Flying with Cats

Old Jan 16th 2019, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

kaycole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying with Cats

Hi Everyone,
Despite searching here, I cannot find any recent experiences with people shipping their pets by air (via cargo) with them from the US (philly) to the UK. I know that pets are not permitted into the UK by any other method except cargo but I need to know how this experience was for those that have been through it and how costly it was. Seems I will be paying the cargo fees and then for someone to pick up the cats at the other end and bring them to the animal health check center at the airport (manchester). I know it can take up to 4 hours for the animals to clear the UK custom and animal health center at the cargo location. I cannot afford to use a private company and taking the Cunard is out of the question as I am leaving in March and they have year or more wait lists. I know some people avoid the UK and fly to France and then make their own way to the UK to avoid a lot of the cost, but to me that is going to make the already long and arduous journey unbearable for my cats. Much easier with a dog you can walk, not so for cats. I also know all the rules for getting the health certificate and I am fine with that, my concern is how difficult and costly is this flight going to end up being. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited by kaycole; Jan 16th 2019 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 7:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Flying with Cats

Hi there and welcome to BE.

You haven't said where you are . If it is the USA or Canada then I do know of someone that took her diabetic cat in the cabin with her from Canada . She drove from the USA with the cat to Canada. She used Air Canada for herself and her cat. However I will go later and double check this.

My own cats emigrated with me to New Zealand some 15 years ago. They did two back to back long hauls of approx 9 hrs and 12 hours plus an internal flight with no ill effects whatsoever.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bevs. Unfortunately the UK does not allow any pets by cabin into or out of the country. All animals come in via cargo and the only way around this is to fly to Europe and arrive by road into the UK. But thanks for your response.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 8:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kaycole
Hi Bevs. Unfortunately the UK does not allow any pets by cabin into or out of the country. All animals come in via cargo and the only way around this is to fly to Europe and arrive by road into the UK. But thanks for your response.

Yes. I am aware of this.

As I said I will go and double check as it may be they flew Canada / Ireland which I know for certain that someone did but I was thinking of another diabetic cat.

I do know she had to drive some way from the USA into Canada and then take the flight . I also know she was expecting a huge issue at the other end but there was none really.

I am in New Zealand so it will be later on.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone,
Despite searching here, I cannot find any recent experiences with people shipping their pets by air (via cargo) with them from the US (philly) to the UK. I know that pets are not permitted into the UK by any other method except cargo but I need to know how this experience was for those that have been through it and how costly it was. Seems I will be paying the cargo fees and then for someone to pick up the cats at the other end and bring them to the animal health check center at the airport (manchester). I know it can take up to 4 hours for the animals to clear the UK custom and animal health center at the cargo location. I cannot afford to use a private company and taking the Cunard is out of the question as I am leaving in March and they have year or more wait lists. I know some people avoid the UK and fly to France and then make their own way to the UK to avoid a lot of the cost, but to me that is going to make the already long and arduous journey unbearable for my cats. Much easier with a dog you can walk, not so for cats. I also know all the rules for getting the health certificate and I am fine with that, my concern is how difficult and costly is this flight going to end up being. Any advice would be much appreciated.
We just sent our dog from Florida to the UK in December
We used a pet relocation company as we are still in the US waiting for hubbies spousal visa decision.
If you are not flying with your cat and not flying within 5 days of the pet then they have to fly commercial ( which was the case for our dog)
Also if you are not flying with the dog and within 5 days then they have to fly into a BIP airport and Manchester is not a BIP airport. We wanted our dog to fly in to Manchester to.

The dog flew Lufthansa from Tampa to Frankfurt then to heathrow where he stayed overnight ( they can stay free for 24 hours)
The pet relocation company drove him to my mother’s home in NW england. He was also on medication and certain airlines will not take if on medication.

We also had to complete a ToR which you can do online.
The dog did really well but did have some jet lag for the first few days
In Frankfurt we paid extra for the Lufthansa VIP pet service so the dog was taken out of his kennel fed given water and walked , they also sent us a picture.
We also had a tracking number so we received emails on where he was and anticipated arrival times including being offloaded from the planes .

if you have questions after looking at the links you can contact the ARC ( animal reception center at London heathrow )
Good luck

