Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting kids in to High School ....

Getting kids in to High School ....

Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting kids in to High School ....

If you return to the UK with kids of high school / comprehensive age (whatever you call it!) - do you have any choice to where they go ?

I know the issue of 'choice' is a misnomer anyway, but we like to think we do have some element of choice, don't we ?

Surely, by the time you get there, all the 'good' schools are full, and have waiting lists. I presume the Education Authority can and will only offer you a place at the nearest school with a space? Which, in turn, I take, could mean one of the least favourable schools in the area !!

I've scanned the Education Authority website, but could not see anything specific about this .... anyone got any experience on this please ?

Thanks ....
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Hamsterhouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting kids in to High School ....

Your assumptions are pretty much correct. Good secondary schools are well oversubscribed with long waiting lists. The ones with vacancies tend to be the not so good ones.

There is a very good website forum called Parents Centre which is worth checking out - link below. There are lots of experts in the admissions field and from schools who contribute and answer questions.

There are a number of people coming back to the UK from abroad. They tend to post under 'school admissions' but there is also a section about going into UK schooling. If you post there with a fuller picture of what you are looking to do (kids ages etc) I am sure someone will be able to offer advice.

http://www.parentscentre.gov.uk/forum/
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Hamsterhouse - I will take a look.

It puts a little pressure on us timewise then. If I wanted any element of choice, the forms would need to be submitted by the end of this October, for the Sept 09 entry - otherwise, I suspect, we will get what we're given ....

Not anywhere near making this decision - just sounding out some ideas .... and this was one of the more important ones ....

thanks again - and anyone else with experience of this, your input would be greatly appreciated ....
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Thank you Hamsterhouse - I will take a look.

It puts a little pressure on us timewise then. If I wanted any element of choice, the forms would need to be submitted by the end of this October, for the Sept 09 entry - otherwise, I suspect, we will get what we're given ....

Not anywhere near making this decision - just sounding out some ideas .... and this was one of the more important ones ....

thanks again - and anyone else with experience of this, your input would be greatly appreciated ....
Are you heading back ann m??
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Are you heading back ann m??
My thoughts too?

As far as I am aware, schools have emergency vacancies for children/young people who have recently moved into the catchment area. Maybe you could phone the particular school you are interested in and ask them what their policy is?

Rosie
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My husband is seriously considering it - and I am trying to ignore him

But in all seriousness, if push comes to shove, it is a real option. So my 10 year old, if she was in a UK Year 5 now, would need to submit the high school application this October ... even if we did not head back that quickly, I kinda know where we'd end up going, and the local high school is pretty poor. All food for thought.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

But in all seriousness, if push comes to shove, it is a real option. So my 10 year old, if she was in a UK Year 5 now, would need to submit the high school application this October ... even if we did not head back that quickly, I kinda know where we'd end up going, and the local high school is pretty poor. All food for thought.

Oh dear, that's a hard 1 to call, I don't know if you've made a joint decision about the area you will return to? but if he is serious about coming back to the UK IMO I would be digging my heels in and looking at catchment areas for decent high schools.

But, my kids all went to the same high school, over a space of 6 years. When our younger 2 were in year 10, the LEA had a big shake up, and I can honestly say their last year was the worst year we had ever had to cope with. The school went from being in the top 10 achieving high schools to a school that was put on special measures after an OFSTED report!
I suppose what I'm trying to say is, what looks like a good school now ie high achieving and over subscribed by approx 200 pupils per year, can change within months.

Good Luck in whatever you decide

Rosie
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I wondered ann, i've seen you post on here a few times, but then i've been on here reading posts too soo..........

A friend of mine is headed back to the UK and it's unsettled me a little.
I keep looking on here, i don't know what for but i didn't enjoy Christmas very much and i've got my birthday coming up (a milestone one) and i would dearly love to go back and spend it with my family and friends. Truth is we can't afford the flights, there's 5 of us.

All in all i'm a bit unsettled at the moment, i haven't told OH as we seem to go up and down in waves (though not at the same time) and he's quite happy at the mo, as i'm sure i'll be when everything's died down a bit.

I know you've said before that your OH is unhappy at work, is that still an issue? That's one of the reasons my friends are going back.

Hope it all works out well for you, i seem to remember you have a trip back to the UK soon, am i right. If so have a good one.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Getting kids in to High School ....

Hi Ann

If I can be of any help what so ever please let me know. Even if we can send the men off skiing for a weekend, that would be fine with me.

Failling that if you need a break and just fancy a night, just hanging some girls (I can definitely put a plan into action).

But above all please dont feel alone on the big decision that needs to be made and know that there are people out there that can be a good sounding board for your decisions.

Take care and without a doubt, my the best wishes.

Mel.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
I wondered ann, i've seen you post on here a few times, but then i've been on here reading posts too soo..........

A friend of mine is headed back to the UK and it's unsettled me a little.
I keep looking on here, i don't know what for but i didn't enjoy Christmas very much and i've got my birthday coming up (a milestone one) and i would dearly love to go back and spend it with my family and friends. Truth is we can't afford the flights, there's 5 of us.

All in all i'm a bit unsettled at the moment, i haven't told OH as we seem to go up and down in waves (though not at the same time) and he's quite happy at the mo, as i'm sure i'll be when everything's died down a bit.

I know you've said before that your OH is unhappy at work, is that still an issue? That's one of the reasons my friends are going back.

Hope it all works out well for you, i seem to remember you have a trip back to the UK soon, am i right. If so have a good one.
Just out of interest, how long have you been in Canada Joelsa?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smelly
Just out of interest, how long have you been in Canada Joelsa?
Since Sept "06
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joelsa
Since Sept "06

Yep, I am not to far infront of you, we landed June 06.

Are you ok? You sounded a little unsettled.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

In your case I would consider to go were there are still grammar schools..if your kid is good in school they have to give you a space...Buckinghamshire still has the system.

We had the same problem when we came here 2 years ago... came in may and she needed a space in the summer.
All the good schools were full and she was on waiting list nr. 39..but we were lucky and they gave her a space anyhow..she is a very good student and the school is the best here in Hillingdon and nr. 18 in the top state schools in england with 90% GCSA results...you can get lucky..and you need to push a bit
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

If you return to the UK with kids of high school / comprehensive age (whatever you call it!) - do you have any choice to where they go ?

I know the issue of 'choice' is a misnomer anyway, but we like to think we do have some element of choice, don't we ?

Surely, by the time you get there, all the 'good' schools are full, and have waiting lists. I presume the Education Authority can and will only offer you a place at the nearest school with a space? Which, in turn, I take, could mean one of the least favourable schools in the area !!

I've scanned the Education Authority website, but could not see anything specific about this .... anyone got any experience on this please ?

Thanks ....
can only speak from our experience but we returned from canada in july last year,sorted out a rental in september and got our eldest into the high school a week later and the 2 little ones in the primary school at the same time.Depends where you live as to whether or not the "good" schools are full, the schools are excellent here and small.We were told that by law,if you are in the catchment area they have to get you in.
Where are you heading back to?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

We were told that by law,if you are in the catchment area they have to get you in
That only truth if there is only one school..if there is a good and a bad one..like here...bad luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.