Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting kids back into the UK school system

Getting kids back into the UK school system

Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

peteanclare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting kids back into the UK school system

We have been living in the US for 5 years and are returning to the UK this summer (Farnham area). Our kids are 6 and 8. So far all the state schools I've contacted have no places available. Anyone got any advice on how to get into a good school?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice
Default Re: Getting kids back into the UK school system

I'm pretty certain you won't be able to until you know your address in UK and the school can confirm it with you...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/8071628.stm
Remember it's nearly kick out for the summer - so there maybe more places next year in Sept.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to accept that as returning citizens from overseas, you're at the back of the line for any good school.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

sunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant futuresunnyskies has a brilliant future

We are returning to Surrey in a couple of weeks after 3 years in Australia.

School places for our two girls (9 and 11) have been the biggest issue for us, I've had a lot of lost sleep over it!

We kept our British home, which allowed us to apply for year 7 place for our eldest daughter for this September. Applied last October, were informed of the place in March. Hell of a long wait, but is the same for everyone applying for year 7.

However, we have ended up having to get a private school place for our younger daughter for year 6 as it was the only way to be sure of a decent school. Still had to put her on a few waiting lists, then got two offers of a place and my UK neighbour kindly toured both schools and gave us feed back.

Every state school I approached was full, (apart from one that I wouldn't send her to for various reasons) and she was placed on waiting lists.
They did say that they are only able to do this if you have a home in the area, and that once a place was available they can only hold it for for a maximum of six weeks.

good luck with your move, hope you find a good school.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peteanclare
We have been living in the US for 5 years and are returning to the UK this summer (Farnham area). Our kids are 6 and 8. So far all the state schools I've contacted have no places available. Anyone got any advice on how to get into a good school?
we had the same problem...couldnt apply for a school til we had a UK address, then if they had places etc etc etc so it was just a cse of finding a school that did have places. At least I could contaact all the school via phone/email before we came back which saved a lot of time

Luckily (at the moment) our son is doing ok but its hit and miss

do you have family or friends in the area you are moving to ? you could use their address
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by spain
do you have family or friends in the area you are moving to ? you could use their address
As per my link - that's fraud and although *very very* unlikely, you may risk prosecution and be careful, the best schools are wise to this tactic although most people seem to slip through and manage it. School places is a big mess even when living in the UK, I changed schools in yr 10 I think in October (so it was close to the start of the new school year) and there was only one in my borough that could take me but luckily that was a good school and they managed it at very short notice (literally a week or so). So if you persevere, hopefully you'll get lucky like I did

Best of luck
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

It is possible to appeal against a decision not to admit your child to their nearest school, but you must have a good reason.

A friend of mine appealed after 2 of her kids were given places at her local school due to spaces being available, but the third child was refused because the class was over subscribed. She immediately enrolled the 2 kids in the school and then a day after they'd started, she submitted an appeal based on the fact that 2 of her kids already went to the school - the appeal was successful and the youngest was enrolled a few weeks later.