Old Jan 16th 2019, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Everyone,
To get costs call the airlines you are considering flying with. I know some one recently sent 2 dogs they where medium sizes and it cost $1800, you also have to pay for the USDA certificate which is a few hundred $ then the vaccines etc.
Kennels and crates have to meet certain guidelines ( you may already have )
Old Jan 16th 2019, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sammy. Unfortunately a pet shipping service will just be too expensive so I have to try to do this myself. I will definitely check in with the pet center and airlines. By the way what is a BIP airport? I know that Manchester and LHR are the only two British airports that will accept pet cargo. I figured Manchester would be a little less hectic than LHR to travel through and its my usual stop. Best wishes and I am glad your dog had a good experience.
Old Jan 16th 2019, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sammy. Unfortunately a pet shipping service will just be too expensive so I have to try to do this myself. I will definitely check in with the pet center and airlines. By the way what is a BIP airport? I know that Manchester and LHR are the only two British airports that will accept pet cargo. I figured Manchester would be a little less hectic than LHR to travel through and its my usual stop. Best wishes and I am glad your dog had a good experience.
I know not cheap for sure our dog was a rescue he’s a cocker spaniel
BIP is a border inspection port.
Virgin Atlantic, fly animals so give them a call if they fly from Philly to Manchester.
Most airlines have strict guidelines and most of the BIP like advance notice of the animals arrival.
Look at petrelocation.com they have some good info which maybe helpful. This is who we used however the website is free
Good luck I know it’s a stressful time flying our fur babies
Old Jan 17th 2019, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Do, do some comparisons on costs of doing it yourself against using a company. We found the cost difference wasn't that high - a few hundred.

If if you do it yourself, do be VERY thorough as the people at the airport were very nice, but very thorough. There was a family there when we were there picking up their cat but it was being refused entry due to a very minor mistake in the paperwork.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Charlie12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We have quite a bit of experience traveling with our pets Oman to Uae , Uae to Bahrain , and now in March Bahrain home to Yorkshire and indeed it is very stressful to say the least.
We have 3 cats of our own and 2 rescues that are being adopted out currently , one is going to the UK and I started to do all the paperwork and arrangements myself to save costs but gave into the fear of doing something wrong and decided to send it with ours by the relocation company we are using .
could not stand the thought of anything going wrong and the little one being stuck in the airport until things are put right.

we do have to fly them into London and then the company will transport them to our own home in Yorkshire where we will be waiting nervously , we will all be flying the same day and we will be more worried about them than anything we always are.

The cost is high but we have planned a long time to return home and cut out the luxuries to save save save to try and minimize the stress on the move day , good luck and I hope everything goes to plan with the move and I admire anyone that relocates animals with them , here in the middle east there is a massive issue with dumped animals when expats leave which is heartbreaking .
Old Jan 18th 2019, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply Charlie and Verystormy!
Old Jan 19th 2019, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my 10lb min pin back with me to UK. I would suggest that you acquaint yourself with the UK government website for their rules on this and you will need a USDA accredited vet to sign off on the health certificate. I did the move myself and on reflection it was a mountain of panic for me but I was in the middle of moving from bush Alaska to the UK after losing my husband only 7 months earlier - so it could just have been that I was overwhelmed and everything I did i had paranoid thought on.

started with UK website and built a timeline as some of the things need to be done in advance - micro chipping for example has to be done first and then rabies vaccine. something you may already have done if you live in a city that requires this of dog owners? Living in bush Alaska a lot of the services available to townies are just not there for rural communities. You will also need to be aware of the requirements for crates.... i read and viewed a lot of info from youtube that HARC put on there (Heathrow Animal Reception Centre) and also the airline you intend to fly with. I used Virgin - they will not handle pets over a weekend - other do i believe? Check with the airlines - they can all be different.

The health certificate i Alaska required the State Vet as well as the USDA to be involved. In my experience the State vet checked over the paperwork and picked up a few things the USDA vet had missed - like ensuring the vaccine manufacturer and active compound for both the tapeworm treatment and rabies were specific.

I made a complete nuisance of myself with the state vet and luckily he was a real gentleman, patient and kind. Of course some of this may not be relevant for a cat some of it will . Check your cat is not listed as ones that cannot fly - some breeds will not be allowed to fly - check the list.

I am pretty sure there are other things - i cannot remember it all now a it was a fuzzy blur at the time and did not go smoothly - mostly down to the usda vet not being totally aware of how to fill out the health certificate - I actually think that the admin person filled the forms out and simply told the vet where to sign.

I did also have to pay VAT as i did not have a TOR number - i didnt have any big thigs to bring back so most of my personal stuff i shipped via usps the bigger stuff i ended up selling .

I did all of it myself including dropping the dog off at delta air cargo office - i made sure the hotel i was staying at the night before was right across from the
hotel! then used the hotel shuttle service to get to the airport. I know the cost can be considerable - i know the dog cost more than my airfare but it can be done but if yu are going to do it yourself you must be diligent in educating yourself ( and maybe others) on the process. If cost isnt a concern it mght be worth getting someone else to do it.

Wishing you the best