Reload this Page >

Glasgow - What is it like?

Glasgow - What is it like?

Old Jul 5th 2015, 11:12 am
Just Joined

santa101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Glasgow - What is it like?

Hi,
I have recently returned from living in France and am currently staying in Bournemouth where I was originally from but I have been offered some work in Glasgow. I have only ever been to Scotland once and that was to Edinburgh which I thought was a fantastic place. I've only ever heard the stereotype negative comments about Glasgow being a rough place however recently when I've seen things about it on TV it seems to be quite different. I would love to hear from anyone who has lived in Glasgow or at least has visited who has an opinion on what it is like to live there. And also if there are any areas that might be nicer parts to live and those to avoid.
To give you an idea of what I'm looking for I am a single guy in my late 20's so don't need school catchment areas. I do like to be in area weith some buzz and something going on but I'm not a party animal so just a few good bars or restaurants are ok. I've grown out of the student mentality so would be looking for my own place in an area that feels safe and am happy to pay slightly more for that. It doesn't have to be in the heart of the city but needs good transport links although I do drive. My work will be in the west end. I am happy to commute up to 45 mins although the quicker the better.

I look forward to your views.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 3:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glasgow - What is it like?

Bournemouth seems a nice place, why not stay there?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/samhaysom/re...ife#.donvqPVkY

For your OP question, see below

Glasgow city of reality — The Official Gateway to Scotland

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hilarywardle...plm#.jrdoGxmP8

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...9101230AAJmRK2

Whats it like in Glasgow?

http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive

Last edited by not2old; Jul 5th 2015 at 3:27 pm. Reason: added a link
Old Jul 7th 2015, 5:38 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Stirling might be worth a look. It's halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh. I've had a nice holiday there but the town centre seemed to have amenities if you were considering living there.

There's nice pubs and villages around too.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Glaswegian. Not sure why Glasgow is getting such bad press , there is good and bad in any city. Glasgow has won the city of culture etc a few times.

The main area I'd suggest living in is the West End, its close enough to the centre but with fab bars, restaurants, pubs etc. The West end attracts a broad mix of people from students to the extremely wealthy.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
I'm a Glaswegian. Not sure why Glasgow is getting such bad press , there is good and bad in any city. Glasgow has won the city of culture etc a few times.

While there is good and bad in any city, Glasgow certainly had more bad than most other places. Not too long ago it was the murder and knife crime capital of Europe, although that seems to be changing a bit:

Glasgow smiles: how the city halved its murders by 'caring people into change' | Cities | The Guardian