General Advice

Old Dec 10th 2019, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

JacquiRob is on a distinguished road
Default General Advice

We have been in NZ for 13 years now. Hubby has two sickly aged parents and we were thinking of returning to the UK. I am over 65 he is 62. I am in receipt of a New Zealand pension and hubby is still working. What would happen about me claiming UK pension and how difficult is it going to be for hubby to get work at his age, we would be very limited on property we could afford to purchase which would make choice of area limited to some extent. I have been very homesick for sometime now but I am thinking at our age going home will not be easy or even an option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have very little savings which would not go far in the UK.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Advice

If you are in receipt of a NZ state pension then you sould be able to receive it in the UK. For a private pension you might be able to get that too in the UK.

What you might receive for a UK State pension would depend on how many years you paid into the State pension when you worked in the UK. You would need to contact the Pensions Authority to find out if you can claim anything.

How difficult it will be for hubby to get a job is anyone's guess. What is his profession? If not able to get a good post in his chosen profession, would he be prepared to take something less/different?
Old Dec 10th 2019, 9:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Have you worked whilst in New Zealand?

I hear you entirely. I am 65 and my husband is 60. I wish to make a UK return simply because NZ is not a good fit for me. However I am unsure of the wisdom of us returning. The old emotion v common sense perhaps.

Someone put me onto this site where you can both check about your UK state pension entitlements. It may be possible for you both to top up the credits if there is a shortfall and I know NZ does have a reciprocal agreement so your NZ working years may count towards UK credits.

Click the link to the UK Govt 'check your pension'.

You will need to register to use the service but once in it is very useful.

I used our current UK passports , my NZ mobile phone and our NI numbers + dob etc to register through the Govt Gateway service.

(link kindly given by Steerpike on another thread)
Old Dec 10th 2019, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

I have done part time work in NZ and been self employed for 6 years.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JacquiRob
I have done part time work in NZ and been self employed for 6 years.

So what is the NZ pension you are now receiving?

How long did you work for in the UK before leaving for NZ?
Old Dec 10th 2019, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

I receive the standard NZ superannuation and I did work in the UK before we left. Full time for quite a few years.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:14 am
`

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
So what is the NZ pension you are now receiving?

How long did you work for in the UK before leaving for NZ?
It will be the NZ superannuation = state pension. That cannot be received in the UK.

Here in NZ you can swap your UK state pension for the NZ superannuation if you so wish. NZ will claw back from the UK state pension in its entirety. What you cannot do is have both. That is because the NZ superannuation scheme is not work credit based.

When you reside in the United Kingdom, you can't be paid New Zealand Superannuation: these payments will stop from the day after you leave New Zealand. You may qualify for United Kingdom benefits or pensions under the agreement.
- and that is why both of them need to check their UK credits with this and then go on to check if they can top up either by paying $$ or by paying $$ + accredited credits for time worked in the UK. For Jacqui, it will depend on her age and whether she has already passed the UK state pension age or not..

I have not worked in NZ really so I am short by 3 years for a full UK state pension. I would need to pay the top up.
Mr BEVS will also be short as is 5 years younger than me but has worked full time in NZ since arriving so his years of full time work here should go towards helping to make up the UK shortfall for a full UK state pension.

I have written to the UK for help with the process and to ensure I am clear. I need to top up before my UK state pension age kicks in etc.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the info about the NZ superannuation scheme.

So this is the non contributory scheme?

There is also the KiwiSaver scheme - which both employee and employer can contribute to - correct?
Old Dec 11th 2019, 1:01 am
`

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Thanks for the info about the NZ superannuation scheme.

So this is the non contributory scheme?
Yes. That is the NZ superannuation or state pension.

There is also the KiwiSaver scheme - which both employee and employer can contribute to - correct?
There is. That is more a savings scheme in a way. They can withdraw their kiwifund(s) when they leave NZ sans tax credits. Those will be return to NZ IRD. They will need to prove they are no longer NZ resident.

Old Dec 11th 2019, 7:14 am
Just Joined

I tried this but we no longer have current UK passport so it won’t let me in.
Old Dec 11th 2019, 7:41 am
`

Then this will likely be a phone call.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 1:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports