Giving up Greencard

Old Nov 14th 2023, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Giving up Greencard

Hello!
It's been a while since I was here with a question and looking back it just shows how things can change.

Last time i was here with questions I was frankly not in the right frame and looking back pretty much feeling a paralysis.
Long story short -2018 husband passed away suddenly and I moved back to the UK. Some of you may recall sharing info with me and I will always be grateful for all the advice - all sensible ( especially the advice to put the all but essential paperwork on hold and deal with the grief)

So - here I am. For pretty much the past 5 years filing tax returns using a US/UK IRS enrolled tax accountant basically treading water til I could get my head together. Feeling much more stable and engaged with my life again. I am now considering it might be time to deal with the greencard and the burdens it holds. It makes no sense to not do it though the Tax accountant has explained because I receive a survivor benefit for life I probably will have to file a non resident tax return to get the tax back but other financial reporting will cease.
My question is probably aimed at people who delayed giving up a greencard as my concern is that it may be an issue as to why I waited ?
Has anyone received extra scrutiny for a delay in giving up a greencard?
Old Nov 14th 2023, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving up Greencard

I don’t have any knowledge of giving up a green card but just wanted to thank you for checking in. Good to hear from you again.
Old Nov 14th 2023, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving up Greencard

Thank you Durham,

Turbulent times are now much calmer. I sent myself down all kinds of rabbit holes and was convinced that if i became a NRA I would lose the survivor benefit I receive from OPM - all the time wondering why it was so difficult to find the information. Eventually it dawned on me i can't find it because it doesn't exist as a policy. I had seen federal employees can lose pension if they renounce but it seemed exclusive to DOD military personnel. Crazy what the mind can think up! Today I discovered the words "sailing permit" - and realised that ship had sailed ( pun intended) and i didn't get one! Hope the fact that I continued to file tax return negates it somewhat.