Flying Dog back to Uk

Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all
Default Flying Dog back to Uk

We have only been in AUs for 7 weeks, and already want to go home.

Does anyone know how we can fly our dog back without her having to do 6 months quarantine in Uk when we get there?

Can anyone recommend any websites/shippers who can give us the advice we need?

From other threads i have tried to read, she will need a rabies jab, but how long in advance before travelling does she need this?

Any help appreciated
Old Sep 21st 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying Dog back to Uk

Originally Posted by goingozwards2007

Does anyone know how we can fly our dog back without her having to do 6 months quarantine in Uk when we get there?

From other threads i have tried to read, she will need a rabies jab, but how long in advance before travelling does she need this?

Any help appreciated
Hi,

If Oz is like Europe, your dog will need a rabies jab. Then a few weeks later a blood test to check she is clear. After the blood test (if it is clear) it will be 6 MONTHS until you can take her back to UK.

A bloody nightmare I know.

Have a look at the DEFRA website.

Another option is to put her into quarantine into kennels near you so you can visit.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Use the search option located in the pink bar at the top of the page...there's been loads of threads about taking dogs back to the UK.

This is a link to the Defra website:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Edit: I've done the search for you...just click on the titles to read the threads.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1051272
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

goingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to allgoingozwards2007 is a name known to all

Thanks for the links, although i can't seem to open the second link you attached.

I will try and search for some myself, or if anyone has some kind of checklist available i wouldn't mind having a copy.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links, although i can't seem to open the second link you attached.

I will try and search for some myself, or if anyone has some kind of checklist available i wouldn't mind having a copy.

Thanks again.
Here it is again...it worked last night maybe it timed out:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1052796

If you have a problem use the search function at the top of the page. Go to Advanced Search, on the left hand side select 'Search Titles Only' and put it something like 'pets returning to UK', or 'taking dogs to the UK' etc. Then go to the bottom right hand side of the page, you will see a list of forums...choose Moving Back to the UK forum...the press search or hit enter.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 22nd 2007 at 10:39 am.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

jonjelly will become famous soon enoughjonjelly will become famous soon enough

Depending on when you are hoping to go back this might help... if you got your dog the rabies jab now then in a month had the blood test done if its clear say you then booked the flights etc your dog has already done part of the quarantine period with you and you can fly your dog back over and finish the paper work off in the uk, the quarantine would apply for early release. i know it might only be a month less quarantine but its better than nothing??? hope this makes sense....good luck
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Here's a reply direct from DEFRA:

Essentially, for an animal to enter (or return to) the UK as part of the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) and thus avoid quarantine, the following procedures must be carried out in the stated order:

1). Animal is micro-chipped,

2). It is vaccinated against rabies, and

3). A blood sample is drawn and tested in a European Union (EU) approved laboratory. If the required level of antibodies is reached, the animal may enter the UK 6 calendar months after the date that the sample was drawn, assuming that all other rules of the Scheme are met.

Further to this, pets must be treated against ticks and tapeworm not less than 24 hours and not more than 48 hours before checking in with a PETS authorised carrier (on a PETS approved route), for the journey that brings the pet into the UK.

Please note after the above has been completed you should be able to obtain a third country veterinary certificate from your vet detailing the above. The third country veterinary certificate is only valid for 4 months, so I would advise acquiring just prior to travel.

A health certificate may be required by the carrier so I would advise checking with them prior to travel, if a health certificate is required you should be able to obtain this from a vet.
Hope this helps.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

FlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really niceFlumpBrain is just really nice

Any help appreciated

Hi goingozwards2007,
I'm new to BE and planning to move to Brisbane Feb 2008. I just wondered whats so bad about the place that your planning to come home already ? It's making me worried about going ! Would you mind ? Any advice is much appreciated !
Thanx x
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
Hi,

If Oz is like Europe, your dog will need a rabies jab. Then a few weeks later a blood test to check she is clear. After the blood test (if it is clear) it will be 6 MONTHS until you can take her back to UK.

A bloody nightmare I know.

Have a look at the DEFRA website.

Another option is to put her into quarantine into kennels near you so you can visit.
No its not like that - its better news

you can choose the country where the dog has the quarantine.
So if you want to fly the dog back earlier so long as they go straight into quarantine in the UK for the time limit, its ok to do it from there.
with the dog in uk quarantine, visiting might be easier.
I took mine back last year - he was fine.

But I kept up his rabies jab in Oz so didnt need any quarantine.It will be the same for you if the dog had his rabies jab less than a year ago. Rabies jabs have to be given annually to stay effective. My dog was first vaccinated in the UK in Aug 2005 and we returned May 2006. Therefore, because the jabs were still up-to-date (ie less than a year before flying back) no quarantine necessary. Just the blood test to show jab still effective.

The funny thing is they get jet-lagged too. Sleeping all day, waking me up for food at night for a couple of days LOL

Last edited by chance to be; Sep 28th 2007 at 8:41 pm. Reason: made clearer
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Any help appreciated
Sorry - cant do multiple quotes but if you read my message above you will see you definately DONT need quarantine if youve been there such a short time. I did it so know Im right
Cant remember the name of the Oz shippers - sorry but pm me if you want more.
They go really quickly through customs when you pick them up off the plane - its much simpler coming back
good luck

Chrissy
Old Oct 1st 2007, 9:08 am
Just Joined

shazz101 is an unknown quantity at this point

we are just doing all this with our dog,you have to have a rabies shot,we were strongly advised to have another shot 30 days later just to make sure it worked(i think this is a bit of a scam myself but what do you do?)then exactly 30 days later you have the blood tests done,which get sent via Melbourne then to Scotland for testing!! this can take up to 5 weeks to get the results, providing the blood tests are ok your dog can fly no earlier than 6 months from the day she had the blood test taken.

)