Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Getting A Job in the UK while in Canada

Getting A Job in the UK while in Canada

Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Madge_MR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting A Job in the UK while in Canada

My husband is going back to the UK next week to look for work. He's an electrician and has been unemployed since we came to Canada 2 years ago. We've decided enough is enough and we have to cut our losses and go back.

I am employed in a good full-time, permanent job in a healthcare admin setting. I will be staying here with our children until he finds work and we have enough saved up to ship our personal things back and start over there.

Ideally I would like to find work over there before going back with our two small children. The one mistake we made coming here was assuming we would find work and it would all pan out. It did for me, but not my husband, and so now we are forced to return. I'm nervous to just give up a full-time, permanent position, to just fly back to no job.

I am interested in working for the NHS and so would like to apply, but am not confident that they would consider my application, since I'm based in Canada.

Anyone have experience applying overseas and how realistic the concept is? If so, what is the best way to do it?

All thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited by Madge_MR; Jan 8th 2012 at 6:52 am.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 3:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting A Job in the UK while in Canada

All you can do is apply and cross your fingers.
Maybe try signing up with an agency as soon as you get back and doing that till you can get in with the NHS in your area.
You Dh will have better luck once in the UK thats for sure, he can find something while there next week, Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madge_MR
My husband is going back to the UK next week to look for work. He's an electrician and has been unemployed since we came to Canada 2 years ago. We've decided enough is enough and we have to cut our losses and go back.

I am employed in a good full-time, permanent job in a healthcare admin setting. I will be staying here with our children until he finds work and we have enough saved up to ship our personal things back and start over there.

Ideally I would like to find work over there before going back with our two small children. The one mistake we made coming here was assuming we would find work and it would all pan out. It did for me, but not my husband, and so now we are forced to return. I'm nervous to just give up a full-time, permanent position, to just fly back to no job.

I am interested in working for the NHS and so would like to apply, but am not confident that they would consider my application, since I'm based in Canada.

Anyone have experience applying overseas and how realistic the concept is? If so, what is the best way to do it?

All thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.
The NHS has a website and probably has career opportunities posted on it.
I suppose where you get a job will depend on where your husband finds work. I'd start looking on the web for agencies, NHS websites, medical company websites etc.

If you don't try you won't find out what is out there.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

I have just read your story and it's saddens me that this is happening to your family. I am also in a similar situation and on the verge of moving back. I have never achieve the job or lifestyle that I had in the UK, so enough is enough. ( over 3 years)

I wish you luck and will stay connected with you to see how you get on.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond reputeJack1 has a reputation beyond repute

You are in a completely different field of work than I am so I can't say how it is for the NHS but it's certainly possible in some fields. I recently got a job in the UK while still in Canada. I got the job offer mid Novemeber 2011 and had moved to the UK by the end of December ready to start work on the first working day in January. I've been here in London about three weeks now after 12 plus years in the Toronto area.

It's funny how everyone's reasons for moving are so differerent. I was very comfortable in Canada but yes the jobs field was unexciting. I only moved back because I got a job offer in an area I'm much more interested in and also I had always wanted to try living in the UK as an adult because I moved over to Canada with parents in my late teens.

Are you sure the UK can offer you a better life? I am finding it extremely expensive here and I cannot image at this time that I would be better off than I was in Canada even after a few years. The main problems appears to be that the properties here are very low quality but premium priced. I'm renting for now until I know I'm staying permanently which I will decided in about a year but it will be a big issue when I have to think about it. I have got an expensive flat but it's still got endless problems. Also, since I've been away so long I've experienced quite the reverse culture shock. I have become quite used to the North American ways but I am adjusting now and that should be ok soon.

Definitely take a trip back before you go through the even bigger expense of moving back. That said I do feel bad for your husband, two years is a long time.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jack1
You are in a completely different field of work than I am so I can't say how it is for the NHS but it's certainly possible in some fields. I recently got a job in the UK while still in Canada. I got the job offer mid Novemeber 2011 and had moved to the UK by the end of December ready to start work on the first working day in January. I've been here in London about three weeks now after 12 plus years in the Toronto area.

It's funny how everyone's reasons for moving are so differerent. I was very comfortable in Canada but yes the jobs field was unexciting. I only moved back because I got a job offer in an area I'm much more interested in and also I had always wanted to try living in the UK as an adult because I moved over to Canada with parents in my late teens.

