Food at weddings

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:39 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food at weddings

Originally Posted by dbj1000
So my theory is that the bigger and flashier the wedding, the shorter the subsequent marriage.

What do y'all think?
'Tis a vile accuracy, I reckon.

On food, my favourite bar in NYC serves only what the owner describes as "Jewish wedding food". Knishes and such like - smashing.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 7:53 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

we spent all of £4,000 on our white wedding, it was a small affair at the church but we used the majority of the money on the evening do, plenty of food and drink for everyone to have a good knees up..
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
we spent all of £4,000 on our white wedding, it was a small affair at the church but we used the majority of the money on the evening do, plenty of food and drink for everyone to have a good knees up..
Sounds a bit like ours, hubby had done a 'tour' a few months before our wedding, we got married in the UK in a Church, but had friends/rellie's that helped out, BIL drove the wedding party to the Church in his dressed up white car, Step Sis made the cake, friend did the music etc. All paid for with hubby's $3.000 savings from his 'tour'. We spent more on the reception, I had mine and bridesmaids dresses made by a lady in Germany (where we lived) and 23 yrs later, we are planning our re-newal for 2012
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds lovely.

Last wedding we went to was for a cousin, and only because we're family that we got the invite...we only went because we knew it was $100 a head and it'd annoy them

Food weren't bad, but not brill and portions were shite and it took forever, it didn't start till around 9, but when the wedding was at 5, but of a mare...especially when there wasn't any AC and it was 100F and swamp weather out....and we had to fend for ourselves to find a slice of wedding cake.

Still, weren't a bad do and at least we didn't have to spend the night there like some folks did
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

What do you ladies mean by 'evening do'? Do you mean there is an afternoon reception and an evening reception?

In a US wedding all you have is the wedding ceremony and the reception. Depending on the time of day of the ceremony, the reception may be during the day and only lasts a few hours. I wouldn't say there is a 'typical' wedding per se. I've been ones where there is a simple finger food buffet and weddings that weren't buffets, some were open bars, some were no bar at all, and some were cash bars. About the only thing that may be typical are veggies and small appetizers before the main entrees are ready, and champagne toasts. No two wedding cakes seem to be the same - all different flavors and designs.

For our wedding we went away to a small chapel that organized everything except our apparel. We even had a very short 'cake & punch reception' after the ceremony, and then were promptly kicked out so the next couple could get hitched. Our 17 guests (immediate family only) then went out to dinner, which we paid for.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Aug 23rd 2010 at 11:50 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
What do you ladies mean by 'evening do'? Do you mean there is an afternoon reception and an evening reception?
Yes, we had family and close friends to a sit-down meal and then a disco for extra people in the evening.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes, we had family and close friends to a sit-down meal and then a disco for extra people in the evening.
What Sally said. On the other hand we don't have the pre wedding dinner the night before.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What Sally said. On the other hand we don't have the pre wedding dinner the night before.
Yes, traditionally we have the rehearsal dinner the night before (with the closest relatives, wedding party, etc.) and the bigger to-do the next night, after the wedding. Seems to serve the same purpose.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

So whats the food like in a US wedding? do you have traditional staple food that is always served or is each wedding different? can you stereotype weddings from the north or south like we can?..

And whats your best/worst wedding memory, whether it be your own or somebody elses...
They vary dramatically!! I've been to an outdoor wedding that was ultra casual, with music played on a cd followed by food served in a picnic shelter. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding that began with a traditional Vietnamese wedding in CA, followed by all of us going to Las Vegas where the couple had a western wedding at Bellagio, with everyone in formal dress and Elvis showing up at the reception.

I really liked our wedding, actually. We got married in Sedona, Arizona at Tlaquepaque chapel. http://www.tlaq.com/ The chapel held about 40 people, only our closest friends, family, and two longtime co-workers who flew out to join us.

The men wore Mexican wedding shirts and black slacks and my bridesmaids wore sundresses from Ann Taylor Loft. (Everyone was comfy and not out an arm and a leg as a result.)

The reception was held at my parent's house and really was quite special. Because it was not a huge group we were able to really mingle with everyone. My mother made the food and hired caterers to serve/clean up leaving everyone to enjoy themselves.

We also had a brunch reception in Cincinnati afterwards and that was a disappointment in comparison. If I had to do it over again, I'd skip the second reception, but we were trying to host everyone who hadn't come to Arizona.

Another fun wedding I attended was one of my girlfriends. She grew up in the Polish part of town, and all of the food was Polish as were many of the dances, etc. at the reception. Everyone danced around and had to go before the couple and do a shot of whisky (blech!) to wish them luck in the future. It was a very inexpensive wedding but was one of the best I've attended.

Weirdest/worst wedding memory? Hmmm ... I attended a wedding in which the minister had a dangling band-aid hanging off his chin that wobbled as he married the couple, that was a bit off-putting. I also attended a wedding once in one of those new-age churches with plasma tvs ... maybe you know the type ... the bride was chewing gum during the ceremony and that blew my mind.

