Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting kids back in school?

Getting kids back in school?

Old Jun 21st 2015, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting kids back in school?

WE move back in a little over a week. We will be back into our old village and house 2 weeks before the end of the UK term. Do we need to put the kids back into school for those 2 weeks?

They completed the full year here in the USA so I am thinking no need but it would be good to know for sure.

Googling the question provides less than comprehensive answers.

Thanks, JD
Old Jun 21st 2015, 2:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting kids back in school?

If you are assuming residential status, I would say "yes", your children should be in school if school is in session when you arrive.

IMO the two weeks will also be good icebreaking opportunity for your children to settle back in and reconnect with friends, and will ensure that they are ready to hit the ground running when they return for the new school year in September.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 21st 2015 at 3:40 am.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. We've emailed the schools to see what they say. If they have no issues with it that's exactly we'll do.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 9:13 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived back in the UK with about a week left and didn't put our child in school.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it would be a problem if your children didn't attend school for those two weeks. The laws aren't that strict. If they were already attending a school and 'in the system' things would be different, but I would be very surprised if there were any repercussions from waiting until September.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

We have moved back and are not putting kids in school, my aunt who worked as a school admin said it would take three weeks to process anyway. My kids did the full year in Canada anyway.

Thanks
Old Jun 27th 2015, 6:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I would be nice for them to visit and spend a few days in the school. Get to know other local children, people that they might find themselves playing with over the summer holidays.
We arrived 2 days after the school year started, school did the paperwork in a day and I took Dd uniform shopping for a day so she started on a friday, She only missed a few days but it was still hard, she didn't know anyone or where anything was bless her.
She's on the end of her second year there now and going gangbusters.
Old Jun 29th 2015, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Having spoken to our littles school today they said it is up to us whether we put them in for this last two weeks....kids really dont want to, I thought it might help them make some friends???
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:05 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Having spoken to our littles school today they said it is up to us whether we put them in for this last two weeks....kids really dont want to, I thought it might help them make some friends???
How old are the kids?
We didn't put my child in school for the last few days of term but we knocked on a couple of neighbours doors and asked where kids were locally. We then knocked and introduced ourselves so that she had someone to play with during the summer holidays.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

I would wait until September, when everyone's back from the long break and 'bonding' again. I think it's easier for kids to make friends then, especially as there will probably be other new children who have moved into the area, some children who have left etc. If the kids don't want to go I wouldn't push them.