Getting to UK

Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:30 am
Just Joined

linda luikart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting to UK

I am trying to move back to the UK this year and am hoping somebody will be able to answer my question. I am paraplegic and in a wheelchair and I wondered if anybody else has found a comfortable way of travelling to the UK in this condition. I assume that flying is the only way as I live in California but I cannot travel tourist or premium as I have to be able to lie down. A friend suggested going by cruise ship but as far as I know they only leave from New York, not Long Beach. I would be grateful for any suggestions on this and any other advice regards getting to my destination when I arrive as my companion does not want to drive in England!

Last edited by linda luikart; Mar 30th 2010 at 1:35 am.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:07 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting to UK

Originally Posted by linda luikart
I am trying to move back to the UK this year and am hoping somebody will be able to answer my question. I am paraplegic and in a wheelchair and I wondered if anybody else has found a comfortable way of travelling to the UK in this condition. I assume that flying is the only way as I live in California but I cannot travel tourist or premium as I have to be able to lie down. A friend suggested going by cruise ship but as far as I know they only leave from New York, not Long Beach. I would be grateful for any suggestions on this and any other advice regards getting to my destination when I arrive as my companion does not want to drive in England!
I don't have any direct experience to offer, but I do know that there are some really good travel agents about who will assist in finding solutions to a multitude of travel problems.

I'd have a look for some reputable agents and perhaps contact airline carriers as well as shipping lines to find out just what is reasonably available. Also, check out the actual in flight hours from your point of departure to the UK. You may find that a total travel time of around eight to ten hours do-able.

Another idea could be to check out the Queen Mary which , though it sails from New York (last I heard), may offer a reasonable solution - though obviously, it would mean either driving or flying from home to get there.

All things are possible with a bit of determination. Good luck - and let us know how you get on.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Contact our very own Cindyabs she's arranged travel for many BE'ers...she may be able to help you.

You will have to make 3 posts before you can use BE's Private Messaging...although you could contact her via email.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Thank you Wub and Jersey Girl. Your replies were very helpful and I will be looking into your suggestions. I am so glad I found this site as it has been great to have my questions answered without even having to ask them, although I do have more questions so lots of postings to come!

Last edited by linda luikart; Mar 31st 2010 at 2:06 am.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Wubs and Jersey Girl. Your replies were very helpful and I will be looking into your suggestions. I am so glad I found this site as it has been great to have my questions answered without even having to ask them, although I do have more questions so lots of postings to come!
Welcome to BE. I see you're living in the US...so why don't you come and join us in the US Forums?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:26 am
Just Joined

How do I do that? Also another question, why does the time I post show 1 hour earlier than California? My last reply showed 6p.m. but it was 7p.m. here.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

How do I do that?
Click on this...it will take you to the index page for the US forums.

There are 4 US forums...US Immigration and Visas , Marriage Based Visas, Trailer Park and the US forum.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you Jersey Girl. I took a quick look but it appears that it is more geared to people who are either moving to the USA or ones who already live here. As I am moving back to the UK this year it seems that the other site is more helpful - or am I missing something?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 2:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you Jersey Girl. I took a quick look but it appears that it is more geared to people who are either moving to the USA or ones who already live here. As I am moving back to the UK this year it seems that the other site is more helpful - or am I missing something?
No you're not missing anything. I thought if you were at a loose end you may be interested in what folk have to say about life in the US.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 1:35 am
Just Joined

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but I have been living in Santa Barbara for 30 years and since becoming disabled I am nearly at the end of my savings so the best option is to return to England where I have family and a house and a large circle of friends. Most of my English friends here have moved to another country or State so I am losing my support group, whereas in the UK their is support from the local Council as well as friends and family. You probably didn't need to know all this so sorry if I bored you, but thank you for your advice.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 3:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but I have been living in Santa Barbara for 30 years and since becoming disabled I am nearly at the end of my savings so the best option is to return to England where I have family and a house and a large circle of friends. Most of my English friends here have moved to another country or State so I am losing my support group, whereas in the UK their is support from the local Council as well as friends and family. You probably didn't need to know all this so sorry if I bored you, but thank you for your advice.

You didn't bore me at all. In fact US vs UK healthcare and social services is a topic that is frequently discussed in the US forum. Many of us who post in there are well aware that as we get older we will probably have to return to the UK. We are lucky...at least we have that option.

My mother was disabled for several years...therefore I am aware of the superb care provided in the UK.