Getting rid of stuff

Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:55 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting rid of stuff

I thought I'd ask the US peeps here to see if anyone has done this. I am in the process of selling/sorting what stuff I'll be parting with or taking with me to the UK next month, and I have managed to get rid of some things on Ebay, but I'm having a little trouble shifting some large furniture items.

I had thought of donating what I can't sell to a charity shop, but these items were quite expensive and they're only about 1 year old. There's a couch/loveseat set, bedroom suite, coffee/end table set, and I'll also be getting rid of my PC now, as I've been given the most awesome notebook computer and it pees all over the PC for my gaming.

Anyway, what should I do with this stuff? I need every dime I can get for my move so I'm reluctant to donate all of it, as I believe I can't list it all on my tax return for 2007 as it will be donated in 2008. Can anyone clarify this? I also don't know if I have to wait for them to sell it in their store or what-not to get a receipt for what I give, as that's what happened with a car we donated a few years ago. It was months before we got a dollar amount to include on our return.

I've tried leaving adverts in the laundry buildings where I live, but not one single bite. I don't know of any stores locally that allow you to put up notices, otherwise I'd do that and I'm scared by how much a newspaper ad would cost. If this stuff wasn't worth anything, I'd gladly give it away just to get rid of it, but I was hoping to get a bit of extra cushioning cash for my move so I didn't have to leap into the first job (possibly crap) job that comes along just because I needed the money.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting rid of stuff

Hi Kate

have you tried Craig's List Or Kijiji?

http://www.kijiji.com/
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Try the local newspaper for a small ad to sell off the furniture. Put a price on what you want for it before people come. Also try the pennysaver if you have one down there. Craiglist isn't bad either.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate,

Wow - it's next month for you now? Last time I was on here you had just moved into a smaller place and were on your six-month countdown. How is everything going? How's the pooch and the quarantine going?

Just to let you know, we've all (cats and me) settled in here brilliantly, like the trip never happened. They are now seriously British Siamese cats and have suddenly developed a liking for English organic cat food!! Shoot, it's expensive. Now we just need to get hubby and dog over.

Re. the selling/sorting of furniture. Do you have access to a good quality consignment store? I sold a dining table and chairs before I left, and we'll probably use the same place again when my husband makes his way over. The stores take about 40%, but since they mark it up pretty high you still make a decent amount of money.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the move. I'm so excited for you. It was definitely the best thing I've done in a long time. Hubby came over this weekend, and we went to the park, strolled around a ruined abbey, visited Warwick castle, had great Indian and a terrific pub lunch. Sheer bliss.

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I thought I'd ask the US peeps here to see if anyone has done this. I am in the process of selling/sorting what stuff I'll be parting with or taking with me to the UK next month, and I have managed to get rid of some things on Ebay, but I'm having a little trouble shifting some large furniture items.

I had thought of donating what I can't sell to a charity shop, but these items were quite expensive and they're only about 1 year old. There's a couch/loveseat set, bedroom suite, coffee/end table set, and I'll also be getting rid of my PC now, as I've been given the most awesome notebook computer and it pees all over the PC for my gaming.

Anyway, what should I do with this stuff? I need every dime I can get for my move so I'm reluctant to donate all of it, as I believe I can't list it all on my tax return for 2007 as it will be donated in 2008. Can anyone clarify this? I also don't know if I have to wait for them to sell it in their store or what-not to get a receipt for what I give, as that's what happened with a car we donated a few years ago. It was months before we got a dollar amount to include on our return.

I've tried leaving adverts in the laundry buildings where I live, but not one single bite. I don't know of any stores locally that allow you to put up notices, otherwise I'd do that and I'm scared by how much a newspaper ad would cost. If this stuff wasn't worth anything, I'd gladly give it away just to get rid of it, but I was hoping to get a bit of extra cushioning cash for my move so I didn't have to leap into the first job (possibly crap) job that comes along just because I needed the money.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:29 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Thank to all for your replies. Put a listing on Craigslist for now so fingers crossed!

Tara, I had thought of consignment shops, but I was worried it'd take forever to sell and it might get complicated if it's still not sold after I leave. I know I run that risk with private adverts as well, but that way it's still in my possession so I can do with it what I like. Good suggestion, though, and thanks!