Reload this Page >

Getting Married in the UK query

Getting Married in the UK query

Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

Cpt.Melvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Getting Married in the UK query

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/knowledge about the process of applying for a marriage visitor visa/giving notice of your intention to marry in the UK? I am an American citizen and my fiancé is British. We are not intending to settle in the UK, we were just hoping on having the wedding there, and then I would return to the US and apply for him to come over as my spouse. The info that I have found is very confusing to me, but basically from what I understand, I have to have the marriage visitor visa in order to give notice of the marriage, which is required at least 28 days before the wedding. I also have to be living in the place we give notice for at least 7 days prior to being able to give notice at the register’s office. So, does this mean I would have to come over at least 35 days before the wedding? I’ve also heard that if they have suspicions about you, the process could be extended from 28 to 70 days. I guess I’m just not sure how we can possibly plan a wedding there with that uncertainty. We are planning for the summer of 2020, and we’re hoping to be able to have our wedding in late June. I’m in graduate school and won’t finish until early June of 2020, so if I have to come over 35 days at least before the wedding, there’s no way we can have our wedding in June. Has anyone gone through this process or could give us advice on what to do? We are really set on having our wedding in the UK and we were so close to choosing a venue until we hit this snag.

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Married in the UK query

Your summary/ understanding is substantially correct - they don't make it easy for you.

​​​​​​​Which is why people often get legally married in a "courthouse ceremony" in the US, where you can pretty much roll up and get married as soon as you have the marriage license. I think the most restrictive state makes you wait three days. ... Then follow up with a "blessing" in the UK. Whether you tell anyone that the ceremony is "just a celebration" or not, is your call.
Old Jan 10th 2019, 8:55 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your summary/ understanding is substantially correct - they don't make it easy for you.

Which is why people often get legally married in a "courthouse ceremony" in the US, where you can pretty much roll up and get married as soon as you have the marriage license. I think the most restrictive state makes you wait three days. ... Then follow up with a "blessing" in the UK. Whether you tell anyone that the ceremony is "just a celebration" or not, is your call.
That's pretty much what we're doing. A simple registry office marriage here in Australia then a "wedding" in the UK later. The ceremony is the same, it's just missing the legalities required if it was a marriage ceremony and not a blessing/vow renewal .
Old Jan 11th 2019, 12:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The marriage visitor visa is valid for six months. Although you have to give notice of at least 28 days, you don’t have to remain in the UK. You can come over for a week to give notice, return to the US and then return again for the actual wedding.