Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

fly in 6 days - are they really strict on baggage allowance?!?!

fly in 6 days - are they really strict on baggage allowance?!?!

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:38 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default fly in 6 days - are they really strict on baggage allowance?!?!

I appear to have a very heavy suitcase!!!! Ive not put it on the scales yet, but its not fully packed and my mum just phoned to say shes bought me summit that weighs maybe 2 kilos (i have NO idea what tho )

We are flying business class and have a limit of 32kg.................will they charge me loads if im over it???????
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:14 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly in 6 days - are they really strict on baggage allowance?!?!

Originally Posted by mellybrown

I appear to have a very heavy suitcase!!!! Ive not put it on the scales yet, but its not fully packed and my mum just phoned to say shes bought me summit that weighs maybe 2 kilos (i have NO idea what tho )

We are flying business class and have a limit of 32kg.................will they charge me loads if im over it???????
Don't know if leniency in this respect is more about the airline you're flying with or the mood of the check-in agent.

We finally left LHR back in Feb 2005. We were ticketed economy, but thanks to a friend behind the scenes had our reservation market SFU (suitable for upgrade).

The check-in agent (quite rightly, by the book) took exception to the fact that three of our four cases was between 1 and 5 kg over the limit. We pleaded our case ("we're emigrating - we have no-where else to put this stuff!") to no avail. We had all four cases open on the floor in front of the desk and held up proceedings for the next 10 minutes as we juggled items around - all very stressful and embarrassing.

We walked away from the check-in desk with boarding passes for first class(!) and about four carrier bags of random stuff each (in addition to our hand luggage).

I pity the poor folk who had paid for first as when they saw us struggling up the stairs they must have thought the bag people were moving in. To be fair we didn't smell too badly and did behave for most of the flight.

If you're over limit it's not always about paying extra - there are strict per bag weight limits that simply can't be exceeded (70lbs?). Check the airline's (or BAA?) website for this.

Edit: And we realized we had a big problem on that very morning before leaving our flat for the last time. All our boxes had been picked up a few days before but we ended up with another whole box-worth of stuff that wouldn't fit in our cases. I had to run down to the post office - the bloody thing cost about a 100 quid to send! That came out of our own pockets as it was down to our own plain stupidity...

Last edited by tonrob; Mar 2nd 2008 at 1:18 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
Don't know if leniency in this respect is more about the airline you're flying with or the mood of the check-in agent.

We finally left LHR back in Feb 2005. We were ticketed economy, but thanks to a friend behind the scenes had our reservation market SFU (suitable for upgrade).

The check-in agent (quite rightly, by the book) took exception to the fact that three of our four cases was between 1 and 5 kg over the limit. We pleaded our case ("we're emigrating - we have no-where else to put this stuff!") to no avail. We had all four cases open on the floor in front of the desk and held up proceedings for the next 10 minutes as we juggled items around - all very stressful and embarrassing.

We walked away from the check-in desk with boarding passes for first class(!) and about four carrier bags of random stuff each (in addition to our hand luggage).

I pity the poor folk who had paid for first as when they saw us struggling up the stairs they must have thought the bag people were moving in. To be fair we didn't smell too badly and did behave for most of the flight.

If you're over limit it's not always about paying extra - there are strict per bag weight limits that simply can't be exceeded (70lbs?). Check the airline's (or BAA?) website for this.

Edit: And we realized we had a big problem on that very morning before leaving our flat for the last time. All our boxes had been picked up a few days before but we ended up with another whole box-worth of stuff that wouldn't fit in our cases. I had to run down to the post office - the bloody thing cost about a 100 quid to send! That came out of our own pockets as it was down to our own plain stupidity...
What I would suggest is an extra case rather than an overweight one.
When I flew business class to move here I brought 9 suitcases and they didn't charge me for ANY!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:36 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
When I flew business class to move here I brought 9 suitcases and they didn't charge me for ANY!
Good idea. Might have been a safer option for us (even if more expensive as having being ticketed economy I assume there would have been a charge) but as OP is ticketed business class then she could be ok. Again, airline's own website for their "official" policy on number of cases allowed may be a good starting point.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:39 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
hmmm I may have to find one of those little pull along ones....

I cant lift the huge suitcase I have - and have no actually done something to my lower back that feels like im getting slice in half whenever I pick something up!!!!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

You could always ship a bag seperately using one of these guys if you dont want the hassle:

http://www.excess-baggage.com/air_freight_prices.php

http://www.xsbaggage.com/php/Wapproxrates_us_dh.php
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:47 am
Septic Sprout

hmmm I may have to find one of those little pull along ones....

