Wikiposts

Flying an old dog to UK

Old Nov 20th 2011, 1:57 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying an old dog to UK

Originally Posted by Giovanni
The other airlines may have a climate control area to some degree but nothing like Lufthansa. The animal cargo is the same pressure and temperature as the people cabin on Lufthansa. They also transport the pets in a climate controlled van from the airport to the plane, no other airline does this.
Before moving to Europe from the US I asked my cousin who works for American Airlines, she said she would never fly a pet on AA only Lufthansa. So I called another cousin who retired from one of the companies that build planes and according to her, Lufthansa is the only company that orders planes with the proper set up for pets in Cargo. So right there that answered my question.
I woul love to fly her Lufthansa given what you have said, but I need to get to Scotland - so wouldn't work. I was thinking Air Transat to Manchester? I only want 1 flight for her, not 2, as stress free as possible.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:19 am
Just Joined

Giovanni will become famous soon enough

Just a thought, this is what I did. I flew from California to Munich, Germany, rented a vehicle and drove to Italy. I only wanted one flight for my pets.

Maybe find a flight to Germany to an airport closest to Calais France and take the tunnel across Calais to Dover and drive to Scotland. Just a thought, however that is what I would have done.

Just check with DEFRA for all time frames to make it to the border of Calais. I think you would be able to make it within the time frame of no sooner than 24 hours after treatment to less than 48 hours before arriving in the UK.

If you do it this way, make sure DEFRA is aware that you will fly from the US to Germany and drive from Germany to Calais. I think this would be ok, however always check with DEFRA, get an email from the person you spoke with.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
I woul love to fly her Lufthansa given what you have said, but I need to get to Scotland - so wouldn't work. I was thinking Air Transat to Manchester? I only want 1 flight for her, not 2, as stress free as possible.
Check with the airlines that fly the route Doll...I'm pretty sure there are many airlines that now offer similar conditions for pets who are flying with them.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Check with the airlines that fly the route Doll...I'm pretty sure there are many airlines that now offer similar conditions for pets who are flying with them.
... but don't forget Defra's list of approved routes.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Giovanni will become famous soon enough

Just a few DEFRA approved routes I know of: Sea France, P&O and Euro Tunnel. I prefer the tunnel, faster and you can stay in your car with your pets. I took Sea France, you have to leave your car for the journey across and leave your pets in the car, however they were kind enough to allow me to stay with my pets.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giovanni
I would recommend Lufthansa and only Lufthansa for flying pets. They are the only airlines that have a climate control pet area in cargo. I flew my pets from the US to Germany and my pets arrived safe and happy with no stress or recovery time. Hope all works out for you and your golden for a safe trip.
Unfortunately, for most people this won't be an option.