I do think people blow so much money and get so worked up about weddings sometimes and it's a let down for them when it's over.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
So my theory is that the bigger and flashier the wedding, the shorter the subsequent marriage.

What do y'all think?
I know it's trendy to slag off big weddings these days, but I don't necessarily agree.

I had what most people would consider a big wedding (and it was expensive), but 10 years later, we're still happy. All of my friends and family who had 'big' weddings are all still married too.

Incidentally, I've never heard of black forest gateau being served at a wedding!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went to my first UK wedding last night since returning...the last one in the UK that I went to was erm about 6 years ago so I was curious to see what things had changed and what had stayed the same, especially the food..so here's our story..

I told my DD (who had never been to a UK wedding) what kind of food to expect, the usual suspects used to be:

sausage rolls
sandwiches (ham, roast beef and egg mayonnaise)
pasta salad
crisps
chicken legs
and of course not forgetting the black forest gateau for dessert

so in we went and of course everybody is hanging around the bar getting the orders in, the bride and groom are stood at the entrance greeting everybody and trying to remember their twice removed second cousin's aunty s name....

DD soon spotted a gang of kids playing balloon football on the empty dance floor and promptly dumped her cardigan with me and off she went to join them..the next 30 mins were spent saying hello to everyone and pointing out DD on the dance floor saying "that one's mine"..of course she then spent the next hour asking me "whens food going to be ready I'm starving" before running back off to play with her new mates..

The food was served at 9pm and what we didn't know is that in the back they had been cooking a whole hog on a slow burning spit and the chef went out, cut the pig up and was serving it on barms with stuffing and apple sauce and yes we were the first ones in the queue..

and then of course out came the rest of the buffet...and we were not disappointed...bread rolls, ham and beef on platters, Swedish meatballs, onion bhaji's, pasta salad, sausage rolls, coleslaw and mini kebabs..the only thing missing was the black forest gateau..now as someone with a massive sweet tooth, this was not on..

I was having murderous thoughts about the Chef, how in the hell could the Chef had missed this massive oversight when they brought out the wedding cake, all sliced up..DD was making sick noises because she thought it was fruit cake, but I was happy and ran over to get my share..only it wasn't fruit cake it was chocolate cake and lemon cake..oh I was in heaven and so was DD, so we snaffled 2 pieces each and of course I got two more and wrapped them up in napkins to take home for MIL..like you do..as you always get the "don't forget to bring me home a slice of wedding cake" request..

we were thoroughly entertained with an Irish band (as the groom was Irish) and of course the irish family members were all up doing their version of Riverdance (which was awesome) but made sure us english clod hoppers were too ashamed to go near the dance floor and embarrass ourselves, except for the kids they had now progressed to playing battle of the balloons...girls v's boys..(girls were winning by the way)

they did play the fiddle tune from Deliverance though, the banjo guy went up against the fiddle guy and had a play off..whilst everyone was clapping and stamping their feet..

Now if anybody's watched Peter Kaye, you'll know about weddings up north..and it was pretty much that to a T..uncle knob head got up dancing and sliding all over the dance floor and showing off his crappy dance moves, the oldies got up when YMCA came on with Rave-On the DJ took over from the band ( and yes he was really called Rave-On)..the kids were either running around chasing each over or showing off their air guitar moves on the dance floor..and the old fellas were all sat next to the bar holding fort and chatting to all the young ladies that came near them..

anyway, a great night was had by all, the bride and groom got raving drunk and so did all the guests.. most of the ladies had removed their high heels from dancing for soo long..and not one of the kids were bloody tired at 12am, the little buggers were still energized (probably from all the sugar in the cake)..

so it would seem that the food at weddings haven't changed much for as long as I can remember, a few variants, but not many..

so whats the food like in a US wedding? do you have traditional staple food that is always served or is each wedding different? can you stereotype weddings from the north or south like we can?..

And whats your best/worst wedding memory, whether it be your own or somebody elses...

I take it that's an evening buffet? What did you get to eat during the day?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:00 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
I know it's trendy to slag off big weddings these days, but I don't necessarily agree.

I had what most people would consider a big wedding (and it was expensive), but 10 years later, we're still happy. All of my friends and family who had 'big' weddings are all still married too.

Incidentally, I've never heard of black forest gateau being served at a wedding!
I knew someone would take my comments personally. I'm not being "trendy", and I'm not "slagging off" your wedding. Good on you if you had a big wedding and are happy in your marriage.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was more trendy to have a big wedding. My daughter tells me a wedding with less than 150 guests is considered small.

She can have whatever type of wedding she wants...within reason...or she can have a chunk of cash towards a home. The decision is hers...but she can't have both.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She can have whatever type of wedding she wants...within reason...or she can have a chunk of cash towards a home. The decision is hers...but she can't have both.
That's what my BFF parents told her 6 years ago - in the end she got both, a huge amazing wedding costing >$100K and 25% deposit on the house.

Divorce comes though in 2 weeks Still was a great bash
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:54 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I take it that's an evening buffet? What did you get to eat during the day?
Sorry I should have mentioned that I only went to the Evening do, not the full day..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.