Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting US candy in the UK.

Wikiposts

Getting US candy in the UK.

Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting US candy in the UK.

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Yep, I am very serious that I much prefer sweets in the US. Only recently got over my Tootsie Roll because my teeth were starting to ache!

In the UK I don't eat sweets that much... in the US I scoff'em!
You wouldn't touch a tootsie roll if you ever visited the factory where they are made ......

I have
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
You wouldn't touch a tootsie roll if you ever visited the factory where they are made ......

I have
Go on, spill the [jelly] beans!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Jakester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
You know Cadbury's is still on the shelf here. I was at Cost Plus World Market yesterday and they have a sign out that the chocolate sold at our store did not have any Chinese ingredients.
It came as a surprise to me the Cadburys was made by Hersheys , the thing with the chinese dried milk was pretty well covered in the media but the warning and removal of Cadburys products i thought was very low key.
Caburys most definately was made with chinese dried milk up until mere weeks ago , the disclaimer your store has is accurate but maybe misleading in that thier chocolates might not have chinese ingrediants now but they did last week.
Which leads me to wonder..if Cadburys is made by Hershey and it had contaminated dried milk..what were they using in the hersheys which had no warnings and remained on the shelf.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jakester
It came as a surprise to me the Cadburys was made by Hersheys , the thing with the chinese dried milk was pretty well covered in the media but the warning and removal of Cadburys products i thought was very low key.
Caburys most definately was made with chinese dried milk up until mere weeks ago , the disclaimer your store has is accurate but maybe misleading in that thier chocolates might not have chinese ingrediants now but they did last week.
Which leads me to wonder..if Cadburys is made by Hershey and it had contaminated dried milk..what were they using in the hersheys which had no warnings and remained on the shelf.
The sign actually said that they had been assured by their supplier that the Cadbury's sold at our store had never been affected, and the ingredients had never come from China. Can't give any more info than that. I will say I did resist in spite of the sign.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a serious post

This country has the most tasteless, bland crap as an excuse for sweets I have ever come across.......... us expats are willing to pay up to $5.00 for a good english bar of chocky. ... I buy Crunchies for $1.50 each and don't begrudge it

I can't eat the shit they call candy here, I will take the kids to buy chocs etc and go without myself if there is nothing british to buy
Yup, I totally agree. Love chocolate, but won't eat 98% of what passes as chocolate here
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a link to back up this assertion? Cadburys claim that only their Chinese-made products had traces of melamine and that Hershey's made Cadburys never used Chinese dried milk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_130219.html
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Yup, I totally agree. Love chocolate, but won't eat 98% of what passes as chocolate here
Would you like some chocolate with your paraffin?
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Pretty confusing for sure , on one hand id like to believe them and the other hand i cant help wondering what affect a total recall on hersheys products might have had on the companys future.
Odd that Cadburys was singled out for recall which most associate with British candy , i was gobsmacked when i read the label and its made right here at Hersheys.
I dont know how anyone can resist a fruit and nut...contaminated or not..lol
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pretty confusing for sure , on one hand id like to believe them and the other hand i cant help wondering what affect a total recall on hersheys products might have had on the companys future.
Odd that Cadburys was singled out for recall which most associate with British candy , i was gobsmacked when i read the label and its made right here at Hersheys.
I dont know how anyone can resist a fruit and nut...contaminated or not..lol
Well we've recently had recalls on tomatos, jalapenos, and other foods. I'm sure if there was a problem that Hershey's would have been recalled as well.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Would you like some chocolate with your paraffin?
Thanks for asking
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:28 am
Just Joined

It'll be in the news archives.Apart from that your saying Cadburys claim the chinese made products had the contaminated dried milk , it was certainly for sale here in the US then and thats the ones removed from the shelf.
Fair dues to Hershey Pa if they didnt use chinese dried milk , Cadburys did.
I didnt get a chance to read where it was made prior to it being removed , when it reappeared i did and its made in the US.
I can see now that wasnt always the case.And to think i always promoted cadburys as one of the best..not anymore, made in China indeed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Do you have a link to back up this assertion? Cadburys claim that only their Chinese-made products had traces of melamine and that Hershey's made Cadburys never used Chinese dried milk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_130219.html
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be in the news archives.Apart from that your saying Cadburys claim the chinese made products had the contaminated dried milk , it was certainly for sale here in the US then and thats the ones removed from the shelf.
Fair dues to Hershey Pa if they didnt use chinese dried milk , Cadburys did.
I didnt get a chance to read where it was made prior to it being removed , when it reappeared i did and its made in the US.
I can see now that wasnt always the case.And to think i always promoted cadburys as one of the best..not anymore, made in China indeed
I think you're confused about where licensed products are produced and where the ingredients come from to go to each of those different licensees.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:19 am
Just Joined

atlanta yorkie will become famous soon enoughatlanta yorkie will become famous soon enough

Is this a serious post

This country has the most tasteless, bland crap as an excuse for sweets I have ever come across.......... us expats are willing to pay up to $5.00 for a good english bar of chocky. ... I buy Crunchies for $1.50 each and don't begrudge it

I can't eat the shit they call candy here, I will take the kids to buy chocs etc and go without myself if there is nothing british to buy

Totally agree, i have to have regular shipments of genuine fizzy cola bottles and bassetts sherbert lemons smuggled in.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atlanta yorkie
Totally agree, i have to have regular shipments of genuine fizzy cola bottles and bassetts sherbert lemons smuggled in.
But they are even worse!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think you're confused about where licensed products are produced and where the ingredients come from to go to each of those different licensees.
I've always found proper imported Cadburys (made in Bourneville) turning up here and there. Tasted totally different to the Cadburys made under licence by Hersheys, which is what I assume is what's being discussed in terms of tainted ingredients.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.