I cant lift the huge suitcase I have - and have no actually done something to my lower back that feels like im getting slice in half whenever I pick something up!!!!!!!
I strained my back sometime during the whole packing up process, and it didn't feel right until a couple of months after we got here.

We bought those Samsonites that have a wheel in each corner, which are bloody brilliant. No matter how heavy, when on a smooth airport floor you can push them along with one finger. (And sit on them and ride down ramps!)
The only downside is that the suitcases themselves weigh slightly more than regular ones.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:58 am
Resident Sillycow

Originally Posted by tonrob
I strained my back sometime during the whole packing up process, and it didn't feel right until a couple of months after we got here.

We bought those Samsonites that have a wheel in each corner, which are bloody brilliant. No matter how heavy, when on a smooth airport floor you can push them along with one finger. (And sit on them and ride down ramps!)
The only downside is that the suitcases themselves weigh slightly more than regular ones.
I wanna ride on the ramps!!!!

I got bought a samsonite bag as a wedding gift that im using as my hand luggage (altho it is HUGE!!)

I guess I should probably weigh the case and be done with it - hubby can lift it off the carousel thingy for me
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:09 am
Septic Sprout

I wanna ride on the ramps!!!!

I got bought a samsonite bag as a wedding gift that im using as my hand luggage (altho it is HUGE!!)

I guess I should probably weigh the case and be done with it - hubby can lift it off the carousel thingy for me
Riding down the ramps is definitely the best bit. You get that adrenaline rush of knowing that you probably can't stop even if you want to (and the heaver the load the better for this). Coupled with no ability to steer whatsoever and you've got the ultimate airport thrill.

The look of terror on the faces of those sharing the ramp with you is priceless too.

Now I think about it Mrs tonrob and I have never had a race...

('scuse me - off to expedia...)
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:13 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

don't know which airline you are travelling with but i choose continental businessfirst and they allow max 3x32kg per pax per trip.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:18 am

JEM3110 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you are allowed 2 cases to check in and 1 bag to take into cabin. Make sure your 32 kg allowance is distributed between the 2 cases and that neither of them exceeds 23kg/50lbs and you should be OK. We were slightly over on 1 piece of luggage recently on a trip to UK and got charged $50. I believe the size of the suitcase also is a factor, ( better check with the airline ) - probably a health and safety issue re the baggage handlers.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

The UK airports have a weight restriction for health and safety I believe so if your bag weighs more than the allowance the baggage handlers aren't allowed to lift it, which is why they make you re-pack it. Definitely bring something you can re-pack into if you suspect you might go over.
We flew from Amsterdam so we didn't have that problem. But we did have 12 cases and 2 buggies between the three of us (plus carry-on!) and we flew economy plus with United. We were supposed to pay $100 for each extra bag over our limit (2 per person), and excess baggage by the kilo on the ones that were over the maximum per bag (30kg). In the end we paid for 4 extra bags and not the extra weight after begging and pleading that we were moving. The flight wasn't full so I think that made a difference.
You should check the website of your airline to check if they have a policy regarding extra bags and excess weight. Then you know what you can bargain them down on!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

make sure ur suitcase isnt over the weight that includes excess .. because they just wont take it, dont matter how much ur wiling to pay and that is with most airlines. They will probably turn a blind eye to an extra suitcase rather than one that no bugger can pick up..!! dont go mad on the hand luggage either, because its a bugger if its all at ur feet for 8 hours and more... especially on a connecting flight thru some of these airports..
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:11 am
Resident Sillycow

hmmm thanks for all the info. We are flying with Delta, business class - im starting to think 2 cases are going to be better than one...

I shall have a look at what I have and see what I can do.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:37 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Suitcases by themselves weight quite a bit. I have one beast that is almost 10kg with the wheels and whatnot, and that takes a bit out of my overall.

When we travel for months or so, we often take 'duffel' bags which are made of ripstop something and fold flat. When you pack it full of soft things, like clothes, you get the full allowance in there losing almost nothing as the bag weighs itself next to nothing.

If you are on the edge, consider taking a coat with alot of pockets. You can throw some small but heavy items into the pockets of your coat and 'carry' that onto the plane with you. They will weigh your carry ons, but won't weigh your coat so can get around a bit with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.