Are you sure the UK can offer you a better life? I am finding it extremely expensive here and I cannot image at this time that I would be better off than I was in Canada even after a few years. The main problems appears to be that the properties here are very low quality but premium priced. I'm renting for now until I know I'm staying permanently which I will decided in about a year but it will be a big issue when I have to think about it. I have got an expensive flat but it's still got endless problems. Also, since I've been away so long I've experienced quite the reverse culture shock. I have become quite used to the North American ways but I am adjusting now and that should be ok soon.

Definitely take a trip back before you go through the even bigger expense of moving back. That said I do feel bad for your husband, two years is a long time.

Jack1

London is more expensive than the rest of the UK, however f & f are telling me that things are become more expensive ie food, fuel & energy bills etc.

Good luck
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2UK
Jack1

London is more expensive than the rest of the UK, however f & f are telling me that things are become more expensive ie food, fuel & energy bills etc.

Good luck
My parents tell me that just before telling me about another bargain holiday which they have just booked, some nice booze which they found in the supermarket and the new deal just offered to them by their mobile phone provider.

My guess is that for most people, it would probably work out about the same. I don't know about anyone else but we have just learned to live with things here and also live without some of the comforts which we took for granted in the UK. The UK is probably the more comfortable and easy country in which to live and succeed.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
My parents tell me that just before telling me about another bargain holiday which they have just booked, some nice booze which they found in the supermarket and the new deal just offered to them by their mobile phone provider.

My guess is that for most people, it would probably work out about the same. I don't know about anyone else but we have just learned to live with things here and also live without some of the comforts which we took for granted in the UK. The UK is probably the more comfortable and easy country in which to live and succeed.
That is very true DG, I really do miss my travelling to Europe etc. I have realized now that I had never appreciated the UK enough, ie the sights, public transport, airlines, supermarkets, soya products, cheap quality wine and most of all I miss UK music. I have adapted to Canadian life and I am not materialistic like I was, however I do miss my work.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2UK
That is very true DG, I really do miss my travelling to Europe etc. I have realized now that I had never appreciated the UK enough, ie the sights, public transport, airlines, supermarkets, soya products, cheap quality wine and most of all I miss UK music. I have adapted to Canadian life and I am not materialistic like I was, however I do miss my work.
I am definitely less materialistic over here, I seldom buy anything because there really isn't very much to buy and I seldom travel anywhere because there isn't much locally to see that I haven't already and to travel anywhere further than your locality either requires jumping through a ton of hoops or spending a small fortune.

I wouldn't really want to settle here if I am completely honest and right now I am torn between either returning home indefinitely or relocating to Asia.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:06 am
Just Joined

graphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant futuregraphicsgal has a brilliant future

I'm so sorry to hear your story. We have had a really bad year oursleves in the US and I have now called it quits after 22+ years. We lost our house to short sale, had the neighbors from deeper than hell and the authorities would not help us. I was assaulted by my co preschool teacher in September, and suffered injuries to my sternum. She got off with a probation and community service and I lost my job, L & I are refusing to pay me for my injuries, I've had to hire two lawyers and I've been out of work since September, and have finally had enough. My husband is US citizen, while the rest of us are dual. He has applied for jobs through head hunters but they all said the same thing...come and see us when you get here in the UK. I have a couple of friends who work in the NHS and have been laid off from work a few times but always seem to be back in work within a couple of months. In fact they never seemed to worry about being out of work as they knew they could find work. I know I will have a culture shock when I go back, but my Dad and brother are not doing well health wise. In 2006 when I thought about moving back I looked around my house and thought about all the stuff I just couldnt live without. Now after so much has happened, it's just stuff. I think that sometimes we go through things that give us a different perspective and we see what is really important. I wish my leaving was on a differnet level, but I've been talking about moving back for 5 years I guess it just takes certain things to kick our butts into making that decision. I think you will be ok and from what my husband has seen there seems to be plenty of jobs in the healthcare system in the UK.
All the best
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

I've been applying for NHS jobs for the past 6 months, been offered many interviews but only 1 telephone interview. They only want to see you in person. This has now delayed our departure as we can't both afford to not be working, so we're saving with the intention of being out of work for a couple of months.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jack1

The main problems appears to be that the properties here are very low quality but premium priced. I'm renting for now until I know I'm staying permanently which I will decided in about a year but it will be a big issue when I have to think about it. I have got an expensive flat but it's still got endless problems. Also, since I've been away so long I've experienced quite the reverse culture shock. I have become quite used to the North American ways but I am adjusting now and that should be ok soon.

Definitely take a trip back before you go through the even bigger expense of moving back.
I think I will experience the reverse culture shock in addition to many of the things you mentioned when I move back