Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Global Entry UK Background Check

Global Entry UK Background Check

Old Dec 4th 2019, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Global Entry UK Background Check

I'm not sure if - strictly speaking - this is the correct forum for this, so happy for the admins to move it if necessary.

Basically I'm in the process of applying for Global Entry, and have submitted my information to the UK Government in order to obtain the background check and the UK Access Code.

The website stated that this will take up to 10 days, however I'm curious as to what it is that they are actually going to DO?

I have a clean Police record and was able to obtain my visa without issue, however some of the questions that the background check asked were a bit unusual, focusing more on things like customs violations and immigration breaches.

Is the UK government basically just doing a glorified PNC check here, similar to a "disclosure" that you would do to work with vulnerable groups?

Like I said I don't have any reason to think that the background check will return anything other than a favorable result, but I'm just curious as to what they are actually going to be doing for my 42 quid!
Old Dec 4th 2019, 10:55 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global Entry UK Background Check

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I'm not sure if - strictly speaking - this is the correct forum for this, so happy for the admins to move it if necessary.

Basically I'm in the process of applying for Global Entry, and have submitted my information to the UK Government in order to obtain the background check and the UK Access Code.

The website stated that this will take up to 10 days, however I'm curious as to what it is that they are actually going to DO?

I have a clean Police record and was able to obtain my visa without issue, however some of the questions that the background check asked were a bit unusual, focusing more on things like customs violations and immigration breaches.

Is the UK government basically just doing a glorified PNC check here, similar to a "disclosure" that you would do to work with vulnerable groups?

Like I said I don't have any reason to think that the background check will return anything other than a favorable result, but I'm just curious as to what they are actually going to be doing for my 42 quid!
share your details with “agencies” and check databases...
Old Dec 4th 2019, 11:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Making sure you’re not on a watchlist.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine came through in less than 12 hours, so it must have been a quick background check.

However, it's been nearly two months sat in "pending conditional approval" - looks like I won't be able to benefit returning to the US after Christmas
Old Dec 5th 2019, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Making sure you’re not on a watchlist.
I'm not sure why they specifically need to go out to the UK for that, or why that wouldn't have been checked as part of my original visa application process.

Either way I don't have any particular need for Global Entry, but as far as I'm aware it's the only way that I can currently get TSA Pre without being a Permanent Resident.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why they specifically need to go out to the UK for that, or why that wouldn't have been checked as part of my original visa application process.

Either way I don't have any particular need for Global Entry, but as far as I'm aware it's the only way that I can currently get TSA Pre without being a Permanent Resident.
You may be disappointed - in my experience, even with Global Entry, TSA Pre is restricted to US citizens/permanent residents and Canadian citizens (with Nexus). IMBW though.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Because you’re a British citizen. They can check their own watchlists but they need to ask to check the UK’s.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Global Entry is a Trusted Traveller Programme and any Customs or Immigrations infractions would usually never show up on any Police check unless an arrest is involved.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bc2015
You may be disappointed - in my experience, even with Global Entry, TSA Pre is restricted to US citizens/permanent residents and Canadian citizens (with Nexus). IMBW though.
I sure hope not - that (and the fact that my employer is paying for it) is pretty much the only reason I actually want it!
Old Dec 5th 2019, 7:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I sure hope not - that (and the fact that my employer is paying for it) is pretty much the only reason I actually want it!
I got mine free from the main Airline I flew as a GC holder. It includes Pre, now I got USC it’s broken and no Pre... strangely when I booked flights for family they also got Pre on their boarding passes, which I kind of understood when my wife and children were flying with me, less so when it was a ticket I brought my mother that had her on FF number in the reservation....
Old Dec 5th 2019, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht
as a GC holder
Yup, that right there is the problem.

I don't have my Green Card yet, so I'm not able to sign up directly for TSA Pre or any of the other programs.

It's a real pain, as I do a significant amount of domestic travel for work.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that right there is the problem.

I don't have my Green Card yet, so I'm not able to sign up directly for TSA Pre or any of the other programs.

It's a real pain, as I do a significant amount of domestic travel for work.
Yep the problem is that even though GE "includes" TSA Pre, the qualification criteria for TSA Pre still applies. So you get GE as a British citizen but you don't qualify for TSA Pre as you don't meet their qualification criteria.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ahh well.

We're currently awaiting PERM, so if I sign up now will I be eligible to get a KTN once I complete AOS?
Old Dec 5th 2019, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just to add to the mixed messaging, I've had TSA Pre on my boarding pass before when travelling on the same booking as my USC partner (who has TSA Pre), so I wish they could make their mind up as to whether I'm a risk or not
Old Dec 6th 2019, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Yep the problem is that even though GE "includes" TSA Pre, the qualification criteria for TSA Pre still applies. So you get GE as a British citizen but you don't qualify for TSA Pre as you don't meet their qualification criteria.
No idea where you've heard that but it's wrong, if you are approved for Global Entry you'll be given a KTN and get TSA Pre.

The only thing that non LPR/US Citizens don't get is the Global Entry card for land borders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.