GCSE

Old May 18th 2011, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

KLChloe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GCSE

We are contemplating a move back to the UK from the US next May. Our eldest will be due to enter Yr 10, our middle to enter Yr 8 and our youngest to enter Yr 3. All three will have been in the US independent school system for 4 years.

I am worried that our Yr 10 boy will be unable to start GCSE's, as he will not have picked options during year 9. Has anyone else been in this situation? Our first choice of school would be the local Grammar school, but neither boy will have sat the 11-plus.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 18th 2011, 9:12 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: GCSE

Originally Posted by KLChloe
We are contemplating a move back to the UK from the US next May. Our eldest will be due to enter Yr 10, our middle to enter Yr 8 and our youngest to enter Yr 3. All three will have been in the US independent school system for 4 years.

I am worried that our Yr 10 boy will be unable to start GCSE's, as he will not have picked options during year 9. Has anyone else been in this situation? Our first choice of school would be the local Grammar school, but neither boy will have sat the 11-plus.

Afraid I cant help you, but I just wanted to wish you all the best, and I am sure someone will be along shortly with some actual real-life expereince.

Though have just thought.. have you tried looking up on the Local Education Authority (LEA) website for the region you are looking to move back to?
Old May 18th 2011, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

KLChloe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! We have lived in the area before, but I am mainly concerned that he will not be able to start GCSE's as he will not be there for Year 9. I have emailed the school, and am waiting for them to get back to me.
Old May 18th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I taught in the UK system for a lot of years. I am pretty certain that he will be able to do his GCSEs (after all, what else would he do?). The issue in Year 9 is one of timetabling everybody`s choices, so that is probably what you and your son will have to grapple with. Good luck, anyway,I hope it all gets sorted out and your kids settle in well and are happy. My subjects are Art and English, so pm me if you want to know anything.
With a grammar school, they may give him some sort of test or just accept his grades from his US school.
Old May 19th 2011, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Bootleg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should be fine Although options are chosen in year 9 the actual 2 year GCSE's don't start until year 10. You may have to fit in with the timetables the school have already drawn up but chances are you will be able to choose all the subjects you would like. Good luck
Old May 21st 2011, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KLChloe

Hi,

We returned with our youngest son who was 16 at the time of our return...just completed a first year of Tee's and started the beginning of his year 12 (in Aus) we either had to wait until he completed year 12 at the end of the year and again would of put us all out of sinc. with all our other plans or come home in time for the UK school year....our son decided straight away though that he wanted to start school in the UK asap....we went to a few
6th forms had interviews and was given great help and advice which made our decision to come home earlier as a parent easier. If your child needs the help High Schools will accommodate them, bring in as much info and work your child has completed from his current education...and have a chat with your child to see if they have any ideas where they want their education to lead them...work wise etc....our youngest is now completing his first year of an advanced Btec worth 2 A levels in Sports and also "doing" 3 GCSE's in English,Science and Maths....and is doing very,very well....good luck