were enormous - but despite their size they seemed to enjoy surfing in on the waves. It was an amazing sight, and there were hardly any human spectators there.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
With somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 miles of coastline, Britain probably has more beach per square mile of territory than any other country! It's all different, too, so there's something for everybody. A couple of weeks ago I spent some time on the beach and sand dunes at Horsey in Norfolk, where the largest grey seal colony in East Anglia hang out. Some of the adults were enormous - but despite their size they seemed to enjoy surfing in on the waves. It was an amazing sight, and there were hardly any human spectators there.
Yes British coastline is spectacular and we can all have our favourite parts. How different life can be... here in Nebraska by the Sea we have this overly welathy little rich enclave known as La Jolla (home unfortunately to the likes of Mitt Romney and countless other legends in their own minds), seals unfortunately have a hard time, you can read about it here:
San Diego Council votes to close La Jolla beach in seal pupping season - LA Times

Oh how I long for those days when I can walk a deserted beach without luvvies, dogooders or other angry third parties at each other's throats.

Last edited by vikingsail; Mar 15th 2016 at 5:03 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:06 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the farmland around Edmonton was closed to the public, but what prevented me enjoying the countryside even more were the mosquitoes. I've discovered that if you grow up with a type of mosquito or midge, you build up resistance to the bites and cease to notice them. My husband gets the worst of both worlds: he grew up on Vancouver Island, and has no immunity to either the mosquitoes of Alberta or rural Devon. At least here in Devon, I'm not aware of being bitten. My OH has been digging the garden the last few days and last night his bites were troubling him so much he had to take an anti-histamine and a painkiller before he could get to sleep.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 5:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
With somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 miles of coastline, Britain probably has more beach per square mile of territory than any other country!
You'd think someone would have measured more precisely by now.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You'd think someone would have measured more precisely by now.
Yes! I think it's to do with different ways of measuring the smaller indentations that are a feature of coastlines, especially rocky coasts.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 6:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The length of coastline of Great Britain plus its principal islands is about 19,491 miles (31,368 km). The length of coastline of England only is about 5581 miles (8982 kms), and of mainland England plus the Isle of Wight, Lundy and the Scilly Isles is 6261 miles (10,077 kms)
The British Cartographic Society.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Unfortunately, the wilderness places are so heavily forested that it is so difficult to walk, as there are no obvious thoroughfares. I used to live in NW Ontario and the closest I got to being able to walk in the open for a decent distance was during the winter when the lakes froze over, thereby opening up walking routes. It was also more bearable as no bugs were trying to eat me alive!!

Beaches here are really only accessible to those who live near a coastline, as the vast majority of accessible lakefront is privately owned (in Ontario, not sure about any other provinces) and therefore off-limits to the general public. Lakefront beaches don't hold the same appeal to this girl who was born and raised by the sea!
Trish, if you don't mind my asking, whereabouts in NWO did you live? I grew up in that neck of the woods a couple of hours west of Thunder Bay. Your assessment of the bush btw is spot on. Walking could sometimes be a challenge in the summer as you'd get eaten alive. Then there was the bigger wildlife to worry about...
Old Mar 15th 2016, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Trish, if you don't mind my asking, whereabouts in NWO did you live? I grew up in that neck of the woods a couple of hours west of Thunder Bay. Your assessment of the bush btw is spot on. Walking could sometimes be a challenge in the summer as you'd get eaten alive. Then there was the bigger wildlife to worry about...
I was as far north as one can go on paved road in Ontario ... Red Lake!
Where did you grow up? Atikokan? Ignace?
Old Mar 15th 2016, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I was as far north as one can go on paved road in Ontario ... Red Lake!
Where did you grow up? Atikokan? Ignace?
I didn't know that's where the pavement ended. My last boss' family had a motel up there. I grew up in Atikokan, my Dad and one of my sisters still live there. They were calling for 4-6 inches of snow there today. Do I miss it? Take a wild guess!
Old Mar 16th 2016, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
I didn't know that's where the pavement ended. My last boss' family had a motel up there. I grew up in Atikokan, my Dad and one of my sisters still live there. They were calling for 4-6 inches of snow there today. Do I miss it? Take a wild guess!
Ah, that'll be the Marion family, I'm guessing. Joel married a girl from Atikokan.
I worked for a few days for several months providing cover in Atikokan when the local therapist was on mat leave, so I got to know it pretty well. It was sad to see how a town fares when the dominant industry and employer shuts up shop. Met some lovely people there.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah, that'll be the Marion family, I'm guessing. Joel married a girl from Atikokan.
I worked for a few days for several months providing cover in Atikokan when the local therapist was on mat leave, so I got to know it pretty well. It was sad to see how a town fares when the dominant industry and employer shuts up shop. Met some lovely people there.
Small world! I've pm'd you.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:01 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Great beaches along the east coast of England, but as you say, cold for swimming.

Dallas Road in Victoria is probably the most popular one, but not a great beach. Willows beach in Oak Bay is also popular and can get crowded on a hot day. I think the water's shallow there so warm enough for paddling.

There's a nice small beach at Gonzales, which is rarely busy, and the McNeil Bay one is generally quiet, but it doesn't have much sand. Or didn't. When we were there it was coming in from somewhere. But as a walking beach, it's fine and it has tidal pools and such, along with the spectacular view of the Olympics.

I grew up playing on the beach in Morecambe, so I suppose I assume cold water for swimming!
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:06 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by europlatus
There are lots of deserted beaches here in BC, but for me they suffer the same problem as English beaches in that they are too cold! Even on a hot day (just a few weeks a year), the water is way too cold to swim. The beaches in Victoria are very busy on hot days but their proximity is great. The drive along Dallas Road is something I'll never get tired of. The Gulf Islands have very interesting beaches for exploring rock pools and there's a good chance of seeing orcas and seals offshore. Mainly rocky and pebbly beaches though, you don't find golden sandy beaches here.
I don't know where you're from originally, but I'd say Victoria has more than a few weeks of hot days. It's generally all summer, but rarely reaching 30, which is fine by us! Perhaps you think of that as cool.

Long Beach has sand and there are others nearby, but it's a fair way to the west coast of the island. Lovely over there, however.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

europlatus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bevm
I don't know where you're from originally, but I'd say Victoria has more than a few weeks of hot days. It's generally all summer, but rarely reaching 30, which is fine by us! Perhaps you think of that as cool.

Long Beach has sand and there are others nearby, but it's a fair way to the west coast of the island. Lovely over there, however.
I'm from Cheshire originally, so I definitely did not grow up with hot weather. Summers here in Victoria are wonderful, sunny and dry. But they're not hot. You typically get just a couple of weeks where the temperatures are above 25 degrees, and I was referring to those weeks as when you might want to dip your toe in the icy water here. The average high temp in summer here is just 20 degrees. I love the summers here, but I could do with it being just a bit warmer, especially in the evenings when it cools down considerably in the downtown neighbourhoods.

Not that England will be better of course. I'll certainly miss the sunny, dry summers here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.