Flying an old dog to UK

Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:05 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying an old dog to UK

Anyone flown their dog back to UK or vice versa in the dreaded cargo hold of an airplane? Can you please share your experience with me? I have an 11 year old golden who enjoys her comforts in life and i'm scared to fly her. I looked in to the Queen Mary 2 but they only carry 12 pets, 6 large 6 small and fully booked for 2012 already!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice
Default Re: Flying an old dog to UK

I have heard that people cancel all the time and you should call them frequently to check on spaces. We plan on doing that our dog is 10 years old and we plan on heading home next year. I know someone that booked 12 weeks before she left the USA a space became available.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:06 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
I have heard that people cancel all the time and you should call them frequently to check on spaces. We plan on doing that our dog is 10 years old and we plan on heading home next year. I know someone that booked 12 weeks before she left the USA a space became available.
Good advice thanks. They told me 3 days ago that the waitlist for 2012 was now closed too
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Good advice thanks. They told me 3 days ago that the waitlist for 2012 was now closed too
Hey Doll...it's good to see you posting again.

Lots of people have taken dogs back to the UK from North America...several on the QM2. Do a quick search for Scout's posts...she took her dog back to the UK on the QM. People have posted on here before that they managed to get a cancellation kennel on the QM...so don't give up hope.

Dunroving has a lab who has crossed the pond back and forth a few times by air...I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you contacted him if you have any questions. His girl Susie must be getting on in years now.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

CarolPat is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone flown their dog back to UK or vice versa in the dreaded cargo hold of an airplane? Can you please share your experience with me? I have an 11 year old golden who enjoys her comforts in life and i'm scared to fly her. I looked in to the Queen Mary 2 but they only carry 12 pets, 6 large 6 small and fully booked for 2012 already!

I moved back to the UK from Atlanta this week with two cats. We arrived on a Delta flight on Wednesday and I'm amazed how smoothly the pet-shipping operation went. I used AnimalLand pet-shippers www.petmovers.com because it was my first time shipping pets and I found the additional cost worthwhile, especially when it turned out I had failed to include one document in their passports and my US contact secured it from my vet and sent it onto London in very short order. I thought the cats would be traumatized by the whole experience - about 24 hours total in transit - but, once out of the crates at home, they soon shook it off and were exploring. They arrived clean, in clean crates and I think had been well cared-for all along the line. I think your dog should be fine as long as you get a large enough crate for her. I found that everyone I dealt with was a pet-lover and regarded my cats as part of my family, not cargo. I hope this helps.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hey Doll...it's good to see you posting again.

Lots of people have taken dogs back to the UK from North America...several on the QM2. Do a quick search for Scout's posts...she took her dog back to the UK on the QM. People have posted on here before that they managed to get a cancellation kennel on the QM...so don't give up hope.

Dunroving has a lab who has crossed the pond back and forth a few times by air...I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you contacted him if you have any questions. His girl Susie must be getting on in years now.
Yep, Suzy has flown three times across the Atlantic, last time she was 10 years old. She did just fine every time, even though she is quite a nervous dog and doesn't typically travel well in cars, trains, boats, etc. (she slavers the whole time).

She's now an old girl, grey beard and eyebrows and all, and a bit dotty in her dotage - but then who isn't?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yep, Suzy has flown three times across the Atlantic, last time she was 10 years old. She did just fine every time, even though she is quite a nervous dog and doesn't typically travel well in cars, trains, boats, etc. (she slavers the whole time).

She's now an old girl, grey beard and eyebrows and all, and a bit dotty in her dotage - but then who isn't?

I have a 13 yr old black and tan King Charles Cavalier Spaniel...everyone thinks she's a pup. Last spring my daughter took her on a dog sponsored walk. The vet in attendance asked her age...when she said 13 he thought she meant 13 months. She skips and runs around like there's no tomorrow. As yet she hasn't developed any grey hairs...even around her muzzle.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 21st 2011 at 10:18 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dollface. I have an 11 year old Golden too. I must admit that I also have some concerns about this as he is a large dog (38 kg) and has torn cruciates on both of his back legs so stiffens up quickly if not able to move around.

Unfortunately QM2 is out of the question for me on the West Coast.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What's this? You're going back?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 2:17 am

Thank you for all your replies guys- very helpful.

Sal - Haven't 100% decided yet - going home next week to UK for a final look around and to decide once and for all so i'd say 80% sure...........Coming to LA in Dec to put that one to bed too, but Scotland winning hands doen at the moment - decisions decisions
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be flying back with 4 dogs next year. The youngest is about 8 the oldest about 13 (although he's only 4.5 lbs and acts like a puppy!!!) I totally understand your fears However if the vet gives them the all clear I'll feel better! I'm probably going to use a pet relocation service, it will be quite a bit more but that paperwork is sooooo bloody confusing!!! It will be worth it to know I have someone checking to see that I've crossed all my T's and dotted the I's

If I were back on the East coast I wouldn't be so worried caused the flight is so much shorter or I'd try the QM2.

Good luck
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by britwhore
I'll be flying back with 4 dogs next year. The youngest is about 8 the oldest about 13 (although he's only 4.5 lbs and acts like a puppy!!!) I totally understand your fears However if the vet gives them the all clear I'll feel better! I'm probably going to use a pet relocation service, it will be quite a bit more but that paperwork is sooooo bloody confusing!!! It will be worth it to know I have someone checking to see that I've crossed all my T's and dotted the I's

If I were back on the East coast I wouldn't be so worried caused the flight is so much shorter or I'd try the QM2.

Good luck
LA not working out for you?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

LA not working out for you?
I've been in LA for 9 years (14 years total in the US) it just never felt like home. I miss family My husband (also a Brit) and I have been talking about starting a family and I just can't see us raising a child in Hollywood. This place is mental!!!!

Just gotta sell this house
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your replies guys- very helpful.

Sal - Haven't 100% decided yet - going home next week to UK for a final look around and to decide once and for all so i'd say 80% sure...........Coming to LA in Dec to put that one to bed too, but Scotland winning hands doen at the moment - decisions decisions
Keep us posted.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Keep us posted.
Will do Sal!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.